Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

expensive clothing is it worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
red 27 wrote:
My own couture ensemble is ancient black sallys of ouknown provenance, costs, or make teamed with a grey/green/brown Mountain Hardwear soft-shell jacket which is the veteran of many seasons of both climbing & skiing, odd gloves and of course rounded off by my shiny pink noggin - Parfait!

red 27, What no brown, baggy, cord 'pants'? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jo66, Ha! Rumbled! And even worse I'll now be all matching! I can see I'll have to be more careful who I tell What wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, Sorry, couldn't resist Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As with most expensive stuff, there are diminishing returns. But if you can afford it and choose wisely the expensive stuff looks better, feels better and lasts longer. I've got a black Dainese jacket and a pair of army green Rossignol pants, both Goretex. They look cool, keep me warm and dry in whatever weather and were reassuringly expensive. I don't skimp on base and mid layers either. Icebreaker Merino all the way. To save money for this kind of stuff I don't smoke, drink (much) or go on summer beach holidays.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can happily report the expensive jacket was well worth the extra money, I had a mixed week of conditions from blazing sunshine to blizzards.... but low and behold I was warm dry and toasty all week. The hood was great at keeping the snow out of my ears when the wind was blowing.... now hunting in the sale for some new thermals ready for next year...any suggestions?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
charlotte366, Glad that you are pleased with your purchase. FWIW I spent a couple of years in nothing special - the first year in my original fartbag from 10+ years back Embarassed and the second in a £20 pair of Tchibo sallies (I'd highly recommend Tchibo sallies btw) and a £30 D2B jacket from TKMAXX. I then spotted an opportunity for a matched set of Radium Trespass gear in TKMAXX for the grand total of £60. Trespass is a lower priced range, but their Radium line is the top of what they do - so for anyone that's looking out for something within a limited budget (as I was) that's another way to go - buy a lower priced make, but go for the top of the range and you might still be able to end up paying less than the lowest priced lot from a higher priced range.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
charlotte366, Merino wool thermals are a good bet. Icebreaker have a great range of base and mid layers. Merino is not generally itchy like normal wool, providing you use their fine "skin" baselayers, which are extremely comfortable. Icebreaker mid layers are much less bulky than fleeces and look less nerdy when worn at home. I've been using Icebreaker base and mid layers for the last 3 seasons and all my man-made stuff is sitting in the loft.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy