Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nordica Olympia drive - women's skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been persauded into these by my local ski shop and now I'm having a wobble.

I'm a competent but v. nervous lady skier (had a bad knee injury last Jan. and now ski with an ACL deficient knee) and I've wanted my own skis ever since my hire binding didn't release (hence the knee injury).

I skied at Christmas on some hire skis (not in great shape despite being 'premier' skis) and got on ok though I've still got a lot of confidence building to do.

I'm happy skiing blues and easy reds but tend to panic on anything steep and icy. I've even ventured a little off piste (some easy bumps through the woods). I was skiing with my very aggressive (in ski terms wink ) brother at Christmas and his comment on my skiing was 'great control but too slow!. I'll say, my kids (11 & 8 ) were all over me.

So does anyone have any comments on the above ski? It's not too late to change my mind, they won't be fitting the bindings until Monday.

The other ski in the suggested frame was the Attraxion III by Rossingol.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowlamb, bad luck on the knee injury. Sometimes bindings don't release because they haven't been properly set, especially if they are set too high for you. However, they also sometimes don't release just because of the nature of the fall, and slow falls can be especially difficult. Two visitors to our apartment in the last 12 months had serious knee injuries (one requiring two subsequent bouts of surgery and some weeks on crutches/wheelchair) and both had good skis, with bindings properly set at an excellent local ski shop. Very slow falls, both of them, and both were in ski lessons, when injuries are less common. So very bad luck in both cases, but not bad luck which would have been averted by having their own skis.

I don't know the ski you're looking at, sorry. However, there are probably other people on Snowheads who do, and who are very knowledgeable. They are going to ask what weight you are, and what length the shop are recommending to you. So you might as well tell us now. wink

Do you have your own boots?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pam

I do have my own boots and up to my fall last year I was a confident skier.

I think the binding just failed - it was a fairly fast tumble down the hill, one ski came off the other didn't.

I'm 5'4" and weigh approx 120lbs. The shop are recommending 146 length given the description of my skiing.

I'm worrying that the Nordica's are too stiff - the guy in the shop decided that I feared ice more than I fear turning so suggested a ski very good for edges but needing more welly to turn. Now I'm not so sure and I don't seem to be able to find out much about this model on the internet.

I'll go back to the shop tomorrow and have another long chat with the guys there.

Off topic - I note from your profile that you hail from Chichester. I'm just up the road from you in Havant and sometimes sail in Chichester.

May see you on the water sometime in the summer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowlamb, was your recommendation in Filarinskis? I think they're good in there. Yes, hometown in Emsworth. After this I am going to look at the website for the national tidal facility to see whether our house is likely to flood tonight.... we are currently at 1500m so should be OK (and it's snowing!!) snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.skinet.com/article.jsp?ID=1000038470
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowlamb, The skis I bought this year have really boosted my confidence and skiing. They have excellent edge hold on icy pistes and I've picked up my speed a lot. They're Volkl Attiva Arenas. They're marketed as an 'expert' ski, but they are happy to skid as well as carve. They make excellent short turns. Ditto long turns. I can't recommend them enough.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy