Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

april 2nd.. italy ??

Poster: A snowHead
apologoes if this question is already answered... thinking of flying into Bergamo early April for three or four days skiing... Can anyone recommend a reasonably snowsure resort. I was in Madonna last year in March with great snow, but maybe I got lucky. Was thinking of bormio / santa caterina or Madesimo or maybe foppollo.

If all the above are risky would I better flying to Zurich ? I've never skied Switzerland, am a early intermediate and poor ! Will probably hold off booking flights for a week or two any keep on eye on snow reports

Would appreciate any sage advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
landers, could you switch to Turin? Cervinia would then be ideal...

From Zurich, maybe Davos? Transfer by train in 2.5 hours for 50CHF and there's loads of accomodation, some of it cheapish
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Red 27... I will look at Turin out of Dublin. It will boil down to cost of flights. Shannon Airport (west of ireland) is really convienent for me but only has bergamo as an option
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
landers, understood.... I would have thought the Dolomites would be a bit risky in April - never been there at that time, or any other though...

Probably be someone along in a mo who's skied there in June every year since 1909 and never seen a blade of grass wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been there but how about Passo Tonale, supposedly open til May, but not sure if that's just the glacier
http://www.passotonale.it/

don't know if it's of use but theres a cheap shuttle
http://www.trentinoviaggi.net/start.php?page=home&lang=EN

Hamish
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Passo Tonale last April & snow was good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Hamish... Car rental is also quiet cheap. Passed through tonale last year and it seemed to be quiet ugly.. maybe I didn't see the right part. Its the snow that's important anyway !

Will book bergamo flight and hold off before deciding between between Bormio / Santa Caterina or the dolomites Passo Tonale / Madonna

Red 27, flights to turin does seem to be available with ryanair, anyway living a couple of miles from shannon, it would wreck my head to have to travel to dublin. Maybe in the future...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in Bormio last week and also skied Santa Caterina and would heartily recommend either for a weekend. They are only 15 minutes drive from each other so you can play at both, Bormio rises to 3,000 metres so should not be a problem but S. Caterina slopes are slightly more interesting and has the happy valley to ski with a fantastic hut, but Bormio town is a great place and truly medieval.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forgot to mention that I have also skied at Madesimo too and that would also make for a great weekend. Come to think of it, anywhere with mountains and snow is great..........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oops, I have been to Madonna too and it's bloody great there too. Quiet at night but great scenery and slopes and huts during the day. Out of the three areas I would probably go back to Madonna first but that is purely subjective and it was the first place I ever skied. It is a lovely area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I mentioned Gressoney, where I am going this Sunday, to one of our French guides in La Grave a couple of weeks ago, he said that Gressoney usually has particularly good snow in April. He said that the reason was that the Monte Rosa, which I think is a wonderfully impressive massif, attracts the appropriate weather systems in April to provide good snow conditions. The same should therefore apply to other Italian resorts in the area such as Alagna and Cervinia.

I asked him if there were also good conditions on the Swiss side in Zermatt and he said yes because of the same reason.

I was quite surprised at what he told me and out of curiosity I will be watching the snow reports for the area in April.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been to Madonna in April but you need to be aware that a lot of the lifts close early April and only the main ones to the Groste & Spinale and Folgarida/Marileva links stay open.

Madesimo looks to have a great snow record and you'd probably be safe there.

I've also been to Cervinia in April and snow cover was good.

With both Madonna and Cervinia the temperatures can get warm so be prepared for some slush!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know what the snow is like in Gressoney (Monte Rosa) in April? We were due to go this Sunday but have had to cancel due to family illness and would still love to go. May be able to go 2nd week in April, but will the skiing still be good then?

If not, where would be best?? We'd consider anywhere!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been to Gressoney la Trinite, Cervinia, Passo Tonale & Livigno at this time of year.

The one I would want to go back to above all the others would be Gressoney. Although there is virtually nothing there, I just loved the place.

They all had good enough snow, but the snow at resort level can be a bit slushy by the end of the day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssnowman, Everyone talks about the off-piste at Gressoney, but what would it be like for a reasonable but not adventurous intermediate?
ski holidays
landers, I would go to Cervinia, you have the added advantage of crossing the border into Zermatt and enjoy some wonderful lunches! Welcome to snowHead 's
snow report
You're kidding right Roy? Go from Italy to Switzerland to eat? Shocked spoo
snow conditions
red 27, Yep definately, Zermatt is noted as one of the finest resorts for food. I may not be in Mrs RH's league at skiing, but my generous frame takes me quite high on the gourmand ladder.

On a serious note, did you find the mountain restaurants in Zermatt not that good? I mean the regular eateries and discount the cafeterias! I am off to Selva next week and love the food there, it can rate with Zermatt. I found the restaurants in Cervinia not as good IMO.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, agree with you entirely, I tried both sides in January. Not to mention the Italian toilets Shocked I much preferred the skiing in Zermatt too, Cervinia is much too clinical for my liking with too many motorway width, perfectly manicured pistes. I suspect from reading this and other threads red 27, probably couldn't bring himself to cross the border wink
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, Colin B, Laughing wink

Colin has sussed me out... I am a one-man tourist Board for Cervinia. Of course both places are the creme-de-la-creme really and I'd happily spend the rest of my days in either. With regards mountain restuarants you do have to look a little harder, and stray off the beaten piste, to find the best places on the Italian side, but the extra effort is richly rewarded Very Happy
snow conditions
We explored many of the off the beaten track places (I think), and no real comparrison. That said however I would echo your view as to where to hang up the ski poles!

red 27, Try the Sella Ronda, food is better and stunning views to boot. We are off there on Sunday, it is a place I would love to purchase in and dream about hanging up the ski poles!!!!
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, It's number 2 on the list for next year, behind Lech... thanks for the tip. I've climbed there in summer and as you say, breathtaking
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy