Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs Avalanche - one death

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I heard a report on Radio Les Arcs at breakfast time this morning, that there was a serious avalanche in Les Arcs yesterday:three people were involved, and one was killed. Also, because of the high temperatures forecast today, the head pisteur, Serge, said there was a 5/5 alert in certain areas, so be careful out there, and keep to the pistes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An update on the avalanche: I bumped into a pisteur today, who gave me the lowdown - as originally stated there were 3 men skiing over the back of Aiguille Rouge, on the popular off piste route from the top of Grand Col to Villaroger. They were very experienced with over 25 years' skiing under their belts. They were using ARVA equipment, but , crucially, did not check the weather forecast. Earlier that day,12 noon, a guide turned back because he thought the piste was unstable. In the afternoon, there was a big rise in temperatures, and the inevitable happened - a 100metre wide slab avalanche triggered by the`skiers. Two of them were brothers, one of them was buried & killed, the other was found with his arm sticking out of the snow, but is in Bourg St Maurice, seriously ill, in a coma, the other one is OK. They were French.
So it is not just sufficient, when you go off-piste, to have all the gear, you must speak to the local experts, and ask their advice re the conditions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fj, On Friday some of the black runs over in La Plagne near Montalbert were shut due to avalance risk but there were still people going under the ropes and doing them Shocked Mad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fj, you remind us of the excellent advice: the only way to make sure you survive an avalanche is not to get into one in the first place.
"All the gear" does not guarantee survival: it just increases your chances of surival.
Many are killed outright by the impact. "All the gear" is no use then.
Lots of snow is forecast this coming week. Lets all be careful out there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is always some who think that the reason for roping off a run is to make it more of a challenge.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was out with a local at Les Arcs on 15 March and he apologized for avoiding some of the more dangerous areas, but he felt the snow was unsafe...we saw many areas that had slid on Thursday or Friday. While the majority of these were probably caused by blasting, it was still unusally to see so many slides...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ccl, I have ducked a few ropes in my time but firstly I have checked the reasons why the piste was closed. Rocks showing or ice near the bottom can make it more of a challenge, but unstable slopes are a big no no.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy