Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire French side of Geneva airpt - how do I get there?

Poster: A snowHead
sorry - really boring
... can anyone help or direct me to previous threads
GVA swiss side seems to have run out of cars (at a sensible price) for the Easter weekend so we've had to book from the French side.
a) Where do we go when we get off the plane
b) When we return the car - how do we get back without using Swiss motorway?

Thanks in anticipation
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham, go to www.gva.ch and click through to French sector, lots of information and you can download a map.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks David...
Didnt realise it was all on the airport website. I had a memory of snowheads saying it was complicated...
It doesnt look it - am I missing something?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham, no, you're not missing anything it's easier and quicker to get through than the International sector and the routes are easy to follow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
When we return the car - how do we get back without using Swiss motorway?

Unless you're desperate to save a few bob, it's always easier and often quicker to go on the motorway, in both directions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
getting back to the French side is complicated when you return the car!! But the car hire people will probably give you directions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, the directions the hire car company usually give for the return are laughable and not really that explicit unless a pink highlighter pen showing the last hundred meters or so is enough. jayne durham, it is only complicated if you are in a rush or if you are going at a time when there is a lot of traffic and the urge then is to find a sign that says 'airport' and follow it to safety - if you do this you end up in the Swiss sector.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,
Quote:

Quote:
When we return the car - how do we get back without using Swiss motorway?

Unless you're desperate to save a few bob, it's always easier and often quicker to go on the motorway, in both directions.

But I thought that if you hired from the French side you don't get the Vignette as part of the deal. Therefore to use the motorway jayne durham, will have to buy one?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Directions on using the motorway only for a little bit (ie not at the border where you will get done) here:
http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/transfers.htm#hirecompanies
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bring your Tom Tom and you can avoid the tolls easy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, exactly. That's why I said "unless you're desperate to save a few bob". The vignette costs the same as a few beers on the slopes and it can save you pulling your hair out. Might even save your marriage.... But if you're a confident navigator with a good map (don't even think of using a GPS for this job) and plenty of time, it can certainly be done without using the motorway.

Getting back to the French side, from the motorway, you stay on till the exit AFTER the motorway (assuming you are coming from the Chamonix/Annecy side, not Lausanne), then take the signposting to Ferney Voltaire until you go through the border. Ignore ALL signs to the airport until you are through into France again, then you see a very insignificant looking sign, sending you to the left immediately after the border, up a road with high barbed wire fences on both sides. Just remember Ferney Voltaire and ignore all signs to the airport.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone.
Pam I dont think I could bear to buy a vignette. We've got one on our own car at home and it would just irritate me to have to buy it..
Rather have some more beer!!
Will make husband navigate so at least I can shout at HIM rather than the other way round... that will hopefully preserve the marriage as he is more tolerant!... and we will try to leave plenty of time.

We booked a car on the Swiss side and then they phoned to say that had run out and cancelled us! All the hire companies at that point were charging nearly double what we are paying for hiring on the French side (as long as the car turns up!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, having just got back last night after hiring a car on the french side and not having the vignette I can give you some very detailed advice!!!

Firstly when we arrived in Geneva we were on the Swiss side. You have to go up a level to get to the French area where the car desks are clearly laid out. Find your rental desk and get all your stuff. You then go through the double doors, along the corridor and down some steps and you'll find the cars (do what we did if you can't find your car; keep pressing the button on the key whilst running up and down watching for some lights to flash!). Our car didn't have a vignette but we were given clear directions on how to get out and get back in. It's really not as difficult as we thought. National car hire even gave us some printed road signs with crosses through the ones not to follow and ticks on the signs to follow.

Basically you head towards Geneva centre (again, not as scary as we thought), you then head for the lake (lac) and keep it on your left, going past the big fountain. We were heading for the A40 Chamonix so we followed signs for there. Easy.

Coming back we did what Pam W says (thanks for my advice Pam, it worked!), you basically (if coming off A40) come off at Vallard exit and keep heading for Geneva centre and the lake and this time keep the lake on your right. We made a mistake and had it on our left but managed to turn around. The road is right by the Lake and you just follow it around until you start seeing lots of things (hotels, car parks etc) referring to Mont Blanc as you will shortly be heading over the Mont Blanc bridge. As soon as you see signs for Ferney follow those and ignore all airport signs. Go through the border.

We then came to a roundabout which was signposted airport and we turned left and then spotted a sign for Airport french side and headed down the barbed wire road where you'll spot the sign for rental car drop off which is literally a U turn back on yourself. Turn right straight after into the parking for hire cars. If it's absolutely jammed full of people and cars, drive round the one way parking and back out, then just do a 3 point turn to go back in where you came, and instead of doing the U turn where it's signed, straight in front is an area of parking bays. Just dump it there, go back up the stairs, along the corridor and through the double doors into the check in/car hire area and tell them where it is. We had to do this as the traffic was so bad cos of the motor show we were worried about missing check in.

We had a problem yesterday in that it was Geneva motor show so having queued for ages initially, to get back to the French side was a blessing as it wasn't in the area of the jams.

Honestly, I was so worried when we went last week that I was dreading the drive and all the potential problems but you will be absolutely fine. It was dead easy. And, by not having the vignette you get the lovely drive along the lake!

The tolls we had to pay (twice each way for us) were about 1 euro 80 each toll.

So remember, going out Lake on left, coming back Lake on right.

Have a great time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just dont try and do this late at night as the french customs close at about 11.30pm. we were due to land at 11pma dn got delayed a bit. we simply couldnt get into france as it was closed....i know this sounds laughable but it really was closed !!! we were stuck with a 3 yr old and the grandparents. the europcar people on the swiss side simply did not want to know and i nearly got arrested as i was shouting at them so much...i was very annoyed that they are the same company but they simply dismissed us and said it was not their problem. there were several others in the same predicament. lcukily we had booked the local formule Une hotel for the night so we got a taxi and then I got a taxi back the next morning to pick up the hire car. now i will alwways go for a car ont eh swiss side only !!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
backhojo, that must have been very annoying, but to be fair, lots of airport car hire desks would be closed at that time of night, in all but big international centres. Anytime you are going to arrive at that kind of time you need chapter and verse from the car hire company about the time the desks will closed - and leave time for delays.

It is actually possible to get through from the Swiss side to the French side of the airport after closing time (there's a sign, and you have to pick up a phone and ask) but of course, that would be no help if the car hire desks are closed.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice... Thanks AllyK for the up to date and detailed account!
Blackhojo - that is a real issue isnt it!... We are going after work - landing 22.00... so should be ok - but if the flight is delayed - we are up the creek without a paddle!
Know that the car hire desk might shut -but never heard of a COUNTRY shutting before!!!
snow report
pam w, I think it was the border post that was shut.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy