Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Something for the weekend Sir?

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this covered elsewhere...

In a fit of delirious optimism I arrive in Geneva tomorrow for 2 days powder Sad

Anyone suggest what's best and open over the weekend? Have options on Champoluc (a bit too much of a trek) & will be in Morzine tomorrow night. Awaiting reviews on Avoriaz (from today) but suspect disappointment. Understand Verbier struggling, as are Argentiere/Cham. Spose VdI possible, but again rather a long drive.

Thinking maybe Diablierets? or Cervinia?

Any bright ideas anyone? - I don't really want to resort to extreme luncheoning.

Thanks!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David, Chamonix has to be your best bet closest to Geneva.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also could try Megeve, right next to Chamonix. Both about an hours drive if you don't know where you're going Smile
sx
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree with David@traxvax. Chamonix, staying in Argentiere for quick access to the best snow on the Grands Montets but check that the system's running.
Flaine has a good snow record, but I don't know if it's open and whether it's had its usual pasting.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll bet when he asked what was open this weekend he probably wanted to know what was open this weekend and not who could name a ski station near Geneva. I mean really, for goodness sake.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I am sorry, ise. I'll take more note when trying to provide friendly advice in future.
sx
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aren't the three Vs closer to Geneva than Val d'Isere? Val Thorens is already open, Courchevel is due to open this weekend. Not sure when Morzine is due to open, think that it may be this weekend, but the webcam doesn't look good. Just looked at the website for Chamonix, which says that the opening of the resort is going to be delayed.
If you decide to head into Switzerland, then Zermatt would seem to be the place to be. Not sure how far it is from Geneva though?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swiss tourist board ski conditions website:
http://wispo.stnet.ch/requests/MySwitzerlandSearchRequest.jsp

Also worth looking at the weather forecast before deciding high or low:
http://www.meteoschweiz.ch/de/Prognosen/Vorhersagen/IndexVorhersagen.shtml

Looks like high will be good this weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitemoon wrote:
Well I am sorry, ise. I'll take more note when trying to provide friendly advice in future.
sx

The note being useful is of more utillity then friendly ? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, like Neil says Switzerland's probably a good bet. I'd look at Saas Fee or Zermat I think. Skip Les Diablerets, I only go because I live nearby, it's fairly flat and there's only three tbars open right now.

Not sure what the score with Avoriaz is, I'll go on Sunday if it does open but I've not checked in with the lift company yet.

Verbier's got a bit more open I see than last weekend. Still not a lot though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer wrote:
Aren't the three Vs closer to Geneva than Val d'Isere? Val Thorens is already open, Courchevel is due to open this weekend. Not sure when Morzine is due to open, think that it may be this weekend, but the webcam doesn't look good. Just looked at the website for Chamonix, which says that the opening of the resort is going to be delayed.
If you decide to head into Switzerland, then Zermatt would seem to be the place to be. Not sure how far it is from Geneva though?

Val Thorens is nearer, but not by much, it's 45 minutes or so from where you turn off at Moûtiers to VT, about an hour from Moûtiers to Val d'Isère/Tignes.

Val Thorens was really quiet the other day, much more pleasurable skiing than Tignes which had big queues with the limited runs open.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Not sure what the score with Avoriaz is, I'll go on Sunday if it does open but I've not checked in with the lift company yet. "

Ise:
If you do go to Avoriaz and feel like posting a report I would be very grateful.
Going in less than two weeks and at the moment looking like a trek to Cervinia
but would prefer to be closer to GVA.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avoriaz is officailly opening tomorrow - I've heard that its been v. cold but haven't had any snow reports www.avoriaz.com might have a webcam or an update. How about La Clusaz -I've not been but heard its a bit of an undiscovered gem with the Brits and I think just over an hour from Geneva.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Folks, that is most useful! Thanks all round. It's funny how frequently one skis an area and forgets what's around (beyond the obvious in Cham).

My Scouts inform me that Avoriaz had some, but not enough. There was a little more snow overnight. I hear that Verbier was running 3 lifts, but no pistes open (most odd).

Trying to determine whether Flaine's an option. Ah, no, looks like it opens 11th Dec. Saas Fee sounds fun but is nearly as long a drive from Morzine as Champoluc - and I have accom there.

Thanhs again,

DM
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah@alpedhuez wrote:
How about XXXXXXXX -I've not been but heard its a bit of an undiscovered gem

Ssshhhhhh, don't tell everyone, er anyone...

David Murdoch, I think you'll have to drive - toss a coin; Tignes / Val D or Saas Fee...
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Flaine would often be open this time of year but not this time apparently. I'll be over that way this weekend so I'll certainly post something about the snow depths.

sarah@alpedhuez, La Clusaz "an undiscovered gem with the Brits", some sort of joke there I think Very Happy

David Murdoch, I'm sure Verbier has some skiing this weekend. Saas Fee sounds fine, Zermatt will be OK as well I think.

webcams round the Grand Massif look like they're on the way there, I'll see in the morning.
ski holidays
Forget what I said about Courchevel in an earlier posting, on the website it says that only two piste will be open, due to poor snow conditions.

SCGB seem to think that Zermatt have the best conditions in Switzerland.
ski holidays
PG, what were the conditions in Val Thorens like when you were last there?
snow report
SpeedyK,

Two weeks is a long time in a ski resort! I wouldn't generally be expecting this weekend to be predictive of two weeks hence at this time of year.

For this weekend, at present, as need to detour through Morzine to drop kit off on way home (bah!) looks like Cervinia tomorrow and Courmayeur Sunday (it is not open tomorrow for no fathomable reason). Sadly decisions will be taken around midnight in the bar, so wisdom not going to be in large meaure wink
ski holidays
David, it's always good to have a plan.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, just a warning. It'll be *very* crowded at Courmayeur this weekend (apparently). That prediction from a local. You may want to have a look at Pila which might be just as busy, but you can get there 40 mins earlier and so may have smaller initial queues to contend with.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
SCGB seem to think that Zermatt have the best conditions in Switzerland.

the local reports agree as well.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, should you be on the road by now ? Very Happy

Cervinia sounds a good plan.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, the best laid plans of m-ice and men...

Departed Morzine at 8h15 Sat, somewhat later than intended. Encountered various ESF and Ski Club heading up the (old, ancient?) red bubble in Les Gets. Decided to bin the 2.5 jour drive to Aosta. Discovered that the only operating piste was under the bubble. Anyway, too late.

A very happy 4 hours blatting up and down at ski club race speeds on impressively pleasant artificial snow.

Followed by a very fine lunch in L'Etale in Morzine sampling the pre-season wine selection...

Plan for today was to head to Courmayeur.

Awoke hideously hungover to an unusually high inversion (~1,000m up to ?1,600m?). Call eventually through to T.O. in Courmayeur reveals that contrary to web site, only open to season passholders. Admin requirements meant we were back on the only open run in the PDS for few breaths of fresh air.

Anyway, lots of fun snow notwithstanding. Thanks again for advice. skanky, interesting, I must try Pila out sometime.

DM
snow report
David, at least you skied on a real piste, which is more than the rest of us did.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, this caused some amusement locally, that Les Gets had opened a basically artificial piste when Avoriaz and Flaine couldn't. I'm wondering if we ought to have gone now, I was on call over the weekend and kept getting called so I just didn't have the energy yesterday.
latest report
ise, Oh yes, given the number of SC Flaine, Morrillon and Samoens budding racers hooning around I think the Getois were feeling very smug at their snow making ability. I mean, one of the lowest runs in the whole system...

But honestly, you really didn't miss very much. We only went up yesterday out of a warped sense of duty. It rather reminded me of school evenings at Hillend.

Also reminded me that I really want to get my boots properly fitted. Sad but don't have time to do so before New Year.
latest report
Kramer wrote:

Geneva Airport - Zermatt (changing at Visp) is 4 hours by train. Trains normally about 1 hour intervals on approx the half-hour : £57 return.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just for the record, I think it'd be as quick by bus to Cervinia, and very probably cheaper?

(That timetable's incomplete but it gives some idea of the services).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy