Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to live for powder and ski-touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on taking some time out next winter and would like to spend a few months (or more) in the mountains. I don't mind where the mountains are as long as they regularly have lots of steep powder, living is inexpensive and I may be able to get the odd job out there! I'm also a keen (beginner) ski-tourer so would like the opportunity to develop those skills too.

All of my skiing has been in Europe (including a season in Chamonix) so would quite like to broaden my horizons. Was thinking about Alaska...

All suggestions of where (in the world) to go and any other tips would be very welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler, Fernie, Red Mountain, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Jackson Hole, most places in Utah... Basically, west coast north america Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With the exception of Whistler, the rest are nowhere near any "coast"...

I'm not sure about Whistler being "living is inexpensive".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kicking Horse go to be up there. cheap living in Golden, great resort of kicking horse and lots of slackcountry and great touring beyond that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jackson Hole fulfills the following

Steep, Powder,Cheap Living did I mention Powder?

Not sure about the touring but off piste and posder no b etter place and it is amazingly secluded and is almost like stepping back in time wildlife everywhere and just an amazing LUCKY you keep all us other snowHead informed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all your suggestions. Please keep them coming. I have a couple more questions too!

If I were going to North America for 2 or 3 months, when would be the best time to go out there? (re. weather and snowfall, etc.)
Also, I've heard it's difficult to get legal resort work in North Ameria (as a 30 year old male I think I'm unlikely to get a work visa). Does anyone know if it's easy to get casual work, say in bars?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Criboun,

I went to live in Vancouver for a year aged 30. get a BUNAC visa and you can legally work in Canada for a year.

go for the whole year, summer is just as good!

If its just winter then jan,feb and march would be best for snow etc.

I lived in vancouver and still managed 50 days on snow Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grenoble
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I also love mountain biking so may well stay on... Thanks for the advice.

Is Vancouver much like a large city in the UK as far as finding accommodation and work? Any tips would be welcome.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Criboun,

If you love mtb biking then vancouver is the place. It doesnt get better than the Northshore.....

My wife and I both had jobs, a car and apartment within the first week of arriving.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try Rossland< Red Mountain 5 Kms away and Rossland is a proper (and very charming) town not yet overrun with tourists and therefor has Canadien and not "tourist" prices. Also allows lots of visits to other resorts such as, Whitewater (small but 40 ft of pow a year) 49 Degrees and Schwietzer. Lots of steep off piste (possibly the best tree skiing in the world) and touring. Thats where I would live defo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy