Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revolutionary goggles win innovation award

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

New goggles which switch lens tint from dark to light at the touch of a button have won a Popular Science Magazine 'Best of What's New' award. The goggles, designed by Uvex, use dyed liquid crystals that change pattern according to electrical charge.

The technology, developed for the US Air Force, controls the amount of light transmitted through the lens. The liquid crystals are are sandwiched between transparent lenses. When off, the crystals align perpendicular to the lens surface, allowing light to pass through with a soft tint... When on, a charge snaps crystals into a spiral pattern. A button on top of the small six-volt battery case turns the tint on and off. [Note: as kuwait_ian suggests below, hit F5 to see the photo in animation] The product is called the F1 Magic Goggle.

Here's the report from Popular Science Magazine...
...and the news from Uvex Sports.
The technology 'VALiD', developed by AlphaMicron is explained here.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-12-04 9:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yet more gear for the "no idea" lot to buy.......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree maggi, it would seem to be a bit of gimmick.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, I rather like the idea. If I'm out on the hill teaching and the weather changes, I'd much rather push a button than switch goggles.

Perhaps even more important, our ski school (small mountain) discourages instructors from wearing backpacks, so, if this product allows me not to need an alternate pr of goggles (stuffed in my jacket pockets), I will be a happy man.

Obviously, the real questions are: What will they cost, and will they work as advertised. Specificially, liquid xtal displays often slow down and lose contrast as the temperature drops.

Tom / PM
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And if you bang an LCD display hard you soon find out just how liquid the crystals are. What was wrong with simple photochromic lenses? They work fine in cold conditions. As shatter proof as any other lens. No batteries. OK a little slow to react but good enough, IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kuwait_ian, not any photchromes I ever had! Never got dark enough for Colorado.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey I've just noticed the photo is animated. If you hit F5 to refresh, you can watch the changes take place. Quite dramatic darkening. As to cost ~$200.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Easier to see that in a separate window - http://www.uvexsports.com/images/magic_ani.gif
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing Magazine tested a prototype pair of the goggles and report here.

In view of their comments, maybe we snowHeads should test a pair and report a bit more extensively. I get the impression that the product has only been launched in the US so far, and perhaps on a restricted basis. I did a web translation of a German report that suggested the goggles would be launched this coming spring in Europe - maybe with a big splash at the Ispo trade fair in Munich in Feb.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 2-12-04 9:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you attempt to buy on-line it says 'these items are out of stock and will be placed on back order'. They don't seem to be the complete answer as there are 3 different basic lens colours designed to cater for bright light (or overcast), flat light and all weather.

BTW some of the reviews in the Popular Science link appear to have been written in klingon wink wink wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Problem is....that switch makes your eyes turn aswell.....it does in the picture anyway! NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
biggles76, I think they'd suit you, especially with that leather helmet of yours. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think you're right! I've been looking for a good way to combine my hobbies...now i have the answer. Not sure how to operate rudder pedals with ski boots though..... Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy