Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian motorways

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
These are toll roads paid by vignette, I believe. Does one need to pay for the A12 from the German border to Exit 6, Kufstein Sud?

I've driven to Kitzbuhel from Munich on that road several times and never given a thought to a toll, and I don't remember seeing any signs about the need for a vignette. It looks as if that bit at least may be toll free, judging by Kitzbuhel Tourist Office publications, but it's not clear.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Didn't have to pay any tolls last Saturday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The vignette is displayed much like a tax disc, it's required on all roads prefixed with "A" or "S". There are additional tolls with booths in some places but these are inaddition to the vignette.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette (click on road tax)

The ÖAMTC (Austrian AA equivalent) says technically a vignette is required but people are only advised to have one on this stretch of motoway but not prosecuted before the Kufstein Süd exit. They do say that whether it will be required in the future is still under question. It might be worth bypassing the few km's of Austrian motorway if unsure.

Link in German ....
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/pages/resshp/anwendg/1056862.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, thanks (and to kiwi1, too, of course). That explains why I couldn't see anything obvious on an Austrian government site about not needing the vignette for that stretch. The Kitzbuhel Tourist Office tout it as 'toll free', and various unoffcial websites describe it as toll free.

Am I correct in reading that a 10 day vignette costs only 4.40 euro? If so, any idea how I could buy one conveniently , in case we wish to drive on another bit of motorway (intendign to go to Kitzbuhel for a week in the summer)?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richmond,

Seen it priced €4.40 for 2007 but this article (in German) says a 10 day vignette is now €7.70.
http://oesterreich.orf.at/stories/213824/

They can be purchased at local petrol and motorway service stations.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I drove from munich to saalbach this way a couple of weeks ago, the vignette (french word??) is €7.70. I bought one at the service station just at the border.

Please. please, please beware, I had an absolute nightmare on this road. It took 4 hours to get from airport to resort in some of the worst traffic I have seen. On the way back even worse, 4 hours 45min!! that was the storm emma weekwnd though but still!! Evil or Very Mad
We made check in by literally seconds, and that was with dumping the hire car in the taxi rank!!

You never see the jams like the one I was in on the Top Gear road trip films!!!

joe
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
joe1978, I don't know if you used the A12, but on a Saturday the trip up to MUC (on the A12 and then whatever you take in Germany) can be terrible, a normally 90 minute trip can be 3 hours +, no problem. For Kitzbuhel, the train is greatly preferable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I drove that way last year, I remember reading that the vignette isn't enforced till beyond the Kufstein Sud exit, that's where we got off onto the 173 twd Scheffau/Ellmau, no problems. I guess they allow this so that Kufstein doesn't become one giant traffic jam with all the German holidaymakers that pile into the Tyrol on Friday/Saturday.

I remember on a Friday evening in January that the A8 Munich-Salzburg was jammed up, but we left jams behind when we turned south on A93/A12 twd Kufstein.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For those who are driving past this kufstein sud exit I wouldn't be tight and not pay the fiver, you get huuuuge fines for not having it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
take exit 59 instead, just north of Kufstein, head via Kossen then across to Lofer / Zell am See or down to St Johann in Tirol / Kitzbuhel.

I've used this route (via Lofer) the last twice I went to Kaprun and it is much quieter than the 312 via Ellmau.

ps no vignette required Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Next time I'm going to avoid all motorways and use tomtom over the back roads, it was that bad!!

joe
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy