Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piou Piou in Les Arcs / Peisey Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me anything about what the ESF kindergartens are like in Les Arcs and Peisey Vallandry? We are deciding where to go next year but I want to make sure there is a decent sized area for my 3-year old to learn to ski in.

Some, for instance the one in Val Thorens, are really good with several conveyer belts and a decent sized area to ski in, but others (like the one my 4-year old was in at Courchevel 1650) are really small and flat and I think she would be bored after a few days.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dibblette, Where would you plan on staying, have you got somewhere in mind?

We went to Peisey this year with Espirt and used ESF for the first time. Ours are 9,7,6 but was very unimpressed with the ESF teaching. The kindergarten area is very flat and just up behind the main lift in Peisey. If the fecking washing line is open Peisey is a great location. Only thing that I wasn't 100% on was the main road through it which cars do seem to go a bit fast on. Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dibblette, We have just come back from Peisey, also with Esprit. very impressed with Esprit again.
But same as thefatcontroller, pretty unimpressed with ESF there. I watched from a distance the first lesson our 3 (almost 4) year old had, they all put their skis on, no problem, then one by one were shuffled over to a tow-rope, she fell off and hurt her hand mainly because she noone had put her gloves on her. Screaming of 'Mummy' commenced. The instructor took her skis off her and sat her down, from then on she refused to even put the skis on.
I left it til the after the following lesson as I didn't want to interfere, when I spoke to the instuctor he said 'Maybeee she iz not old enough, I sink she iz scared of sliding' Rubbish we had her on skis last winter twice and her only complaints were ' get out of my way', 'let go of me' and 'Not fast enough'.
I'm no instructor but I was expecting some fun and games to begin with, maybe put one ski on and scoot around, maybe 'let's try and jump in them and see shat happens' etc etc. Why, why, why put a 3 year old on a tow rope, heck, I'm pretty crap at them myself!

I took her off halfway through one lesson (where she was sitting at the bottom) to the flat section near the lifts and she was quite happy to put the skis on and muck around with me. The instuctor then let me put her on the magic carpet so he could help her down from the top, but to be honest I think all trust in him was completely non-existant by that point.
It probably depends on how resilient your child is, some of the others were quite happy going round and round. Some spent most of the time sitting at the bottom.

The kids area is pretty small and seems to consist of tow rope up one side and magic carpet up the other (starts about 4 metres up) but it's pretty flat and to be honest even they could probably have walked up it on skis. The older kids, once ok on this, are taken up to the beginners area at the top of the Peisey lift.

There is also a kids area at Vallandry, didn't take a close look at it though.

I suspect that ESF is going to be down to which teacher you end up with.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dibblette, would not recommend ESF in Vallandry at all (see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=509176 ) is a very small area and I don't think they helped at all.

Would however recommend New Generation and Darentasia for private lessons for kids as both were excellent - pricey I admit but worth every penny
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tizzyb, I would agree with the ESF instructor that 3 is too young. If you are going to put your children in a ski lesson the best thing you can do is disappear for 2 hours!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fogliettaz, I now tend to agree with you, and am very much of a mind of the 'if they don't like it, don't push them' and I did not. Also after seeing her fall, I left, she did not see me. After my one above described 'interferance' I took her out of the lessons later in the week when it was clear she didn't want to do it. Main problem being that Esprit had no alternative childcare arrangement for 3/4 year olds not participating in the lessons. It is a lot for them to take in, new place, new people, strange sensations, but if 3 is too young they should not be offering lessons, and if they are they should be differently structured wit the emphasis on play.

There were 2 kids in the class who had only just turned 3 and faired better, our's turns 4 this month and is not a small fragile child, so hardly the youngest in the class, and we had her on skis last winter. I still question the ESF methods even for slightly older kids. If you'd seen her on a bum board you would not think she is scared of sliding....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tizzy,

Did your nipper go as a "Sprite beginner" or a "Spritelet" with Esprit, or did you book directly with ESF?

When I booked with Esprit, I said my (just) four year old had had one lesson on the indoor slope, and she was put down as a Sprite beginner, even though the minimum age for this is stated as 5! I got her put back into Spritelets, which seemed to involve more snowballs, snowmen and snow angels for the first day or two than "skiing". (Exactly as described.) If she'd stayed in the beginners' group it could have gone pear-shaped in very short order.

My eldest (five and a bit) hated her lessons for the first two days because she didn't like one of the instructors. Once the group split and she had her favoured "Pierre, the famous French ski instructor" she couldn't get out of the chalet fast enough each morning.

Ski instructors are like teachers - kids get on with some and not with others. There are also zillions of reasons why a kid might "down skis", unrelated to skiing. I think you'll just have to go again soon to give your nipper another go. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Flying Snowplough, We did 2 years with Esprit in Montchavin and Esprit used Evolution2. All the instructors there were great and the parents and kids got to know them. This year as stated above we moved to Peisey and Espirt use ESF there. Found it all very remote, the woman who taught then super spritlets in the morning was a complete batle axe. No teaching just lots of shouting 'follow me'.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's a Super Spritelet?

Evo2 - as used by Esprit - in La Ros seemed very good, although the ESF beginner area was much nicer. The Evo2 instructors appeared to be a lot younger than the ESF mob on the whole, which might help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Flying Snowplough, We like Evo2 so much we are going to Montchavin tomorrow and have booked a privaye lesson with them ourselves.

Quote:
Esprit Super Sprites

Once children have had some experience on snow, they will have caught the wintersports ‘bug’, and we know they want to spend as much time as possible outside having fun. Increasingly we have been asked to provide even more variety and excitement for this group, so we have adapted our Super Sprites so that the five afternoons this winter will now include one afternoon each* of:

Snowboarding
Slalom race-gate skiing
Snow-blading
Free-ride skiing with bumps &
jumps
Snow-shoeing

This means children in Super Sprites will now need to be of intermediate level or above to enjoy these adventures.

The afternoons are designed to be great fun as well as instructive and always of course under the leadership of a suitably qualified instructor.

Super Sprites includes lunch and runs for five afternoons a week with our care ratios of 1:8 firmly adhered to. Children can either be dropped off at the meeting point by their parents or, if in a morning Sprites class, can be taken to lunch and then on to Super Sprites by our staff.

After Super Sprites finishes at approximately 4pm, the children are collected by our staff and join the rest of the children in Snow Club until they are returned to their own chalets for high tea. Children staying in hotels must be collected by their parents by 5.30pm please.

Children in Super Sprites will need to have the “Flexi Pack” arrangement to cover all their different equipment hire needs

In St Anton, the Intermediate All Day Sprites class has been designed to include a range of Super Sprite style activities, as we do not run a separate Super Sprites class there.

We recommend that all Intermediate children 8 years old and over join our Super Sprites afternoon group rather than Snow Club, to enjoy these adventurous outdoor afternoons.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Flying Snowplough, The little'un went as a Spritelet (booked through Esprit) which I was expecting to be more snowball fights/snowmen/games etc. which is how it's described in the Esprit brochure. We did mention it to the childcare manager who said we were not the first to complain....

As you say I suspect the non-skiing was due to a combination of factors.

This year we just went as a family, rather than our usual bigish group and their kids. We will try again next year when hopefully the company of others she knows (We will have 2 more Spritelets in the group) will help, as well as being another year older.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tizzy - Sounds like you were unlucky. When you spend a relative fortune on one week of the year for skiing it's a pain to be so dependent on uncontrollable factors (e.g. weather, chalet-mates, kids' relationships with other kids / instructors etc.) to extract maximum value.

I'd complain a lot to Esprit - they might give you a discount for next year! I'm sure the fact that they don't use ESF except where there's no feasible alternative tells its own story.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spent a week in Vallandry last year, Jan 2007, DIY vacation.
My daughter, who turned 3 while we were there, stayed at the Tom Pouce Creche in Vallandry, from which she was taken daily to a ski lesson with ESF. We were very pleased with the results- it started out with the anticipated crying and objection but ended on a happy note. The instructor was a rather menacing gaulic she-warrior named Guillomette, who mellowed and lightened up as the week progressed and the girlie found her footing on the snow. I think that her uncompromising attitude made the girlie realize that resistance was futile (dunno if this is a faux pas in the forum, but here's a snapshot: http://www.vimeo.com/130016).
As for the creche, they were not quite as English speaking as we had hoped, but it was enough to keep our daughter happy and busy for the day. The key factor was naturally to have some friends to play with and fortunately, there were a few of those. The prices were reasonable, about the same as Esprit's childcare+ski lessons. All in all, we were very satisfied.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd certainly recommend Tom Pouce, ours have all stayed there with no probs
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the advice. We are going on a DIY holiday to keep the cost down, booking a self-catering apartment and driving - Esprit is a bit out of our price range.

We are also fairly sure we will use ESF as we want our tiddler to have access to a fun enclosed area to learn in, with magic carpet etc. Whilst I agree sometimes the ESF really lacks in some areas of teaching, I have been resasonably happy with the way they've taught my two older boys (4 and 6).

So what I am really keen to know is what the ESF kindergarten areas are like in the different Les Arcs areas (Arcs 2000 etc etc. )
There seems to be little information available on the individual websites. Thanks for any help you can give me. Smile
ski holidays
dibblette, for a family resort I'd thoroughly recommend Vallandry. If its tiddlers first time on skis, then they will be fine with the area there is, it is small but not to bad. The nursery was good and took the kids to and from the lessons.

For anything more than just an experience on skis though I would try and use the other companies

I'll have a route around for some photos of the area

Best I can do - shows magic carpet, lack of snow as was Chrimbo 06
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy