Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 10 (or more) ski resorts to visit-Where would they be and why?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

To all of those "seasoned" Snowheads snowHead out there

I'm after recommendations for ski destinations to visit and why. Has anyone got a top 10 or top 5 favourite places to ski that they have been to over the years?

Bit of background - my level - Snoworks Level 4/5
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/i_skiing_levels.html (for those that haven't come across them before) although hopefully this will improve as time goes on and still want to hear about places with difficult terrain/lots of off piste terrain-in fact thats what I'm looking for (for future trips). Is there such a thing as something for everyone? Assume friends/group to go with are same level or higher.

Doesn't matter where the resort is-could be Europe, USA, Canada, South America, NZ.
Length of stay-flexible, could be a weekend only or however many weeks on the trot.
Nightlife-doesn't matter if there isn't any or not much

Places I've been to so far, I don't mind if suggestions are to places I've already been to e.g. Chamonix, Tignes, Three Valleys etc as intend to go back to those again anyway.

Argentiere/Chamonix
Courchevel 1850
Brides Les Bains/Meribel
Tignes
Going, Austria (Ski Welt)
Bad Kleinkirchheim, Austria (Carinthia)
Madonna di Campiglio

Going to Val D'Isere soon. Have read excellent reviews for the Snoworks Chile/Argentina trip before. Haven't been to USA/Canada before but intend to next year hopefully.

Thanks, anybody's recommendations would be much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
where are your 'whys'?

we've had lists on here before, but without the 'why' it's just a list....

Mine?

1. Davos - that bonkers nude spa place Eau-la-la Shocked
2. Davos - that bonkers nude.... etc contd p94
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, Eh?

Quote:

where are your 'whys'?

we've had lists on here before, but without the 'why' it's just a list

Sorry! I think I have misled you with my list-I was just saying where I had been already-those aren't my favourite places, they're just where I've been skiing already. Thought I would say where I had been already so the SH knew before they said what their faves were like. A couple of the places I wouldn't go to again anyway, would rather go somewhere else for the same money eg Going.

It appears you are a fan of the nude spa in Davos. What do you like about the skiing in Davos? I'll have a look for the other lists on the forum. Thanks.

But since we're on the subject, I guess it be only fair to share my faves......and why! Forgot about that bit Blush Anyway, based on my findings so far......my 3 equal favourites out of the places listed are:-

Tignes-I like it because it sort of looks like a moonbase to me in some respects. I know some folk don't like the high rise concrete resorts but I liked Tignes. Plus loads of terrain (yet to try the off piste but soooooon!!). High snow sure slopes with a long ski season. Plus stayed in a great catered chalet there called Chalet Hotel Aigle (Skiworld) which was lovely.

Argentiere/Chamonix-stunning scenery, really beautiful. Thought the terrain was more challenging there than same colour runs elsewhere in France, but I may have imagined it as had an iffy knee at the time. Thoroughly enjoyed it, don't mind the bus ferrying around bit. Haven't tried off piste there-but will do-soooooooon. Nah, probably next year now.

Meribel/Courchevel 1850-lovely place the Three Valleys with just so much skiing to do there. Again have only tried a bit of the off piste but have heard its good. Something for everyone, nice places to stay, lots of English spoken if you need that, good place to go to with a varied ability group. Liked it.

As for the others, BKK-lovely hotel called the Sporthotel Kostmann with thermal spas nearby (costumed not nude) but I learned to ski there so I didn't get to see much of the area or realised where I was at the time to remember what it was like terrain wise. I have skied in Levi, Finland for one day since I was there at the time on a winter trip for a week but Levi is pretty flat so not really a ski resort by comparison to the Alps. One day was plenty there. Beautiful though, Lapland is generally. Would recommend for non-skiing activities as a place to go to for the experience.

Anybody else got any faves?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oh man... you preferred Tignes to Madonna? - you're under 25 right?

I can't do 10 resorts with all the reasons - too much 'kin typing - but the place that left a big impression this year was Verbier.... a visit in Jan, staying mainly on piste, and with the resort empty left me cold, but back in early march skiing the itinairies and the village rockin you see what all the fuss is about...

not the be-all-and-end-all but one not to miss.

snowHead

didn't get to the spas... Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27,

Nah, doesn't matter about getting 10 resorts and reasons, just a couple of your faves with whys will be fine if thats what you can manage. You have told me Verbier now anyway. What about the skiing in Davos!?

No I'm 29. I liked Madonna yes, very chic and quite a bit of skiing to be had. I was only on my second week skiing there though so I wouldn't have appreciated it properly. Madonna di Campiglio is somewhere I will definitely go back to to see it through a different pair of ski goggles so to speak. Hotel Lorenzetti-food absolutely out of this world, plus a minibus driver to ferry you around everywhere you want to go practically that week.

Right so its Verbier, Davos, back to MDC again, Chamonix again, Tignes/Val d'Isere again, Three Valleys again so far. Not necessarily in that order.

What about St Anton?

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to over 100 resorts - it's really hard to pick a top 10 as I've been to so many fantastic areas. In general I'm easy pleased - anywhere in good snow/great weather is fantastic to the dedicated Snowhead! (eg had one of my best ever days on skis at Glencoe in January this year - conditions and weather were absolutely perfect and we skied loads of steep off piste stuff back to car park level).

Anyway, here goes:

1. 3 Valleys of Chile (Valle Nevado/La Parva/El Colorado) - amazing to ski winter conditions and powder in our summer. (Casa Tours based in the USA is highly recommended!)
2. Chillan, Chile - for the hike to the top of an active volcano from the ski area and the off piste descent. Ditto re. above comments on summer skiing.
3. Espace Killy - fantastic variety of terrain & reliable snow.
4. 3 Vallees, France - unbeatable piste skiing.
5. Zermatt - great skiing and the Matterhorn is fantastic.
6. Serre Chevalier - massive area, not many flat bits, great scenery & a real surprise in terms of how good it is.
7. St Anton (+ Lech/Zurs) great skiing, great town, great late season snow.
8. Whistler - just amazing.
9. Chamonix - great off piste, great scenery and a proper town full of character.
10.Any Scotland ski area on a good day (see above re. Glencoe) - full on proper skiing without going abroad. The Scottish areas also deserve our support.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think we need a roving "snowhead's current top 10 resorts" thread, just like we have the Jungfrau thread. It will be allowed to go on to hundreds of pages. New Snowheads can be directed there.

There had been several of such threads every few months, each with a little different title, which make it difficult to search for them...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Whistler and Verbier.

Go to Whistler first. Sign up for Dave Murray Camp and / or Extremely Canadian. And then go and rip Verbier...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In some ways an easy one to answer, but in other respects "a toughie!"

Here's my top 10 (or 11...) places I could happily overdose on. Not in any particular order, as that would be a bit difficult-

1. Alta, Utah - incredible, lift served (plus - for those up for it - a bit of in-bounds hiking) steep as you want runs and regular powder. 50 feet of snow each winter. Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, say no more...
2. 3 valleys, France - unlimited cruising on piste. Massive mileage and massive vertical.
3. Val d'Isere/Tignes, France. Great village (Val D) and a great ski area, with phenomenal off piste when the conditions are right. Massive mileage possibilities and some great, challenging runs.
4. St. Anton, Austria - As for 3 (above) but an even better, lively village.
5. Jackson Hole, Wyoming - deserves its reputation. Tough skiing and a great snow record. Nice town.
6. Vail, Colorado - again, a deserved international reputation but not as tough (overall) as Jackson Hole or Alta. Nevertheless, some real challenges if you want them... And a lovely town.
7. Whistler, Canada - massive area on 2 big mountains. Lots of great skiing and a very lively town.
8. Winter Park, Colorado. Underrated but just as good as its more famous neighbours. Less busy but some excellent steep stuff and a fantastic snow record. Bump capital of the world and some orgasmic (well, nearly - it was THAT good!) skiing in glades/trees.
9. Termas de Chillan, Chile. Phenomenal off piste.
10. Chamonix, France. Stunning scenery and fantastic, challenging skiing. And a real, atmospheric mountain town.
=10. Zermatt, Switzerland. Mindblowing scenery and a massive ski area with a great snow record.

Nearly made it:-
- Anywhere with (even half) decent snow. I second Mountain Addicts view!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1. La Rosiere - Had some great holidays and laughs there.
2. Courchevel - Had a great holiday and laughs there.
3. Les Menuries - Had some great holidays and laughs there.
4. La Plagne - Had a great holidays and laughs there.
5. Radstad/Altenmarkt - Had a great holiday and laughs there.
6. Val Thorens - Had some great holidays and laughs there.

Been to a few more, but this list ticked the most fun holiday boxes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks John Crawford, PhillipStanton, mountainaddict, cor your lists were good, I have written the places to go on a list!

Incidentally John Crawford, mountainaddict, How long has it taken you to get round all those places, I take it we are talking a few years here or could one have a few months off and go round the American and Canadian resorts you said about instead of flying back and forth from the UK to US/Canada each time?

abc, Yes that would be useful as when I did a search I couldn't find any lists of favourite resorts but maybe I was doing a search on how long to cook your Christmas turkey for by mistake and therefore not getting the desired results.

Thanks all

Emma
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh and thanks also Frosty the Snowman, just saw your post just after posted mine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, Great resorts are different thing to different people. Always good to hear what floats peoples boats.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, haven't actually been to Davos yet - just messin wit ya... Go next wednesday so I'll let you know...

Here's another couple...

Cervinia, sunny, snow-sure cruisy skiing, friendly, fun, beautiful Italian people, some great hotels and fansatic food and wine. Even the oppurtunity to ski over into Zermatt if dark, miserable valleys float your kayak wink

Glenshee - stunning wilderness scenary, often challenging snow conditions (i.e. grass) and the ever present howling gale create a ...er... unique experience. And the Mars bars are to die for - literally.

Frosty the Snowman, Man, you've got to be joking about Les Manures surely - it's a dump! OK your holiday was great, I hear that, but the place has got to be the worst of the 3V's resort by far - am I wrong?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, I think Les Menuires improves every year. I was in a lovely ski in/out chalet with a big jaccuzzi and a sauna, along with 20 friends and family. We could ski back onto the sun terrace of a bar in Reberty2000, befofre tackling the 30 metre walk to the chalet. It was bloody brilliant. I would pick it over Merihell EVERY time.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, interesting.... I have to say I was there about 15 years ago so sounds like my view is well out of date - I'm off to the 3V next winter so I'll take a look.

Nothing beats those big-party chalet holidays - what a scream Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
1. La Rosiere - Had some great holidays and laughs there.
2. Courchevel - Had a great holiday and laughs there.
3. Les Menuries - Had some great holidays and laughs there.
4. La Plagne - Had a great holidays and laughs there.
5. Radstad/Altenmarkt - Had a great holiday and laughs there.
6. Val Thorens - Had some great holidays and laughs there.

Been to a few more, but this list ticked the most fun holiday boxes.

So you have had some great holidays and laughs then wink
ski holidays
red 27, To be able to click on the skis, and have an empty 3 minute warm up ski down to the La Masse gondola, and then catch the 1st lift up to the best ski area in the 3v, has to be worth some achitectural sacrifice Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I am an architect in my offline life so it's a little harder to take... I just need to educate myself more in the concrete Brutalism Period to fully appreciate the subtle delights and irony - either that or just get over myself and enjoy the skiing Very Happy

I prefer Sestriere - you know where you are with Mussolini
snow report
Of the places I've been:-

France: Avoriaz, Courchevel, Tignes, Val D, La Plagne, Valmorel
Extensive ski terrain and impressive lift systems, although much of the on-piste was pretty bland and often crowded. But some great off-piste. All extremely ugly resorts with perhaps the exception of Valmorel. I'm in no hurry to go back to any of these places, especially now with the ever increasing hordes of chavs.

Austria: Zell Am Zilller, Solden, Kitzbuhel
Far more character and atmosphere than the purpose built French resorts, although I missed the ski-in/out badly. Also had very poor snow conditions in Kitzbuhel. Solden was good and we stayed in the higher village with excellent ski-in/out.

Italy: Madonna
Pretty town with loads of great places to eat. Great scenery too. But the skiing was limited and snow conditions relatively poor. We liked the place enough for a return visit, but not primarily for the skiing.

Canada: Lake Louise, Banff, Whistler, Big White
Now we're talking! My first Canadian experience was Lake Louise / Banff in the mid 90s. It was stunning and blew away everywhere else I'd ever been previously. It was very hard to fault except perhaps for the lack of ski-in/out. Very friendly atmosphere, stunning scenery, great snow, spacious accommodation, uncrowded slopes (at least back then), superb off-piste and gladed skiing. Whistler was superb too, but more crowded and the snow was a bit wet (March 2006). But my favourite place so far is Big White. We've spent 8 weeks there in total now and bought our own apartment there last year. Snow conditions are superb, crowds are non-existent, gladed skiing is the best I've seen, the slopeside village has superb ski-in.out and fantastic accommodation. For the near future I'll be heading to the neighbouring resorts of Silver Star and Revelstoke Very Happy
snow report
It's amazing how the snow can affect your opinion. My list:

Sella Ronda villages: always good snow conditions, stunning scenery and great food, not to mention friendly locals.

Madonna: for the same reasons above, we've always had fantastic snow conditions there, especially for March/April skiing (off there on Saturday)

Canada, Lake Louise: not visited for 10 years, but I'd love to go back, the quality of the snow there (and quantity!) was mindboggling.

Flims: little known resort, but big ski area, lovely scenery, food and locals. The town is low though so you need to pick your season.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, It's taken 23 years to take those places off and we squeeze in a few trips each season. (Easyjet and Ryanair cheap weekends have a lot going for them). Still working on my list though and hope to be ticking places off for the next 23 years (and a bit longer) as well!! I should be able to come up with a top 20 by then.

It's just a shame that work gets in the way of the slopes. But then again Mrs C bought me a mug that sums it up nicely - "I only work so I can afford to ski!" Nothing a lottery win wouldn't fix, me thinks....
ski holidays
La Grave
Powder Mountain, Utah
Kicking Horse
Chamonix
Termas de chillan
Espace Killy
Whistler
Squaw Valley
Krasynia Poliana, Russia
Broken River, NZ
Mt Baker, washington state

All amazing on their day.
latest report
A prize for those who spotted my typo above.

Of course, it's taken 23 years to "tick off" the places on my list....
snow report
Oh, I thought it was

Quote:
Ryanair ... have a lot going for them

Laughing
latest report
uktrailmonster, I was going to ask if you knew what the state of play was with regard to the extension of Kelowna's airport to accommodate transatlantic flights - and I thought I'd look on their website first:

Quote:
The first phase of the 2010 Airport Development Program is the runway extension. The runway will be extended from 7300 feet to 8900 feet in time for the 2008/09 ski season which will allow for direct intercontinental air service from such countries as the UK and Germany to depart from YLW

http://www.kelownaairport.com/

That'll be great when you can fly direct there from the UK, hopefully next season snowHead
snow report
cathy, It's definitely going ahead, but I haven't heard anything about actual flight schedules yet. We're keeping our fingers crossed too for next season. We connected in Vancouver this year, which was pretty painless except for the extra journey time of course. A direct flight should save a good 3-4 hours in total, making it very convenient with only an hour transfer from Kelowna.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy