Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Discount ski rental shops in France suffer arson attack

Poster: A snowHead
A new discount ski hire chain with 23 shops in leading French ski resorts - Ski Republic -has been attacked by local saboteurs and arsonists determined to close them down...

This report by Henry Samuel from Telegraph.co.uk.

The shop in Sainte Foy was set alight. Branches in Tignes had their front windows smashed.
Quote:
In one night, five of Ski Republic's collection vehicles had their tyres slashed and plastic roof covers punctured, while several shop owners could not get through the front door after glue was poured into the locks.

Anyone got any views on Ski Republic and the reaction to it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, crikey. Hadn't even heard of them Do you reckon someone will try and set fire to Bilek and Conrad's websites?

I find buying mid-season kit quite cheap enough, and you can be assured of quality.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good on Ski Republic. Most Alpine ski shops are a total rip off. for example i boughyt a pair of Cebe goggles in a uk millets for £20 (not discounted. in the alps the same pair were priced at € 95 Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thats a worry trying to set fire to the shop as my apartment is above Ski Set and Ski Republic is next door! Most of the kit in Ski Republic is not up to the standard of that supplied by other outlets in Ste Foy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a cheeky wheeze, with a witty name, I'll grant it that. The French spell the name Republic ... err ... Republique. Therefore it's an assault on the French language (as well as an assault on local ski hire cartels in resorts).

One can understand why the counter-revolutionary forces and saboteurs in peaceful Alpine villages are now on the streets. I wonder if there's any Anglo-Saxon equity in this new business?

I imagine there's a lot of very interesting discussion in the police squads of Tignes and other resorts right now.

[As an aside, this story was switched from 'Piste' to 'News' without my consent. I don't agree to it]
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

I wonder if there's any Anglo-Saxon equity in this new business?

Possibly Welsh wink

(As an aside I think it looks better in 'News' Very Happy )
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting to read the reactions in le Figaro (equivalent of the Telegraph in France)

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualites/2008/03/12/01001-20080312ARTFIG00361-un-loueur-de-ski-low-cost-semelazizanie-en-savoie.php
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting. It's a great scoop. It seems that the Figaro got it first, but the Telegraph followed up with some quite enterprising fresh interviews, especially with the Scottish manager of the Sainte Foy shop.

The Figaro story says the business is funded with 8 to 10 million Euros and stocked with 17,000 pairs of skis. I daresay UK consumers, to whom the business is clearly highly pitched (according to the Telegraph story), won't generally give a toss as to who they're doing business with. I wonder what French consumers make of the 'father to son' tradition of Alpine village ski shops?

[boredsurfin, of course it looks better in News. That is not the issue, and it'll be interesting to have an open discussion with admin on this.]
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BTW, I'm wondering if Henry Samuel, who filed the Telegraph story, is in any way related to John Samuel - one of the great ski racing writers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had heard that they had upset a lot of small independent retailers in Alpine regions - came in with a lot of money, and just undercut everyone elses prices, with one goal in mind of killing off all competition. They can afford to take any losses as they have such big backing. This obviously upset a lot of people who have lived and worked in the Alps for many years, as they have effectively been forced out of business.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But, according to Le Figaro, Ski Republic is facing down the sabotage with private security - and dogs!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In one corner, traditional French protectionism (at least as marked in Alpine commerce as in other areas), in the other, large scale outside cash trying to push local firms out of business. Perhaps they'll knock each other out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ultimately it'll be down to profit, I guess. The local police are likely to wring their hands as much as they can (and are bound to side with the locals, spiritually). If Ski Republic end up with watchtowers, dogs and an all-night ski patrol outside their shops it might be costly.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with you David (Strewth!!)....in general, your average tourist doesn't care who he rents from, as long as the product is available. I steer clear of saying the product being fit for purpose, as I strongly suspect that Ski Republic are from the 'one size too big fits all' and 'ski's to level of your eyebrows, DIN to 5' school of rental....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
No stinky boots

In my experience, owner-user boots smell worse than rental boots. Maybe they could share their secrets.
Quote:
All brand new equipment

Does that make Ski Republic legally obliged to supply brand new equipment?
Quote:
Free helmet

Sounds like the staff could use them

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 13-03-08 12:21; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
They probably offer Club Card points as well!
snow conditions
Article about their start up, gives some clues as to who they are !
http://www.cnbceb.com/Articles/2008/March/39/ski-republic----slinding-market-.aspx
snow report
Arrogant with the capital letter A.

There's a world of difference between Virgin - which challenged a state airline - and muscling into remote closely-knit Alpine communities. I wonder if De Souza will win hearts and minds with his tactics.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
There's a world of difference between Virgin - which challenged a state airline - and muscling into remote closely-knit Alpine communities.

As many non French ski instructors found in the past.
snow report
I hope SZK has a better alibi than he was on Snowheads at the time Wink
ski holidays
Would anyone care to admit to having rented from Ski Republic this winter? And did you have to enter/leave the shop with a fat bloke wearing shades and a dodgy suit?
latest report
I think this project is awesome, and fair play to it's founders. I have struggled in my time here to convince one of the companies i work for to embrace the British business mentality, having then been dismissed as being British and blinkered. Each year they then come closer to the concepts and ideas i outlined some 4 years ago. For the company in question, i fear it's too late, time will tell. "Vive la Republic."
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I think this project is awesome ..."

Thank you. Could you start Monday?
Please bring one of your more aggressive zoo animals.
ski holidays
Guvnor, Mate these businesses have indeed been around for many years. Many of them IMO having serviced a need purely for business reasons, money. If these businesses have then not moved with the times and in many, if not all cases not provided a good standard of service then they have only themselves to blame. I see the rental business in Sham as awful. I know of only one dedicated to doing it in a proper manner. Poor product, bad condition and ineffective staff. There is room for somebody to take this kind of operation by the scruff of the neck and do it right. Time will tell if this is indeed to be 'Republic' they need to employ good people and keep their product in good condition. This requires dedication and hard work. I know personally one of the guys in an high position at 'Republic', i hope the person concerned will focus better on consistency than they have in the past, if not this project will last as long as any new ski does before it's damaged, one week.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I think this project is awesome, and fair play to it's founders. I have struggled in my time here to convince one of the companies i work for to embrace the British business mentality, having then been dismissed as being British and blinkered. Each year they then come closer to the concepts and ideas i outlined some 4 years ago. For the company in question, i fear it's too late, time will tell. "Vive la Republic."

Is British business or the local mentality likely to take more money out of the market in the long run?
Even if Brit ski shops succeed won't the locals put up the prices elsewhere (e.g. lift ticket sales) to make-up the shortfall?
snow report
DB, No idea mate, i think it's about vision and adaption. I'm in a privileged position i guess, i run/ran a business in this sector without any financial concern. It enables me to be impartial and objective without the worry of monetary outlay. I can be idealistic without concern. I'm no economist, just dedicated to offering a good service. My current situation is based on the patron/owner not sharing the same sentiments, however i understand that my vision can not be shared by him given his financial responsibilities. It's tough. I need some confidence to back myself in my ideals, seems all around me there are those that do successfully. Can you lend me a quid?
ski holidays
This kind of thing is totally out of order. Evil or Very Mad Is there no rule of law in France?? If Ski Republic are still around next season, I think I will make a point of hiring from them as a matter of principle. I really don't give a turd who owns them, French, British, who cares.
ski holidays
the ice perv, I honestly worry about the French and their future. They are an incredibly insecure Nation that have such a wonderful part of the earth to call their own. They will fight back, and this instance is just one way we could interpret as how they consider it fit to do so. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv, You're asking for the rule of law to protect a lawful business from operating in a community where businesses are - in the words of Le Figaro - passed from father to son.

These people have farmed skis and boots on the summer pastures for generations.

I'm not stating their case - I'm just pointing out the realities. The policemen of Courchevel and Meribel (two of the Ski Republic resorts) are probably the brothers/cousins of the guy who owns the ski shop. Maybe they'll need to bring in the Paris riot police.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
the ice perv, I honestly worry about the French and their future.

Personally I worry more about the over taxed and over extended Brits and their future and whether businesses predicated on lots of British visitors are going to be around in a couple of year's time.
snow conditions
Bring on the 'End is Nigh Bash'
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
DB, No idea mate, i think it's about vision and adaption. I'm in a privileged position i guess, i run/ran a business in this sector without any financial concern. It enables me to be impartial and objective without the worry of monetary outlay. I can be idealistic without concern. I'm no economist, just dedicated to offering a good service. My current situation is based on the patron/owner not sharing the same sentiments, however i understand that my vision can not be shared by him given his financial responsibilities.

In my opinion and (being very general) the British / American (B/A) business mentality is more efficient and offers better service. The service here in Austria is certainly a lot more apathetic than back in the UK. Better service is great but the B/A business mentality is also very much more focused on money. I'd be worried that the local people (some of whom are skilled and do offer good service - inc bootfitting) would be priced out of the market and replaced with what at first is a better service only later to have staff costs cut to improve profits.

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
DBI need some confidence to back myself in my ideals, seems all around me there are those that do successfully. Can you lend me a quid?

Sorry I'm saving my coppers (of which there aren't many) to help me get through my later years in the Alps but best of luck, from the feedback on here you definately have talent.
snow report
Maybe my observations aren't representative - I've rented skis in several French, Italian and Swiss resorts over the past decade - but I haven't experienced the deplorable standards that Ski Republic say they're attacking.

My experience has been that the standard and choice of rental skis, including demo models in near-new condition - has been good to excellent. You pay a premium for the superior kit, or pay less for something which is passable. On the whole, rental shops take a pride in what they lend out.

Obviously there's some price-cartelling between local shops but skiers are free to choose between resorts and countries. The locals also know they can't get too silly because people will buy stuff or rent from city shops.

I think Ski Republic are trying to apply the business principle of car rental to ski rental, but ski resorts aren't the same as impersonal and stateless airport terminals.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
In my opinion and (being very general) the British / American (B/A) business mentality is more efficient and offers better service.

In certain circumstances yes but, take this example. My son was running a 39.2 temperature last night, I went to an open chemist and wanted a prescription drug. Of course the chemist couldn't sell this to me over the counter so he called my Dr. on his mobile no. and checked the suitability of the drug etc. He then filled in the prescription form himself and, after some discussion about the dosage, contra-indications etc I paid and left.

Would a UK chemist/doctor have been able to do this or would they have been too worried about being sued if something goes wrong?

In adopting a hyper-efficient, homogenized Easyjet style service model you can loose a lot. IMHO.

This is no comment on Ski Republic. I don't have a huge problem with shops I've hired from in the Alps but maybe there is a niche, as long as they compete on a level playing field.
latest report
davidof wrote:
In certain circumstances yes but, take this example. My son was running a 39.2 temperature last night, I went to an open chemist and wanted a prescription drug. Of course the chemist couldn't sell this to me over the counter so he called my Dr. on his mobile no. and checked the suitability of the drug etc. He then filled in the prescription form himself and, after some discussion about the dosage, contra-indications etc I paid and left.

Would a UK chemist/doctor have been able to do this or would they have been too worried about being sued if something goes wrong?

Yes but almost every medication in Austria seems to need a prescription very few light medications (e.g. lemsip etc) can be purchased from the local supermarket. Is it the same over that end of Europe?

davidof wrote:
In adopting a hyper-efficient, homogenized Easyjet style service model you can loose a lot. IMHO.

I'd agree with this. Once met up with an all English group in Kitzbühel. Outside the hotel there was bags of Austrian tradition and charm, inside it was run like a cheap Blackpool Hotel - lots of oven chips, tomy sauce, staff almost 100% British. Jamie Oliver would of flipped his lid. I suppose this reflects the wishes of many customers from the UK and the customer is king.
latest report
From what i can see, 'Republic' are offering better price for the same product in better condition. This can't be compared to the likes of Easyjet's no frills approach. You take your skis, they're what you need, they're in good condition you pay less.
Who loses? The competing business who can't afford new equipment because they don't look after their product or customer and therefore make less money, then can't afford to pay the right staff to do a good job. End of business IMO.
snow conditions
DB, my impression of Austrian service (not just ski shops, is that they still provide a service unlike the UK. Shopped or eaten in the UK recently?
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
DB, my impression of Austrian service (not just ski shops, is that they still provide a service unlike the UK. Shopped or eaten in the UK recently?

Service in ski resorts tends to be much better as staff are rewarded with tips. In a world where all the prices for a given product are typically and coincidentally exactly the same in ski resorts it's the service that makes the difference. Away from the resorts (in my experience) the service is much more apatheic in Austria than England, left the UK 8 years ago but am back every couple of years to visit. My worst service in a ski resort was in France but maybe I'm using that experience and the Ski Republic article to build a false impression of the service levels in France - other people don't seem to have a problem.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Service in ski resorts tends to be much better as staff are rewarded with tips.

Not in ski shops, Shirley?
I worked in one for three years. I remember my sum total was one customer generously handing me a fiver (and this was 1978) for kitting out his family with ski boots.

Maybe people pay tips in ski rental shops, but I've never witnessed it.

I work in an enterprise that operates a free cloakroom, and staff are not permitted to accept tips (though they're frequently offered). Seems a sensible policy and the service is great - they hire good staff, with excellent customer attitude.

Has anyone paid a tip to somebody doing ski and boot rental?
latest report
David Goldsmith, Our Rental is full of booze as a result of happy clients, albeit there's only one guy who does anything.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy