Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 2009 self drive

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know when ferry or euro tunnel can be booked for feb 2009? Or can anyone tell me what it cost roughly this year in half term week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We paid £75 for our crossing, which was on the Friday morning. We came back on the Sunday - would have been £75 as well, though we opted for the Flexi-plus fare of £199, as it was our first time and we had no idea of what time we would get there. We were quite glad of it as we arrived hours earlier than we thought and still managed to get on pretty much straight away.

I think we booked around September/October time - we used Tesco Clubcard vouchers so we didn't actually have to pay out for the tickets. Not sure I'd have paid the £199 if I wasn't using the Tesco vouchers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sk8girl, I've often wondered what extra the Flexi Plus fare gives you, because if we arrive early we always get on an earlier train anyway, having only paid the ordinary fare (I use Tesco vouchers too snowHead ). But then we only go at quiet times. If the trains are fully booked, presumably even the Flexi Plus doesn't get you on? The normal fare gives you flexibility 2 hours either side, and if you are arriving later than that, you can just phone them. Brilliant. You might have to pay a bit more if it's a more expensive crossing, but nothing like as much as the Flexi Plus fare.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtobin03, there are some useful threads about driving at half term - best way to plan the journey to avoid the absolutely horrendous traffic jams. If you can book Sunday/Sunday accommodation that would make a big difference. Otherwise, consensus seemed to be to leave as early as possible on Friday, drive all night and get to resort before 8 am on Saturday. If that's not possible, get there really late Saturday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, 100% agree, flexi-pus fare is a complete waste of money. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As I said, it was all new to us this year, and I had loads of Tesco vouchers that were just about to run out of date anyway. I probably wouldn't do it next year. That said, we did seem to jump quite a queue - there seemed quite a few cars with lots of different letters hanging from their mirrors waiting. It would have been quite frustrating to be nearly home but have to wait ages to cross the channel for the last leg. Obviously I've no idea how long we would have had to wait and never will know!

There was also a place just for Flexi-plus passengers that had complimentary food and drink. We didn't bother with that as we just wanted to get home and living in Kent, once we got to Folkestone we were nearly home. I suppose if you had a long journey the other end you may be more inclined to use it. Certainly there were quite a few cars parked outside it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had the same dilema for New year and they aren't released yet, so I used the Easter figures as a comparison.

Factoring in the price of the Tunnel, Toll road charges, diesel, AA euro cover and 2 overnight stops for 4 I decided against it. The reason why I have booked BA flights Gatwick to Grenoble all in price (and I mean all in BA include ski carriage) £430 for 4 add to this £220 for a weeks hire in an Astra size estate = £650.

It didn't seem worth all the hassle, I will still need to drive to Gatwick though Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Worth knowing that the flexi-plus place with complimentary snacks etc IS NOT available if you're an overheight vehicle (more than 1.85m). Many people with people carriers etc with roof box for skis will be higher than that

Again never had a problem getting on shuttle, even when missed by 5 hours.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the help still think flying might be best but driving gives extra slope time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We booked late August I think, cost was around £150 return. Didnt take the flexi-fare thing cos I read somewhere (probably on here) that you get a pretty big window round your booked time. Not sure what would happen if you were late and they were busy though. Worthwhile checking if the Friday before Half term is going to be a Training day in your area - we got a whole days head start and most of the way to Munich this year. I think its a bit of a trade off between driving and flying - its a long drive, especially if the weather is crap but you could get extra time in resort. Flying is supposed to be less hassle and quicker, and you can get some good deals.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
Worth knowing that the flexi-plus place with complimentary snacks etc IS NOT available if you're an overheight vehicle (more than 1.85m). Many people with people carriers etc with roof box for skis will be higher than that .

Anyone with a taller vehicle actually manage to use the lounge?? We used it last year (lower vehicle) and found it very good, but this year we will be over 1.85m. I see no reason why you just can't park in the over-height area and walk across to the lounge. Given the extra cost of a flexiplus ticket, removing this facility seems unreasonable. I've emailed eurotunnel with comments, but I'm not expecting a sensible reply!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As I said last year - above - it defeats me why anyone buys those super expensive flexi tickets. I get mine free with Tesco vouchers and you can still get on any train with space, if you arrive a bit early or late (or indeed change them by weeks if you wish). If the trains are full, you won't get on a different one no matter what you've paid. Am I missing something?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
As I said last year - above - it defeats me why anyone buys those super expensive flexi tickets. I get mine free with Tesco vouchers

We wouldn't pay extra for it, but the travel people we are booking through include it at no extra charge for all their clients.

Quote:
If the trains are full, you won't get on a different one no matter what you've paid. Am I missing something?

With a flexiplus ticket you use a dedicated loading lane, and so *will* get on the next train, even if it is otherwise full, as you load first - before anything else.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

With a flexiplus ticket you use a dedicated loading lane, and so *will* get on the next train, even if it is otherwise full, as you load first - before anything else.

sounds a bit odd - surely they can't guarantee that. If I had booked a train at 1820 and found I couldn't get on it because the Flexiplus people who'd missed their earlier booking had already gone on, I'd be more than a bit miffed. So far I have never failed to get on either the train I booked, or the next departure after I get to the port, though I don't travel on peak days. If the travel operator is offering the FlexiPlus it must be quite a high class deal - it's usually more than twice the price.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, nor me, and I have usually got on an earlier crossing. The exception was when we needed to return home 6 days early in JAnuary Sad . I called them, and asked to move the booking, the answer was ' no problem' except they couldn't give me one until two days after I needed to travel. I had to negotiate with my insurers to pay the cost of booking a SeaFrance ferry at 170€ for the one way trip.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

sounds a bit odd - surely they can't guarantee that. If I had booked a train at 1820 and found I couldn't get on it because the Flexiplus people who'd missed their earlier booking had already gone on, I'd be more than a bit miffed.

I agree it sounds odd but that is how it works! When you check-in, you don't even have to decide then which time you are going to go: you just get an "anytrain" windscreen hanger and go when you feel like it.

Quote:
If the travel operator is offering the FlexiPlus it must be quite a high class deal - it's usually more than twice the price.

Not really high class Blush A quick google shows that quite a few of the self-drive TOs do a free flexiplus upgrade: Erna Low, Crystal, Neilson, Peak Retreats. Indeed, the total price we are paying for accomodation+eurotunnel(inc flexiplus) is less than we'd have paid if we booked the accomodation alone directly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy