Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR (with page width destruction): La Grave/Oisans 2008

brian
brian
The cast:

GrahamN

His bro Steve

BernardC

fatbob

His bro Phil

JT

... and our guide, Manu

My Ford Ka/Fiat Panda size turns out to be a smart car ! It's like driving a dodgem, semi-auto gearbox is like playing on a ps3 Toofy Grin Seriously hard to keep in a straight line when the vent is blowing a tad fort ! Still, we get into La Grave about 1am, it's clear and cold and obvious that not much fresh snow has fallen Neutral

Day 1:

The morning dawns bluebird but cold, a quick trip out to hire the planks and into the Autocar du BernardC, heading for Auris and hence l'Alpe d'Huez. Frustration #1, a lost txcvr means a quick run back to the car but no sign so we press on via several lifts only to run into frustration #2, the télépherique Pic Blanc runs out of gas, we're stuck in it for half an hour, then it trundles back to base and we make alternative tracks via 2 stages of Marmottes télécabine and a chair.

Finally, after 12, we're into the Grand Sablat. It looks inviting, but windblown crust gives way to sun crust and a bit of scoured crust. Almost every turn is different but we're all adapting and everyone gets down with not much trouble and a bit of "interesting" fun. The views are sensational and eventually we get down low enough for the sun to transform things to good old spring corn. A hike up to the Col de Sarenne and it's lunchtime. The day is fast disappearing but we squeeze in a trip to the Combe Charbonniere and the snow is a bit easier. It gets a little thin in the big bumps further down and Phil has an interesting pop out'n'in on his shoulder. Ouch.

Back to Auris, and the lost txcvr turns up, hurrah ! Bernard treats us to further luxury transport back to LG and a well earned beer.

Demain, les grandes bosses de La Grave Skullie et peut-etre St Christophe. Cool

Sun kissing the peaks above La Grave

Le Grand Sablat at l'Alpe d'Huez, roughly in the middle of the pic. You can make out the top of Pic Blanc just left of centre.

Day 2:

Friday started badly, very badly. Cloudy and cold and too windy for the La Grave lift. Manu told us there was nothing doing off piste until the sun could get out to soften things up so he took the day off and we headed over to Serre Chevalier on the offchance of at least maybe finding some decent pistes. We did that and even wrung a little bit more out of the day. A north facing couloir off the Tete de Balme (?), a bit mogulled and thin at the pinch point but generally in decent nick. So good we skied it 3 times. The rest of the good spots known to the group were too thin or had unskiable snow or were scoured or ... you get the picture.

Tete de Balme at Serre Chevalier, couloir du gazex wink 35 degrees with nice bumps at top, 30-ish with teeth chattering hardpack lower down.

A La Grave - La Meije sunset

Day 3:

Today, the sun was back out and La Grave re-opened. So a more hopeful start. We skied a couple of descents of the glacier and through the Breche de Pacave back to P2 and then, after a leisurely lunch, headed off into the Vallon de la Selle to St Christophe. The sun had softened things up nicely and after a sketchy start on thin old rubbish, it opened out into a lovely descent in great spring snow, finishing with a little couloir. Then a not too pleasant traverse and a hike out but it couldn't take the shine off such a brilliant run.

Taxi back to LG and a couple of beers. Ski de randonée tomorrow, fingers crossed for some early sun for another soft descent.

The Girose glacier, spot the piste Shocked

Transceiver check

The Aiguilles d'Arves and Mont Blanc

Sea of cloud

The unique 'pherique

Little hike through the Brèche de Pacave

Looking out over the Ecrins above St Christophe

Nervous moment, binding check above 40 degree entrance to the route Skullie

Phil surveys ...

... 1000m of descent Very Happy

Phil and Graham in the corn

Plenty of down left

From the bottom, route goes top left to finish in small couloir bottom right

The long traverse out (on left)

finishes with a hike

Day 4:

The last day saw us all on touring kit (3 total beginners, 3 old hands). We headed up to the tiny station of Le Chazelet above La Grave on the opposite side of the Romanche from La Meije. After handing over the princely sum of €3, we got a ride up the teleski to start the tour at about 2100m, then followed the long ridge up to the summit of Le Gros Tet at 2613m. The descent was via its east face, mixed powder/crust at the top and then a firm to gradually softening hardpack lower down.

Nice way to end the trip for me, as after lunch I headed off for the airport, just in time to catch the first drops of rain which would start giving the area some much needed new snow.

Skinning up

... and on the summit

Looking back at La Grave to Deux Alpes

Last edited by brian on Thu 13-03-08 12:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool pics. Cheers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cool pics Very Happy

la grave is on the list...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More pics from the gully

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/10758/ppuser/287
From below

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/10754/ppuser/287
Steve

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/10755/ppuser/287
Philbob

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/10756/ppuser/287
Bernard

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/10757/ppuser/287
The ski out.......icy..!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fab- you lucky lucky bast4rds
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, looks fantastic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and a few more...
as it was the best run on the hill that day, we did it a few times over.........
The snow wasn't the best...as it was cloudy all day and the surface stayed pretty hard...............
you have to ask why we were there...but it was the best around

you have to be careful as it can break away...

Fatbob digs in

Graham rockinNrollin..

Gettin' committed..Brian again...
Fatbob is lower and the slope is narrowing through a rockband...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More pics from the gully

From below

Steve

Philbob

Bernard

The ski out.......icy..!!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just re-did the thumbnails.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good stuff - looks like you made the most of what was available.

I hope someone told Manu to get a haircut Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I hope someone told Manu to get a haircut

NO! I was in La Grave in Jan with a group, Manu guiding, and loved it. Skiing wasn't bad either. Appreciating the photos...of the mountains as well, of course. Don't mess with my toot-toot! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How was the snow then guys? Looks pretty spring like, a bit different to last years trip??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What a shame about the snow.

I still haven't posted my TR from the start of Feb, will do soon.

It got nuked over the last few days... trying to see if I can persuade Mrs P to give me a couple of days off... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nuked might be overstating it, but there have been a couple of nice snowfalls Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow...?? bombproof and even when it snowed you had the ice just underneath to trip you up every now and again.

Manu did well to make things interesting and he has a new gf so has gone all cool... !!!!
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
La Grave - the beauty or the beast depending on snow conditions.......
snow report
brian, .... some great pictures .... Very Happy

.... just come across this Thread .... this must be the one that was? linked to the Main LG Thread? I have posted my few pics in the wrong place .... rolling eyes
ski holidays
brian's done a great job with the main story, but here are a few more of mine.

BernardC surveys the entry to Grand Sablat

JT, Steve and BernardC on the Grand Sablat

My version of the 'pherique photo

Entry to the descent to St Christophe,

fatbob, brian and PJB on the descent...

Unfortunately the Rama was not in condition to ski Wink (the one on the left)

...and then the traverse out
snow conditions
Graham,

Good pics.

Looks like you lucked out big time on your return. Looked very special... Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy