Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are chalet girls responsible for?

Poster: A snowHead
A correspondent to this website based in Switzerland came out with the following today:
Quote:
They should give this "great" chalet girl a hard kick, she ought to have got the [snow and lift] report for them.

I disagree. I'd expect a chalet girl to do what's in her job description, and I've never known one to give me reliable info for the day's/morning's conditions. If she's employed to give people the morning's snow and lift status report - well, fine - if she's employed to boil eggs and cook porridge, maybe that's a good thing not to be distracted from.

I haven't a clue what chalet girls are paid these days - presumably a bit of pocket money, accommodation and liftpass, as per tradition. Hotels and hoteliers are different - they have receptionists, computers, printers etc. etc.

Are chalet girls to be expected to be weather bunnies and traffic reporters?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
About £300 pcm. And the weather stuff is usually up to the rep.

Or maybe idiot punter could get off his bum and look out of the window.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keeping the Clients happy and reducing the resort ratios Toofy Grin

Sorry to easy! Feel sorry for them some times is this guy the best descripion of a BILLY ever? Does he not have the internet or a window in his room Puzzled

Some people need a good kick up the backside Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
About £300 pcm.

About £10 per day, in other words, plus board. As far as I'm aware it's essentially a 7-day/week part-time job, focused on early mornings and busy cooking for the evenings, cleaning and organising supplies. Anything else?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 12-03-08 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sh@gging us ski bums (nannies have the same job) Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The mind boggles.....I've never known a chalet girl (or boy) get weather reports either, though they did tell us when we could get a report on the local radio, in English. That was before the days of internet, of course. Some people are just generally wet and useless, aren't they?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

About £10 per day, in other words, plus board

Plus lift pass, insurance, uniform, ski hire, travel to and from resort. And it's not part-time by any stretch of the imagination (unless you describe 48+ hours a week as part-time).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blowing Bubbles out their a$$es.
"Pass the Fairy Spermita, i'm snookered on the Pink." Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chalet staff we have experienced always try and keep us up to date with the weather reports.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
... and which lifts are operating? Or just the weather?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Open Lifts have never been an issue on our trips. Just lucky I guess, or we have stayed in places where there are no other lift options.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd prefer that TOs concentrated on ensuring that their chalet people can cook, rather than encouraging them to worry about meteorology and ski lifts. In my experience, about 50% can and 50% can't, which isn't really good enough.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, If I was staying in a no expense spared high end chalet , I guess, the butler, or maid would deliver this type of information with my morning cup of tea to my bedside Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 12-03-08 14:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

... and which lifts are operating?

When do you suggest the chalet bird goes and gets that information given that she has has to prep and serve everyone's brekkie from 07:30 until they all push off out skiing? Bearing in mind that the chalet could easily be a half hour walk from the lift office.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

David Goldsmith, If I was staying in a no expense spared high end chalet , I guess, the butler, or maid would deliver this type of information with my morning cup of tea to my bedside

You have stayed at Branson Chalet in Verbier then Toofy Grin
snow report
richmond, Ski Olympic, Silver Ski, Tracks Vacations 8 Trips in the past 4 years, and 8 great food experiences. Perhaps we were lucky, oh and ZERO Delhi Bellies.
snow report
Ordhan, There was an If and I guess in there, more's the pity Sad
snow conditions
Maybe the answer is somewhere in here ....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hubs/chaletconfidential/
ski holidays
I'd have thought the answer was

Rapid spread of STDs throughout ski resorts.

Large cake and alcohol consumption.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
richmond, Ski Olympic, Silver Ski, Tracks Vacations 8 Trips in the past 4 years, and 8 great food experiences. Perhaps we were lucky, oh and ZERO Delhi Bellies.

I think the trick is to avoid the big TOs, which have been responsible for all bar one of our chalet experiences (not that the odd one was anything to write home about).
snow report
fatbob wrote:
I'd have thought the answer was

Rapid spread of STDs throughout ski resorts.

Large cake and alcohol consumption.

You are not wrong, the number of chalet girls and nannies we had to send home because they had either got the clap or got up the duff. We'd tell them at the training weeks - always take precautions, but no, it is something about the thin mountain air and alcohol that makes them throw caution to the wind.

Second year chalet girls are like gold dust. If they made it through Y1 without killing everyone in the chalet with Botulism, getting knocked up or contracting a cocktail of STDs they would be a size 16 from all the cake eating and none of the "lords of the flies" would touch 'em.
latest report
David Goldsmith, I'm sure you meant "Chalet operative" being girl, boy or erm topically otherwise Very Happy
snow conditions
davidof, botulism? Feeding your guests tinned salmon were you? You cheapskate.
latest report
The message I seem to be getting (thanks for the graphic inside report, davidof) is that chalet companies should be giving epidemic reports, rather than snow/lift reports.

"Best to avoid the upper lifts and the mayonnaise today, as they're both off. And don't have sex - you're in a ski resort."
snow report
In my experience, chalet staff have been professional, hard working, thoughtful, and personable.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, companies do attempt to recruit with those qualities in mind. In eleven seasons of working for TOs and looking after up to 80 staff each year I have seen one pregnancy scare and no poisonings. Davidof may wish to review his selection criteria.
snow conditions
In my experience, chalet staff have been professional, hard working, thoughtful, and personable.

professional Knew exactly what she was offering, and many moves I'd never even contemplated Shocked

hard working Wore me out and begged for more NehNeh

thoughtful Lit my cigarette for me afterwards Cool

personable Even knew my name! Madeye-Smiley

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So if planning to shag a chalet girl do it in Early december to late January to avoid

Fat Chicks

Disease Carriers

Wetting the Babies head

Duly noted Toofy Grin Might just stick to skiing in future
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There seems to be an undercurrent here that sexual promiscuity and competent chalet personning are in some way mutually exclusive. Not so. The only chalet maid shagging incident on any chalet hol I went on (SFAIK) involved a superbly competent (at running the chalet and cooking) chalet maid. Unfortunately she was not so good at the shagging logistics; she hopped into bed with one of my mates under the impression that he was his (better looking, more charming) brother. My mate didn't bother to put her right (mainly to get one over on his bro., I think). She was a bit suprised in the morning, but that's life, I suppose.
latest report
Gilbern74, richmond, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I am just suprised no one has posted

"My Crabs" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
I can't speak highly enough of the Ski Esprit chalet hosts on our recent trip. Not only were they both called Helen - which made it hard to get them confused - but they were dab hands in the kitchen, and seemed to be unperturbed by a host of kids "helping" them cook.

With wife and kids in tow, the opportunity never arose to test their "off-piste" offerings... Very Happy

They were on their 2nd or 3rd season together, and have been promoted to an uber-chalet-host status and get to choose where they're going next season. (Meribel as it happens.)
ski holidays
The Flying Snowplough, I believe that all Ski Esprit chalet maids are known as 'Helen', rather as maids in England used to be known as 'Sarah'(?). As you say, it avoids embarassing confusion.
snow report
richmond, you'd be wise to use the more PC term "chalet hostess". One of our number used the term "maid" and was subsequently ritually disemboweled with a snowboard as entertainment during Kids Club as a punishment.
snow report
The Flying Snowplough, did you have to keep buying them expensive drinks prior to making a 'private arrangement' with them? Otherwise, I'm not sure that 'hostess' quite conjures up the image they're after, either.
ski holidays
richmond, such is my charm that a simple "please" and a smile got me all that I needed...
ski holidays

That's been my overall experience as well. Worst comment I could level at any of them being that some of the males working the season like to show off their skills when you ski with them - but seeing as my son comes in to that catagory I think that's just envy on my part. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:
some of the males working the season like to show off their skills when you ski with them

aw, come on, that's a major source of pleasure for them (apart from the chalet maids/hostesses, that is). It must be fun, if you have to listen to some drunken guest boasting about his skiing prowess, to shoot off down some tricky slope and leave them standing the following morning. That's one of the difference between skiing with a chalet ski guide and skiing with a professional instructor; the latter (or at least, the good ones) normally seem to feel no need to show off.
snow conditions
pam w, you've been a bit selective with your quote there. As I go on to say, it's just envy on my part. My son's worked three seasons, and whenever I've joined him out there my lack of skills are made all too apparent, and his skills are all too obvious (accompanied with a lot of muttering under my breath Toofy Grin ). You're probably right though, that they may well become a bit jaded hearing the guests comments for four or five months. wink
ski holidays
Phil Jordan, my son's done a couple of seasons too, but as a chef, and is a brilliant skier - so I know what you mean. He leaves me standing but then, to be fair, he leaves almost everyone standing. Though he did say that he, in turn, was left standing by the BASI 1 instructor he shared a flat (and days off) with in Val D'Isere. When we used to stay in catered chalets we generally found staff hard working and effective but maybe they were well managed companies. Some companies seem to treat their staff very badly (my son dumped the company he went out with after a week, and went freelance for the rest of the season, because he didn't like their approach to staff).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy