Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the best skis for a confident intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to buy some skis for next season taking advantage of some end of season discounts. I would describe myself as a very confident intermediate after 3 separate weeks this season. I love to make wide fast carving turns on groomed piste but occasionally do a bit of off-piste (this may increase in the future). I have looked at the K2 Recon, am I wide of the mark with these?

Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Armitageblue,

I bought some K2 Recons this year and they were great Very Happy

I have been skiing longer than you but only recenly on carving skis

They do like to be pushed - Im not the heaviest at 72Kg but once got some speed up they are just great - Didnt get the chance to try powder though - go for it
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kwakazx6r wrote:
Armitageblue,

I bought some K2 Recons this year and they were great Very Happy

I have been skiing longer than you but only recenly on carving skis

They do like to be pushed - Im not the heaviest at 72Kg but once got some speed up they are just great - Didnt get the chance to try powder though - go for it

I have done three weeks this winter and twice last after a 10 year break. I think I'll go with the K2s then especially as you intermated that the heavier the better (I'm 14 stone).

Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am 105 kg and 186cm tall I ski on the K2 Recon 181cm's. I have used them both on and off piste in up to thigh deep powder and they are fantastic to ski on. The only thing against them is there is a bit of chatter when skiing on very hard packed piste (Icy Race Piste) at high speed, but this is not there main use anyway. I have been skiing for 16 years and these are my second set of skies that I have bought. Buy the longest you can get as better floatation in powder!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Armitageblue, My husband didn't like the Recons at all. He went for the Volkl RaceTigers, which (for him anyway) are a much better carving ski. I didn't care for the K2 skis that I tried either - just have a bit of a flat feel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
erica2004 wrote:
......I didn't care for the K2 skis that I tried either - just have a bit of a flat feel.

I found the Recon's very damp & boring but I've loads of client's that have 'em & love 'em.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Armitageblue, I had a recons for a few days recently - unremarkable I thought... that was exclusively in hardpack piste though Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everybody for your comments. I guess I need to try a few sets. The girl at the local Ellis Brigham suggested Vokl AC 30s. Any thoughts???
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Armitageblue, Yeah - go for it. I love my Volkls !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liking my Volkl Tigersharks, I have to say.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fast ones

XRC HEADS 1200 or 1400
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll have a look at these Tigersharks...

What are the best Online retailers? Any suggestions?

Cheers snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely try before you buy.

I really can't see any merit in buying a pair of skis based only on the opinion of someone about whose own skiing you know very little: we're all different, and what works for me won't necessarily work for someone else. Recommendations are OK for drawing up a short-list, but you have to ski them to feel them.

If you're really dead set on getting something cheap in an end-of-season sale, then get them in NEXT season's sale, after demo-ing everything in sight during the preceding months.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also look into Dynastar Legend 8000 and Rossignol Bandit B78. For something with a bit more girth, there's the Dynastar Mythic Rider and Rossi Bandit B83.

Definitely try before you buy...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Acacia, I'll definitely try before I buy. Great advice, especially about waiting for next seasons sales and demo-ing lots.

Plectrum and citizenbird thanks for your suggestions, I'll add them to my demo list.

Thanks.....
ski holidays
fischer rx8 brilliant ski
latest report
colw, What is your height and weight, and what length RX8 are you on ? male/female ?
snow report
I've just got back from a recent trip to Arabba and hired both Volkl Titanium Cross Tigers (can't remember exact model - black with red and white writing) in a 168cm length followed by Rossignol Zenith Z9's in a 170cm length a couple of days later. Both of these were in the top range. I also consider myself to be a confident intermediate.

The Volkls were very grippy and easy to turn. Very good on steep icy bits but they were unstable unless on a hard edge and squirrley when going straight downhill. They also made my left foot ache on the outside. Compared to the Rossignols they had a high arch to them when viewed from the side (unsure of technical term here). I presume this could be the reason for the foot ache ?

When I got on the Z9's it was completely different and a whole lot better. They were much more stable at speed, turned nearly as well (with no understeer - driving term) and were much better at handling slush, powder, off piste and normal on piste conditions. They were not quite as grippy on the ice but I preferred that, although I noticed the edges were actually sharper on the Volkls so that may account for this difference. They also seemed a lot quicker.

I'd now like to buy a pair but still would have liked to have hired Fischer AMC 76 or 79's to compare (none of these in the shop at the time), as these are a bit cheaper to buy. Can anyone with experience of the Z9's and the Fischer AMC skis comment on the similarities/differences ?

The relative measurements for these skis are as follows

Rossignol Zenith Z9 Oversize: 126-74-105 Radius = 15m @ 170cm
Fischer AMC 76: 120-76-106 Radius = 16m @ 170cm
Fischer AMC 79: 116-79-104 Radius = 18m @ 170cm

btw, I'm about 75Kg and 6'1"

Thanks
latest report
what about a pair of Scott's - see HERE wink
snow conditions
pokemon,

Just back from 10 days of using my new AMC 76's in the states and love them. Can't compare them to the others you mention but they carved well on piste and could handle the bumps and off piste excursions pretty well considering the width. Stable at speed in a straight line as well. Had a 15" of new powder day and they peformed brilliantly for the width of ski.

No ice to speak of but the edges were still sharpish and the end of the trip and I think they would handle it well. A demo would be best though if you can find some.

I'm 5' 10", 85kg and ski on 170's BTW
snow report
Hunsbury, thanks I think...I was just thinking I should go with the Z9's......

hhhmmm, I think I might be prepared to take a punt on the AMC's if the price was right...I can always sell them if I don't like them !

You are a few inches shorter than me but have 10Kg extra weight, so I'd imagine the 170cm length you use would be good for me as well. I would have gone with this length anyway but it's good to hear of someone who like the ski at the length I was thinking of buying.
snow report
i suspect you'll get either amc cheaper, but if you like the z9 Puzzled
snow report
dan100, yeah. I have no immediate rush as it will be next December before I'm going again...so I'll hold out to see if I can get some Z9's at a good price. They are a bit scare in general though in the UK (at least from doing searches on google).
latest report
I wouldn't recommend Tigersharks for you. But, you cannot, I repeat cannot, go wrong with a pair of Volkls. The AC30s might actually be a good choice to demo - being Volkls you can guarantee that they'll perform on piste, and they've also got a little bit of an all-round bent to them. It might also be worth having a quick blast with X-Wing Furies - I found them adequate on-piste, and they have a little more under the foot to venture into the deeper stuff. They weren't quite stiff enough for my liking, but they may be just the ticket for you.

I don't have any experience of K2 skis, but they always seem to get good comments around here, so they must be doing something right. But whether they're right for you? Quite possibly in the Recon's case.

The key word is, of course, 'demo'. Definitely attempt to try before you buy. If you really want a bargain and don't get the chance to try then you can certainly do worse than asking on here. But if you can, definitely demo. I think Tigersharks are the dog's, but they're too stiff for many. Etc etc. Different people, different skiing, different needs/wants, different opinions (influenced by all of the previous)...
latest report
I've skied a bit this season on a pair of Elan Magfire 12s in 168cm. I think it's a good "do it all" ski: 76mm underfoot with a 16m turn radius it does reasonably well off-piste, and is stiff enough to cope with high speed medium and long radius turns. Needs a bit extra work to do carved short radius turns, but will do these OK if you put the effort in. Bought them last summer (including bindings) for £215 when Elan were shifting a lot of stock - if you can get them for that price I'd say they should be on your shortlist to demo.
ski holidays
Might want to check out Head supershape skiis, especially the Magnums which are very stable and best for heavier skiers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy