Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wife and daughter face off with theiving scumbag!

Poster: A snowHead
So we came out of mountain restaurant on saturday:
"Some bug has taken my poles!"
My wife was NOT pleased...her nice poles were gone, they were hung on her skis, and left in their place were some crappy rental poles with a No.1. sticker.
Bollox!

Anyway later that afternoon when coming down the stairs from the cable car my teenage daughter spots the poles, or were they? My wife spots that the guy has crappy rental skis with a No.1. sticker...but her nice poles.

They confront him in a subtle way:

"Oh Hi, did we see you in Au Mayen at lunch?"
"Er yes, I was there"
"Well then it looks like you have my poles, because these are yours, I'm sure you made an honest mistake" (Yea, sure you did!)

The guy is with his mates, they start laughing, he makes some excuse about not having noticed and hands them over.

Scumbag!
I wasn't there...in retrospect they handled it a lot better than I would have!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp, Sickens me, not what skiing is all about but hearing a lot more of it this year Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nothing a good head-butt wouldnt sort out
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry, All sounds great till you throw in his mates, and skis and the inability to move anywhere fast in skis boots... Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you seem mental enough, generally the mates will leave it!

had something similar a couple of years ago except with my skis! think it was a genuine mistake though my skis were white and his rentals were feckin blue - he almost got a slap, but as he had his 5 year old son in tow i thought it best to show some restraint (plus he was a big buggger - it would've been touch and go...!) Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A quick kick to the b4lls( Crying or Very sad ) usually works in this case
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a complete contrast to this, in Serre Che the other week my mate and I took a chairlift up to the top then had a leisurely ski down to Villeneuve. As we ate our lunch there, my mate realised his rucksack wasn't on his back Smile So we got the lift back up to the top and skied back down to Chantemerle. Said rucksack was on the ground exactly where he'd left it, complete with SLR etc inside, and this was at least two hours later. Faith in humanity restored!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pity he didn't fall out the window during some tomfoolery Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am I missing something ? If he had rental poles he would be returning poles to the shop surely ?

I suspect it could be laziness or a mistake, rather than stealing.

Ultraviolence might be slightly over the top in this instance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latchigo, Shops are not concerned with poles. Presuming he wasn't flying he may well have got himself a lovely pair of poles for free.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe he was starting with the poles and then going to get some skis?

A swift kick to the nuts is the way to deal with this type of skier followed by a secong kick to the nuts for good measure Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow - some of you guys have some pent up aggression on here! Skullie

Mrs & Ms rungsp dealt with it perfectly Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You have a very brave wife rungsp. Smile

More people should definitely lock up their gear or at least separate their skis and poles to stop this happening. I always do this because I know so may people who've had skis taken. In Whistler in the past, gangs have been known to drive up to the resort and load up vans with whole ski racks full of skis.

While in Val D'Isere the other year, my friend had her rental skis swiped. She went back to the hire shop to tell them what had happened and they told her to take someone elses skis and bring them back to the shop instead before they'd fix her up with a new pair of skis. Shocked

Luckily, the person who'd taken my friend's skis returned them after realising he'd mistakenly taken the wrong ones so no harm done.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There was a rumour doing the rounds that some ski shops where setaling there own skis and charging people for losing them Shocked Red27 stealing gear is the lowest of the low and deserves whatever punishment is dealt out Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, no way on earth could you mix up the rental crap bent poles, rubbish grips, bit of string for a strap with her ergo-grips, composite poles, breakaway straps.

Much more likely he was going to say "oops" to the renatal shop, pay their CHF 40 fee or whatever and walk off with her expensive poles in his luggage.

He was caught, he knew he was caught.
snow report
What nationality was he?
latest report
DB, brit.
ski holidays
Ordhan wrote:
... some ski shops where setaling there own skis ...

rungsp wrote:
... "oops" to the renatal shop ...

Things have obviously changed since I worked in a ski shop. We never had setaling and renatal in my day.
latest report
I always cable lock my skis and poles to the ski stand. A friend had exactly the same experience as Snowy's friend, the ski hire place telling him to take someone elses, a bit like a DVD player on a council estate. Toofy Grin
snow report
Having had the pleasure of meeting Mrs rungsp yesterday, she didn't strike me as the type to offer anyone out!

I think that this approach of being humiliated by a lady out skiing with her daughter and being made to look like a thieving scrote in the process in front of his mates probably caused him more pain than a quick slap would have done. Imagine the p*ss taking he'll have to put up with now
snow conditions
JP, As I read this I also thought about locking up the poles with the skis. However, I think it could be difficult to find of way of securing poles - my handle loops - as I'm sure many must have, have buckles on them and could be undone and my baskets are 'solid' without a window frame pattern in them.

The fact that her poles hooked onto her skis had been replaced with someone elses poles leads me to think that there was a touch of deliberate about the swap. I think Mrs Rungsp did brilliant and in her situation I'd have done exactly the same thing. Mind you that's one thing about having bright pink poles, with a few exceptions at least 1/2 the skiing population probably wouldn't be seen dead skiing round with them in the same way Mrs Rungsp's were, so that's 50% of the thieves discounted for starters.
latest report
Oops double post - how did that happen?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 10-03-08 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum,
Quote:

I think Mrs Rungsp did brilliant and in her situation I'd have done exactly the same thing.

I would like to think that I would have reacted in the same way, but being a bloke I would probably have dealt with it badly. Embarassed

With regards to the securing of poles, yes the loops can be undone but usually thieves will not want to spend time undoing stuff and will move onto the next easier to steal set.

P.S. Got the message the first time.
latest report
You're allowed to take ski poles and umbrellas into restaurants.

Skis are definitely best locked up - I've had a pair of brand new K2s stolen, with no insurance pay-out.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,

You ski with an umbrella?
snow conditions
Of course I ski with a bloody umbrella if it's raining
latest report
Is there any reason why recreational ski poles shouldn't incorporate a brolly?
snow report
No reason at all. I've been asking that question for years.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, I want to be able to buy a ski pole with a seat on it like a shooting stick to take the strain in long lift queues.

Seat on one, brolly in t'other?
ski holidays
And a little flask for a warming dram in both.
latest report
richmond, I'll just pop to the Patent Office.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Of course I ski with a bloody umbrella if it's raining

I was forgetting you spent some of your youth skiing Scotland.
ski holidays
JP, it may be too late. In fact, it is.
latest report
I think David Goldsmith may have a point about umbrellas:
As an avalanche survival tool what could be better, open the brolly and hold on tight.....as we all know they are just as good as a parachute (100s of Tom & Gerry, Roadrunner etc cartoons prove this).
With the brolly you will simply float to the surface.

No need for the pesky avalanche cord David...a brolly is the answer.

Mind you....I flippin hate those types who ski around with big golf umbrellas....what is wrong with a standard size anyway?
snow conditions
Which begs the question - Is David Goldsmith the Mary Poppins of off-piste skiing?

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Mary-Poppins-mv03.jpg
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
JP, However, I think it could be difficult to find of way of securing poles - my handle loops - as I'm sure many must have, have buckles on them and could be undone and my baskets are 'solid' without a window frame pattern in them.

We just tie a ski lock cable round everything. The determined tea-leaf would be able to snip it off or un-thread the poles, or with a lot of jiggling, get the skis. But hopefully well before then they would have moved on to un-secured skis.
latest report
I have always admired this umbrella shop in New Oxford Street
http://www.james-smith.co.uk/
I do not think they make ski umbrellas.
A sword umbrella would be useful for fending off gypsies and asylum seekers, but sadly they no longer make them,though sword sticks are advertised in the window.
snow report
DB wrote:
Which begs the question - Is David Goldsmith the Mary Poppins of off-piste skiing?

Or is he Ivan Umbrella of Vienna Waterski Patrol?
snow report
Are you on the left or right David Goldsmith?
snow report
Latchigo wrote:
I have always admired this umbrella shop in New Oxford Street
http://www.james-smith.co.uk/

Suppliers of brollies to Richmond, as it happens. They do make weighted walking sticks (and possibly brollies) for biffing evildoers, I think.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 10-03-08 17:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy