Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Numb foot

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, I'm new here, but hoping I might get a bit of advice....apologies in advance for the length of this post, but probably best to get the facts straight first.

I recently bought a pair of ski boots (my first pair) - Salomon Impact 8 size 28.0. I have narrowish feet with quite high arches.

Had them fitted in the shop where I bought them; from what I've read here and elsewhere, they did everything they should have done - measured my feet; tried on the shell with no liner; tried on with liner and the footbed; heat moulded to my feet. etc

Having spent a couple of evenings wearing them around the house (mild discomfort, but put that down to them bedding in), I then spent two consecutive days skiing at Glenshee, and Aviemore. The boots were great as far as control etc were concerned, except that by the end of the first day, the front half of both feet had gone numb. This recovered within about half an hour, so I put it down to having overtightened the boots, and waited to see what would happen the next day.
Next day, I had a numb foot (left definitely worse than right) by lunchtime, so took the boot off for 20 minutes and it cleared up. By the end of the day however, it had gone numb again, and after recovering a bit, stayed like that for the rest of the week! I went to the doctor on the Monday, who reassured me that I hadn't cut off the blood supply to my foot, and that I'd probably trapped a nerve - advised me to just "wait for it to get better". By this stage I had also noticed that I had a tender spot just below my ankle bone on the inside of my left ankle, which feels a bit like a ganglion (like you would get on your hand). There is a slight lump which feels like it has been squashed by my boot.

As the the following weekend was the start of a weeks holiday in La Plagne, I returned to the boot shop, where the fitter was very helful and re-moulded the liner with a pad over the tender spot - the intention being to relieve any pressure. He also thought that this might be the cause of the numbness.

Had a great week in La plagne - BUT numb foot every day, which stayed slightly numb over night...

Didn't ski for a month after returning from France, during which time the permanent numbness decreased, but never completely went away. Tender spot on my ankle (which is actually a pronounced lump) remained tender,

So, the reason for this post now, is that towards the end of a great day at Glencoe on Tuesday, the numbness got even worse, and eventually started to get really painful. I'm starting to wonder if there's any more I can do, or wether I'm doomed to have a numb foot for the whole ski season!
Has anyone else experienced this tender spot on the ankle (someone said it might be the Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon)?

Once again, sorry for the long post - hope you can help.

Thanks

Andy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would like to suggest raising your heel a little in the boot to reduce the internal angle thus reducing the strain on two of the principal tendons in the foot, however you have bought a boot with a very low instep and have pointed out you have a high instep so this would be counter productive. I'd see a Bootfitter to look at the bootliner to see if has been damaged during the moulding process causing the plastic part of the tongue to fold in over the tender part of your foot, to check the footbed and to see if there is room for the heel lift.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been experiencing similar issues - which I have just posted in the wrong place (doh!) http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=887646#887646 . I don't have your ankle issue... ...but certainly have the long term numbness and pain, which I had hoped/expected footbeds to sort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for linking Polly. Looks like you have a similar problem to me.

I've been reading back on a few older posts on this subject, and it looks like the over riding advice is to find a good boot fitter. I've seen refernce to a guy called Fergus in Aviemore. Anyone know of anyone else in my part of the world (Perth)?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andy, I was searching some other forums last night and apparently Banks of Perth have a good reputation, not sure how they would be if you didn't buy them there . I had mine done at Blues in Edinburgh and the woman that sold me the boots did everything I think she should have done - and that everyone here says they should. As it was during a sale I came back when it was a bit less busy to get my footbeds fitted. The guy who dealt with me then also seemed to know what he was doing; but the reality on piste is not so good. I will go back to Blues to see if they can fix it / me, as soon as I am happy that my feet have fully recovered. From what I have heard on line and in the flesh Blues seem to have a good reputation (and the staff certainly made a distinction when I was in between people who could fit boots and who could do footbeds and those who were just selling goggle, jackets etc).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pressure on the nerves at a ganglion, or along the length of the axon may translate into pain in the foot. A bit like Sciatica where the problem is in the lower back but felt in the legs. Ask a reputable chiropractor if you can't get success from the GP, but make sure it is a chiropractor and not an osteopath or worse.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy