Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

updated Christmas 2008 - Resort recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now that this years 2 trips are done Sad it's time to start planning the next one!

Over Christmas lunch 2007 I joked that wouldn't it be nice to spend next year in a catered chalet in the Alps so that none of us has to cook? I didn't expect any of them to be up for it, as it's only me that's currently obsessed with skiing, but much to my surprise my whole family agreed and it's now up to me to come up with some suggestions. So any recommendations for resort and accommodation would be welcome.

The group will consist of:
My Mum & Dad - early 70s - Dad will probably ski but not every day, Mum won't so will do some child minding but also wants other things to do.
Me - happy to go anywhere, just happy to be skiing
My partner - beginner skier - skied only 2 days a few years back, very nervous
My 16 yr old son (will be 17 by then) - boarder - wants to avoid drag lifts and wants more nightlife than Montgenevre (where we went at half term)
My younger brother & his wife - boarders
Their 2 kids - ages 6 & 4 - never skied before
My older brother & his wife - skiers - they live in Toulouse so will probably want to drive
Their son - age 8 - I think he's skied once or twice

So we're looking for a resort which has all of the following:
1. Snow sure at Christmas
2. Flights from Manchester & East Midlands & shortish transfer time
3. Driveable from Toulouse Edit:FORGET THIS - FOR MORE SCOPE THEY CAN FLY
4. Something for everyone, including non-skiers
5. Reasonable nightlife (enough to keep the teenager happy, but not too noisy for the kids!)
6. Good for beginners, intermediates, kids, skiers and boarders
7. Oh and not too pricey!

Once we've decided on a resort or at least a shortlist, then I'm looking for a catered chalet to accomodate 12, close to lifts etc etc, but one thing at a time rolling eyes

All suggestions greatfully received. Thanks Very Happy

Edit: La Rosiere seems popular amongst snowHead s. What's it like early season?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-03-08 17:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jo66 wrote:
3. Driveable from Toulouse

So you want it to be in the Pyrenees? do you not want to fly to the alps and have more variety?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, The UK contingent will fly, those based in Toulouse will probably want to drive, not necessarily only to the Pyrenees, I'm sure they'd consider driving further.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jo66, Its about 6 hours to the alps driving from Toulouse.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher, why so negative Puzzled Perhaps because I'm considering somewhere other than your beloved Montgenevre? Toofy Grin I'm looking for suggestions not criticism.

Many people drive many hours from the UK to the Alps, so 6 hours from Toulouse doesn't seem too much.
Alternatively forget driving from Toulouse, and open this up to anywhere that we can all fly to in Europe; France, Italy, Austria....

Anyone else care to make a useful contribution?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jo66, Morzine, with easy access to Avoriaz?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bump - see edited 1st post
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jo66, good girl - never too early to start planning! snowHead

It's a tough spec! We may have to build you a new resort! And good luck to you looking after that lot - what a crew! Shocked I wouldn't take my folks to Tesco's let alone skiing Toofy Grin

How about.... (no not Cervinia again rolling eyes No chalets, and the flights don't work) So my other fav.... Verbier! Ha!

1. No such thing! but it's 1500m - 3300m so...
2. Haven't checked but it's 1.5 hours from GVA so should be fine
3. n/a
4. tough one.... high resorts - which you want for 1. don't really have too much for non-skiers, but it's not as bad as being stuck in some hell-hole like Tignes or La Plagne all day
5. Madeye-Smiley
6. yeah good for all them - it's 'hardness' is over-rated
7. 5 out of 6 ain't bad! Cool seriously it's no more expensive than any other high resort in Switz or France...

Loads of chalets in Verbier... and loads of snowHead 's too for that matter! Good idea right?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jo66, like red 27 said, there is no such resort. Really isn't. So you will have to prioritise your list of requirements. I have thought a lot about this one as I am trying something similar for next Christmas.

If there was a resort which satisfied those criteria everybody would be there, and it would be too crowded to be enjoyable!

So - a challenge - edit your 7 criteria in order of priority and we'll have another think. Verbier looks as though it might satisfy a fair number of your criteria but I've never been there so can't comment. I did think it was quite challenging skiing, but maybe that reputation is undeserved.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jo66, It also depends to some extent, on what your mum likes to do .. what kind of "other" activities the resort needs to provide. When I went skiing with my M&D both in their 70s, we had to chose a resort with a good swimming pool because my Mum swam but didn't ski! We skiied Alpe D'H but stayed down in the valley (much cheaper) and accessed the skiing by driving to Oz - my mum had access to 2 swimming pools then because it was possible to get to both ADH and Vaujany by cable/bubble. She could also meet us at some mountain restaurants for lunch. I'm not necessarily recommending ADH/Vaujany as somewhere for your trip (altho I did like the skiing and restaurants there) but just pointing out that it's difficult to recommend places that are good for non-skiers unless you know what non-skiing stuff they want to do! So many people to take into account, rather you than me. Good luck !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, smwbounce, thanks for the suggestions.

red 27, I do like a challenge and believe me my family are a challenge! Actually most of them are a great laugh and I'm not worried about the folks. My older brother can be hard work - think Jeremy Clarkson but without the wit and humour. Shocked

smwbounce, Good point re what Mum would like to do - well I know she likes to drink coffee, eat, sip the odd glass of wine (or three!) Toofy Grin but she's not all that active these days, unlike Dad who is fit as a fiddle. I'l go away and ask her then report back with her requirements. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy