Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SIGB Ski Test

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Before starting this review I'm just going to post the stats of the testers involved, not bragging or anything but weight and experience are obviously pretty important to the
feel of each ski! We're also both linked to ski companies but will not be reviewing any of the kit from them to keep things fair.

Paul
wieght; 75kg
height; 5'10''
age; 30
experience; 6 seasons
level; pro bum!

Nina
weight; 48kg
height; 5'1''
age;32
experience; 5 seasons
level; BASI Inst and semi-pro bum!!

We arrived in Saalbach over night to find the conditions similar to where we'd travelled from, the Zillertal valley. Well, lets just say pretty dissapointing and pretty warm!
The last snowfall was so far in the past we'd actually forgotten when and the whole of Austria has been plagued with high temp's and sun for about a month making for hard pistes
and ice followed by slushy and dangerous freeride conditions. Settling down with a cold beer Saturday night the wind was on the increase and sure enough come Sunday when we
should be setting up the high lifts were shut.
Monday morning dawned bright and warm again as we all trudged up for an early start loading up the Schattberg X-Press gondola. Both Nina and I were really buzzing at the
thought of getting on the 08/09 gear from all the compamies present, ski-geek heaven! After setup we put in our first turns, mainly using the terrain either side of the Limberg
Sessellift, giving us a variety of conditions to play with, bullett-proof piste to slushy bumps, a few little rock drops and piste-jibs aswell as re-warmed slush off-piste...
hmm, nice, and testing conditions for anyone! With aching legs and drooping eyes we retired back to the appartment for a few well-earned beers and an awesome meal courtesy of
Andrew and Lloyd to think over our first day. As night decended and the beer supply dwindled the clouds began to gather, the snow began to drop and the excitement began to
rise!
Nursing a fuzzy head we woke Tuesday to a pretty grim mountain, the only upside being most people had decided to stay in bed giving us a nice, uncrowded piste to play with.
Exiting the top gondola station we were greeted by a blast of icy cold wind and trudging through the snow drifts to our tent it seemed a good time to play about with some of
the all-mountain ski's. The area either side of the piste was dust on crust where the snow had frozen overnight and a thin layer of powder had dropped and all we could do was
hope the snowfall would continue. Sure enough it snowed through Wednesday with the cloud clearing as we packed up ready for the park session that evening and Thursday appeared
with blue skies and few clouds. By this time everone was taking advantage of the good conditions, but the off-piste danger was high with snow falling on an icy base so Nina and
I decided to stick to small lines, close to the piste. As the day wore on and Thursday turned to Friday the temperature again began to rise turning the new snow into cut up
mashed potato, crap for us but a good oportunity to see what some of our favorite skis could handle before the slog of packing up and our journey back to Mayrhofen.

ICELANTIC;

Definately for me one of the stand-out brands of the test. Their skis are really eye catching in the flesh with nice painted graphics and a quality, solid construction. I
tested the 173 Shaman with 110mm underfoot and although intimidating to look at due to the 160mm tip it was a really versatile ski. The Shaman comes in 161 (with a turning
radius of 12m!!)/173/184 sizes for next season and has a really fun, go-get-it character! The large shovel really initiates the turn easily and although you can feel the width
on the piste there's no way it feels like a 110mm ski. Easy to turn, good rebound and decent grip on even the hard icy slopes (for a fattie that is!) its one of the most fun
skis you can buy in even the worst and shittiest snow. However for me the 184 really conpletes the range, there is no way anyone is going to sink the large shovel allowing you
to ski it aggressively in even the worst crust and deep powder and the pop out of the turn allowes you to feel confident about initiating your next turn. For both Nina and
myself (she skied the 161) the big mountain ski of the year, and comes really close to being a one quiver ski if you spend most of you time skiing between the pistes. One of
the local UIAGM mountain guides tested the 184 and bought a pair the same day, a 168 Nomad for his wife (also a guide) and the 151 Pilgrim for his daughter!!!

Next comes the Nomad, with a similar waist (although advertised at a 105mm) and comming in with 156/168/181 sizes. This is a much more conventional looking fat ski without the
shark-tip of the Shaman and a mellower sidecut although sporting identical construction. It has a very similar feel to the Shaman and is definately good if you're put off by the
dimensions of its big brother (although I can say absolutely hand on heart that you shouldnt!). Again a very versatile ski, its more than capable of getting down an icy piste
and rails realy hard on morning courdroy. Whereas the 184 Shaman has no real need to go longer I felt with the Nomad the 181 was short for me and was for that reason very
nimble through the trees. Both the Shaman and Nomad would, I believe make an awesome tool for an aspiring pro through to an open-minded advanced skiier.

Down the range comes the Pilgrim sporting a 90mm waist and a good sidecut (I believe the turning radius of the 179cm I skiied was around 18m). Probably the most versatile ski
the range the pilgrim grew on me the more I skiied it. What surprised me about this ski is its edge grip on piste and its light and nimble character. Skiing down a mixed midday
piste (slush and ice) I was able to carve it so hard it spread a grin a mile wide over my face! If you're a park skiier this would make a fantastic pipe and big air ski but is
definately too stiff for butters. One of the nicest and most versatile all-mountain skis out there.

The latest addition to the range comes in the 161/171/181 Da'Nolie, a symetrical park ski measuring 118-88-118. Pinching a lot of the tech comming through in freestyle skis
(symetrical shape and construction, butter zones front and back but stiff under foot) this is a light, fun ski. Designed to be skiied centre mounted it makes spinning pretty
easy whilst staying solid and easy going. Like all the Icelantic skis its very nimble and quick edge-to-edge and dos'nt feel like its as fat as it is. My choice (along with
the Dynastar Big Trouble) for park riding.

K2;

The range is looking super-solid for next season and I very dissapointed I did'nt get to ski as many as I wished. I skiied the 179cm Hellbent (lovely death and hell graphics)
with a regular sidecut but full rocker on the tip and tail and it has opened my eyes to this new tech comming into skiing. 122mm under foot, the Hellbent is one of the most
fun pow skies on test. Surprisingly nimble and friendly it would make an awesome tree ski in Canada/USA (where I was previously btw!) but requires a little adjustment on the
piste, just so ridiculous it makes you giggle! The rocker gives you a genuine surfing feel in pow and the ski gives good feedback underfoot despite its width. Not really a big
mountain ski due to the rocker and lack of grip (no way I'd try an icy traverse on these!) but a wicked storm rider and awesome for BC freestyle. its just a shame the
179 was only available to test as Nina at 5'2'' had to have a go (legend!) and obviously found them long but still loved the rocker concept.

Also only available in a 179 was the ObSETHed. They've incresed it to 105mm under foot and increased the rocker in the tip but it retains a traditional shape in the tail and
centre. Nice graphics and a solid feel sum up this ski, the rocker giving you lots of confidence in schwaggy snow but the conventional shape means its dos'nt ski like a bag
of spuds once you hit the piste, a good compromise if you like the idea of the rocker but want something more versatile than the Hellbent. Reasonable quick from one turn to
another but I felt lacked the feel and feedback of the Icelantic Shaman, the ObSETHed are solid and would suit a charger but did'nt work too well when the going got tough.

LINE;

Wow, awesome looking range for next year! Similar look to Icelantic, ie painted graphics on most of the range by Mr Eric Pollard, and some of the nicest skis on test. Tested
rockered Pollard Pros at 185cm long and 138mm under foot and was surprised at their nimbleness! For me the best rockered ski out there! Good feedback and response in the pow
it just encourages you to have fun and try new things much in the same manner as the Hellbent and Shaman, it unfortunately skis like the Hellbent on piste but is a far more
"individual" looking ski. Soft flexing so very easy, I only skiied these in soft conditions in bad light so cannot comment if you really let them rip but give you a very
confidence inspiring platform once you've dialled into their nature. What I like about the rockered concept is that it allows you to centre mount the bindings without
compromising on its powder ability, an important point for any freestyle skiier and thus also making them ski shorter than they are.

My choice for a more conventional Line is the Sir Francis Bacon comming in at 182cm and about (not sure on this one) 115mm under foot? A soft ski but also well damped it's
stable, light and forgiving. Like Icelantic, Line is one the ball with their flex and the ski rides like something much thinner. Carves it up nicely on
soft groomers, the Bacon struggles a little on the real hard stuff (but then it's not exactly what its made for) and would make a real user friendly BC freestyle ski or
fatter pow biased all-mountain ski.

SALOMON;

Only skiied the 176 Suspect but my experience with this ski really put me off wasting my time with the rest of the brand. It's good to see Salomon trying new concepts and
construction by bringing full wood cores into the range and pushing rocker in their fatter freeride skis but all I can comment on is that for myself and Nina we would'nt
be happy if we spent our hard earned on the Suspect. It has a nice and well-balanced shape but feels rather "dead" in the flex, not giving much snow "feel" in the ski and
with a pretty low level of pop out of the turn and on kickers. This makes any kind of piste jibbing really hard work and did'nt give me much confidence riding switch. This
might give a lower intermediate a sense of security but I believe there are far better skis out there for your money that will help you progress in freeride and park. Hugely
dissapointing as Pat sharples (on their stand) was a true gent and very welcoming and enthusiastic, thanks for your time Pat!

SCOTT;

A real mixed bag from Scott for next year with an exciting new women's range and some new models. Skiied the Pure 93 in a 193cm and 101mm under foot and was very surprised.
The reputation of this ski is being a bit of an animal but I found a lot to like about it (probably helped by spending the day with Herve, the Scott designer!). A very
strong ski that reminded me of my old Movement POWPOW Swallowtails it rewards you the more you put in and is very light and sensitive. It's stiff flex is awesome for gunning
through mixed off-piste conditions but is most definately not for the shy! Saying that if you have some experience and are looking for a strong but conventional ski then this
and the Movement Goliath are one's for the shortlist. Not too nimble through the trees but very good for a 193cm on the piste.

Also in the "OMG it's a beast range" is the new Stunts. Truely a pro's ski it is a 196cm (I'd guess at around 120mm under foot?)fat twin tip that really is a monster. Good
for huge speed through off piste conditions it's a very physical ski that makes the Pure feel like a noodle and only comes alive if you're pushing the sound barrier! Absolute
monster that you'd either love or hate. I loved! However much prefered the feel of the Pure 93's!

Oh dear, now after reading the many good reviews of the Punisher I began to wonder if we were skiing the same ski! I tried the 182cm models and found them soft and easy going
on the piste (if a bit flappy) but took them into some fresh pow with a hard base under and they just came apart. Although with a long nose they floated well at low speed the
soft flex really did'nt stand up well to high speed and the shocks you get through the snow and shuddered badly. Mounted centre they might make someone a nice park ski if you
like 'em soft and if you're looking to make some pow turns for the first time then they would be an OK purchase as they will help you along without being too difficult but to
coin a phrase they're "all fart and no poo-poo!" To round it off, unlike this year, I felt graphically they were pretty poor aswell although this is obviously down to personal
taste.

ATOMIC;

Again dissapointed because I only got to test the Pimp (twin tipped, 99mm, 183cm long) but the range looks a little "flat" this season with not too many models pushing the
right buttons for me. The Pimp was pretty stiff but light and good on the piste for its size, one of the few skis in the Atomic range that looks pretty awesome I felt it was'nt
all that manoeuvreable in the chop and through trees but was OK when it widened and it certainly rode switch really nicely. Hmm really confusing as it did'nt grab me and at
times felt average being not too fast edge-to-edge but really light, maybe one to try again? Then again with so many good skis out there maybe not!

MOVEMENT;

Another wow there! Good looking range made for real skiiers that have most bases covered with a wide range of freeride, freestyle, touring and telemark models all made with a
quality construction. I skiied the Joystick, Gladiator, kamasutra, Thunder and Goliath and for me the Goliath and Kamasutra stood out. The Goliath is available in a 191 with
a similar Goliath Sluff in a 184/174. Its more of a conventional big mountain ski than the rockered models or Icelantic Shaman but is none the worse for it. Although a little
softer than the Scott Pure93's it has a similar character in that it encourages you to charge most conditions but unlike the Pure won't punish you for your mistakes. It comes
in at 108mm under foot but skis thinner and is very manageable on the piste, with a softer tip that surfs up on the pow and chop nicely. Solid and stable this is a real
confidence ski that you should'nt be afrais to go long on.

The kamasutra is a beautiful freestyle ski that can be used all over if you mount it back from centre with a more conventional shape and flex than the symetric models. Easy
to ride switch and relatively stiff it's an awesome freestyle/all mountain crossover in the mould of the Icelantic Pilgrim that will leave you a grin a mile wide! Good edge
grip on the piste with a lively flex makes for awesome pop in the pipe for a heavier/aggressive rider. Amazingly light aswell it's easy to spin and well built, deserves to
sell bucket loads!

Well guys and gals, if youre still with me after that mammoth mail I hope this has maybe given you a taster of the goodies on offer next season. The brands that have stood
out for me this test was Icelantic, Movement and Line all with quality product that has an individual look but pretty awesome to ski on depending on style. I'm sure there
are people out there who will disagree with some of what I have written but the only way to be sure is get out there and have a go yourselves! Just remember that a lot depends
on style, mindset, weight and ability but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that everyone should open their minds to these new, young brands that are emerging because some
of their product is very well constructed and well worth checking out.

DOC

ps If anyone has got any experience of other brands I'm really interested in the feedback and I'm hoping to give Amplid, HSFC, Liberty, Faction etc a test later in the year!
Laters...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't read all those words, sorry. Early apres ski. Nice one doc. Loving that Nina kicked your back bottom on the hellbents. (Reading between the lines and your Facebook comment Wink )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey mate, drink hard! yeah, as you know nina kicks my ass on a regular basis!LOL! you'd love the icelantics. they are fantastic...maybe see ya in VT??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the_doc, wow, made up you liked the skis so much and respect to Nina for doing the 179 hellbents.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey kiwi1,
Thanks for all your hard work during the test. Glad the VIST guy finally showed up!
(And thanks to all the manufacturers' representatives who were up there all hours in all weather.)
As the_doc mentioned, there was certainly a good mix of snow conditions during the week, making for an excellent test.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Bell, no worries was a pleasure to meet you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey kiwi, yeah loved the skis as you know, definately one of the one-to-watch brands out there, and one of the most impressive at the test! as for the rest the VIST skis that finally showed were mighty fine aswell, had a ball on the race-carve VIST2's and the gs/sl models aswell, definately quality! very impressive, dont think ive ever felt so much edge grip on an icy piste before...mind you do ride the fats everywhere!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just bumpety-bump this one as read on the Icelantic ski sale a few were looking for reviews...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy