Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't need it. Must have it...

Poster: A snowHead
Prompted by the rather cool adjustable tint Uvex goggles, what is the bit of kit this winter that you really don't need, but somehow really really want ?

Could be an iPod, could be the goggles. Could be the Burton iPod jacket, could be that bizarre ski pole/hipflask combo. What about boot warmer, hand warmers, or boot driers?

My vote goes to this: http://www.sporttek.co.uk/Garmin_Foretrex_101.html

I should know better...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On a similar note to your suggestion, I quite fancy a Magellan Sportrack Colour GPS with the appropriate topological map. Not sure I really need it for getting round the mountain (piste map does just fine!) but very cool Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
michael stocking wrote:
My vote goes to this: http://www.sporttek.co.uk/Garmin_Foretrex_101.html
I should know better...

That seems cheap - what's wrong with it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know. I read somewhere that it's the scaled down version of the etrex 201 (?). Small GPS ssytems are getting cheaper though. Garmin have collaborated with Timex on some sports watches that incorporate GPS - around £150. Suunto have a really cool watch/GPS, but it's still £500. £120 is more tempting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For me it has to be Oakley Thump sunglasses with built in music player & flip-up lenses! http://www.oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/thump/?cm_re=V46*FeaturedImage*ThumpKristiLeskinen not sure that I can be bothered to load any music from cd onto them or any similar type device though!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That is cool, don't see anything wrong there, agree about the glasses with built-in sounds.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dont' need, must have, can't get...
I want a combo heart rate monitor & ski computer. Suunto do each very neatly (an reassuringly expensive) but not in a single package. I mean, what's the use of knowing how fast you skied and how steep the run was if you can't tell just how excited/scared you were on the way down.

I did ask them to build me one but they (suunto) politely refused.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Moguls competition trousers, so that I can KNOW everyone can see my knees dance rolling eyes and know how good I really am wink Shocked rolling eyes Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any new ski gear really....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, looks like Suunto reconsidered...both the Suunto X6HRM and the Advizor combine HRM and altimeter functions. The former allows to download data and print pretty graphs... should liven up any apres ski drinks Cool

I am a bit of a watch fanatic myself but I am really dying for a softshell jacket , but there is nothing wrong with my current jacket. Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These were my must-haves. (The pink tinted ones)
Cool Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rose tinted specs have got to be a good choice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was an ipod for me have to say ranks up there with the best stuff i've bought then it was new jacket and salopets and everything else. Now my girlfriend has put my flexible friend in the freezer to cool down snowHead i really shouldnt be allowed out on my own and now i'm not Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't really need it, could have managed without it, can't really afford it, but bought it anyway - new, blue Jeep Liberty 4x4!!!!!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

For me it has to be Oakley Thump sunglasses

I,ve got to get me some of those Cool Cool Cool

Particularly like the Oakley blurb "advanced cranial hardware" rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

That seems cheap - what's wrong with it?
PG It's not a true GPS in that you cannot download maps onto it. You can only download software upgrades. The link is confusing when it says 'download'. You can, however, upload your own locations (waypoints), breadcrumb trail and distances, speeds etc from it onto an electronic logbook (software available from the Garmin site). It's designed for runners or bikers. You can record individual laps, for example. I have the 201 which is the same thing but rechargeable. Use it on the bike. Great little bit of kit for distance, speed, true average speed (it stops the timer automatically when you stop moving), back-to-start (not that I've got lost yet in our somewhat featureless deserts - but it's nice to know how far it is back to the car when the wind is blowing in your face). BTW, I didn't bother with the bracket I just padded out the handlebar with a spongy pot scourer. It's about 75mm long and 75 g - really tiny. Some screen displays can be a bit hard to see in bright sunlight but polaroids seem to help.

Just checked and it is possible to set a custom display to include altitude. It also uses altitude to compute a rough estimate of calories consumed during your run or bike ride. By using the 'lap' features and switching it 'off' every time you go up a lift, then restarting at the top, I think you could get distance skied, together with average and maximum speeds. You'd need to subtract 'resting distance' (i.e. sitting on the lifts) from the total distance travelled. So it might be OK for some snowHeads. Stick one in your Xmas stocking. If you can get one from US, they are cheaper. Not quite $=£ but close.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-12-04 10:56; edited 3 times in total
latest report
kuwait_ian wrote:
true average speed (it stops the timer automatically when you stop moving)
Hey, I could break the marathon world record after all! (In 20 metre bursts. Little Angel )
ski holidays
richmond, pink snow is sooo pretty, and as a plus ( or a minus) it shows up the bumps better in bad light, so much so that I've worn them when it's snowing as I have better vision than with my goggles, Now there's a thought. rose-tinted goggles. snowHead
ski holidays
Don't need to ski at all...................but really really really want to !
snow report
can't see the point of *really* expensive sunglasses - not unless the objective is to leave the price tag on (metaphorically at least) - in which case I prefer my Rado watch Wink
snow conditions
snowman, ah, but the X6 lacks the critical metric of the S6 - vertical speed!! Still looks pretty cool though.

I've got an Arc'teryx softshell. Probably one of my favourite bits of kit. Even wore it for a day in -10 last year just to see if it would work OK. It did, although not a great deal of in built insulation.
snow conditions
Bought a new set of gear for this season...

Arcteryx Alpha SV Jacket Very Happy Goretex XCR and super lightweight, lovely bit of Kit One for me and one for Jane (Not matching though rolling eyes )
And some new Patagonia Pants, in XCR Goretex again.
Arcteryx Jackets were both bought from the states via Ebay and came out at around £250 each delivered, which is a lot less than over here.

Oh and an Audi Quattro Very Happy Very Happy
LOL
Dom
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy