Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A list of resorts that have cross border skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I could be wrong but I think it is rather unique to be able to ski between two countries in Europe.

Thus with the SH help may be we could compile a list of these resorts.

I shall update this first post whenever new information is put forward.

So far I am aware of 2 countries skiing resorts are

(1) La Rosiere (France) with La Thuile (Italy)
(2) Porte du Soleil - Avoriaz (France) with Champry (Switzerland); Chatel (France) with Torgon (Switzerland) or Morgins (Switzerland)
(3) Zermatt (Switzerland) with Cervinia (Italy)
(4) Vallee Blanche (France links with Italy) - may be discounted as it is not as returnable as others
(5) Milky Way or Vialattea - Claviere (Italy) with Montgenevre (France)
(6) Silvretta - Ischgl (Austria) with Samnaun (Switzerland)
(7) Steinplatte (Austria) with Seegatterl (Germany) see http://www.bergfex.com/steinplatte/panorama/
(Cool Oberstdorf (Germany) with Kleinwalsertal (Austria) see http://www.skigermany.com/skiing/oberstdorf/oberstdorf.php

--------------------------------------------------------

3 countries skiing

(1) Arnoldstein/Dreiländereck (between Austria, Italy and Slovenia) not verified by piste map yet! see www.3laendereck.at

--------------------------------------------------------

It is quite an experience to ski from one country to another, have lunch there, see different convention of the piste signs and ski back the first country at the end of the day.

It is a good way to sneak in and out of the linked country without carrying a passport!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 8-03-08 10:50; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the Vallee Blanche is included there are probably a number of other places where it is easy to get lift served off piste between 2 countries.
I've been from Klosters (CH) to Gargellen(Aus) and back.
I believe it is pretty straight forward to ski from Val Frejus to Bardonnechia. Some of the resorts on the Reschenpass look possible as do some around the Zugspitze.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the lift-served pistes in Sweden's most northerly ski resort, Riksgransen in the Arctic Circle, crosses the border into Norway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about a chancer for 3 countries at once?

The lifts at the small Carinthian resort of Dreilaendereck above Arnoldstein rise to a peak where the borders between Austria, Italy and Slovenia meet. Although you can only ski back down a piste on the Austrian side, you can theoretically have your skis in one country and a pole in each of the others. How does that sound?

The website (www.3laendereck.at) proclaims 3 Countries, 3 Languages, 3 Cultures!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar wrote:
as do some around the Zugspitze.

You can take a lift from either Germany or Austria up the Zugspitze, but all the skiing is in Germany. You can't ski from one country to the other.

However, I believe one of the mountains in Oberstdorf, Germany is fully linked with another village in Austria. If I'm not mistaken, there is also another German/Austrian link in the Berchtesgaden region. There are also very tentative plans to link the Fichtelberg ski area in Oberwiesenthal, Germany with Bozi Dar in the Czech Republic. It would be very easy to do, and with the Czech Republic now in the Schengen area, it might happen.

Cool topic, by the way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee wrote:

It is quite an experience to ski from one country to another, have lunch there, see different convention of the piste signs and ski back the first country at the end of the day.

It is a good way to sneak in and out of the linked country without carrying a passport!

I was just wondering about that and what you did if you got half way down a run & came to the border patrol with no passport!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar wrote:
I believe it is pretty straight forward to ski from Val Frejus to Bardonnechia.

Not unless they've open rather more lifts than when I was last in either place. Whilst the gondola in VF does suggest such a connection, realising it may be more difficult: not surprisingly, all the existing ski slopes in Bardonnechia face north - i.e. are south of the town - whilst the slopes towards Val Frejus are to the north of the town, and as they face south are rather less snow-sure.

But yes, I agree cross-border skiing is brilliant - and I do it whenever I can.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garmisch-Partenkirken(Germany) is linked with Lehrmoos and I think with Seefeld (Austria)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly wrote:

I was just wondering .. what you did if you got half way down a run & came to the border patrol with no passport!

Normal recommendation (taken from the Portes du Soleil lift map some years ago) is to ensure that you have some form of identification at all times.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also the Waidring-Steinplatte area in Austria links with lift and piste just over the German border at Winklmoos-Alm above the village of Seegatterl near Reit im Winkl in southern Bavaria.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One can ski between California and Nevada at Heavenly. Does that count?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney,
Quote:
Garmisch-Partenkirken(Germany) is linked with Lehrmoos and I think with Seefeld (Austria)
Well, it can be done from the Zugspitze down to Ehrwald, but it involves some abseiling and the rest is not for the faint of heart Toofy Grin Garmisch is not connected to Seefeld by the way.

What about Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal? The Felhorn-Kanzelwand area. Hardly ever gets a mention from anyone on this forum, but is a really nice, fairly sizeable ski resort spanning Germany and Austria.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee,
Quote:
It is a good way to sneak in and out of the linked country without carrying a passport
Not in Ischgl-Samnaun it isn't. There are some very nasty Austrian customs people at the top of the lift returning from Samnaun (tax free zone). I saw a film on TV recently wherein they did a German guy for wearing an expensive watch that he had recently bought in America (huh? what the f*ck Shocked ). He had evidently not declared it to German customs, so the Austrians did him Puzzled . Made his day that did rolling eyes They also had footage of the customs guys chasing down the slopes after people with a rucksack full of cigs n'booze. Two guesses who was faster rolling eyes
Sometimes an avalanche in the right place wouldn't be all bad...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly,

Just show the ski pass to the border patrol! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Don't think I have ever run into a border patrol.

alex_heney,

My piste map of Garmisch Partenkirchen shows Ehrwald. There is no chairlift from Ehwald to get back to Zugspitse so I suppose one has to do off piste in unidirectional only. Am I right?

My piste map shows no link to Seefeld either.

laundryman,

Quote:
One can ski between California and Nevada at Heavenly. Does that count?

It would if a civil war has broken out in USA! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee,
Quote:
There is no chairlift from Ehwald to get back to Zugspitse so I suppose one has to do off piste in unidirectional only. Am I right?
like I just said, it involves abseiling and strong nerves. Other than that it's a family run Toofy Grin
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

Not even close. They're on the same lift ticket, but you cannot ski between them. It's about a 30 minute train ride to either Lermoos or Seefeld from Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Steilhang wrote:
Well, it can be done from the Zugspitze down to Ehrwald, but it involves some abseiling and the rest is not for the faint of heart Garmisch is not connected to Seefeld by the way.

True. What I meant was there is no way in hell I would ever try to ski down the Austrian side of the Zugspitze. This is what you would be contending with:

This photo is taken from Lermoos. As you can see there is quite a lot of flat land between it and the Zugspitze. The slopes you see are all in Austria. The other side of the mountain is German. As you can see, clearly not linked.

Quote:
What about Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal? The Felhorn-Kanzelwand area. Hardly ever gets a mention from anyone on this forum, but is a really nice, fairly sizable ski resort spanning Germany and Austria.

That's what I meant. I really want to get there for a winter next winter. The new airport (or at least newly widely accessible) in Memmingen should make it a lot easier.
latest report
[nasty Austrian customs people at the top of the lift returning from Samnaun
[/quote]
This is consistent with what happened recently to my son. He was with an instructor from Ischgl on the lift up from Samnaun at the end of the day , and they decided to belt for home on the Ischgl side of the mountain as they got off the lift....which seemed suspiciously fast for the Austrian Mr Plod sitting in his little hut. They were duly stopped and made to empty out rucksacks and pockets, but fortunately didn't have any valuables on them
latest report
ami in berlin, nice picture. The tour from the top brings you out at the right hand side of that pic at Ehrwalderalm. I have not done it, but my crazy Finnish friend Kassu assures me it's not so bad...But then he thinks skiing down the sides of rumbling volcanoes in Kamchatka is normal procedure as well rolling eyes

Quote:
That's what I meant. I really want to get there for a winter next winter.
Do it! OK, I'm a bit biased because my wife comes from there, but it's a nice place, and snow-sure.
snow conditions
Julian T,
Quote:
They were duly stopped and made to empty out rucksacks and pockets, but fortunately didn't have any valuables on them
those Austrian border guards really hate that. Come to think of it one should get a big group of people with really fat rucksacks stuffed full of spare jumpers, socks, survival bags, stuff you really need on the mountain, and all schuss down the mountain together Toofy Grin
ski holidays
luigi,

Quote:
Arnoldstein rise to a peak where the borders between Austria, Italy and Slovenia meet

I could find a piste map from the web link. Is is possible to ski between the three countries and back?

Steilhang,

I thought the red run, called "Duty Free run", from Ischgl to Samnaun was famous in the past only. I couldn't see people now still wanting to buy things in Switzerland/Austria to avoid paying tax. Both places are filled with 4 to 5 star hotels.

I have driven through pass some nice small German Bavarian resorts in the sticks and it wouldn't surprise me that there are some of them linked to Austria.
latest report
saikee, I don't know how much things cost in Samnaun these days, but the last time I was there with my car petrol cost about DM0.50/liter. That's about €0.25/l !!! OK it nearly costs you a full tank of petrol to get up there, but, hey.
To be honest, I hate the place. Each to his own I guess!
ski holidays
I think it's possible to ski to/from Italy from the Austrian resort of Nauders, situated high on the Reschenpass.
snow report
saikee wrote:
Quote:
Arnoldstein rise to a peak where the borders between Austria, Italy and Slovenia meet

I could find a piste map from the web link. Is is possible to ski between the three countries and back?

No, the peak belongs to all the three countries, but as far as I remember, 100% of the skiing is on the Austrian side.
This is the resort I started learning to ski.
Note, do not confuse with another Dreilandereck on the Au/ITA/Swiss border.

Not far from this place, there is a TOP 20 Austrian resort called Nassfeld on the Au/ITA border.
This year they are building a new cabin from the Italian side to the Austrian peak.
It is interesting to order a goulash on both sides. Italians put their usual spices even in the goulash which tastes absolutely different to the Austrian (Hungarian) one.
snow conditions
Saikee wrote:
Quote:

Here is a piste map: www.bergfex.com/dreilaendereck/, mostly drags, I wasn't recommending it, just thought it maybe unique in being able to "ski" 3 countries at once. The Dreilaendereck (3-country-corner) peak marks the meeting point of the 3 countries, the lift serves that peak so presumably ( I've never visited) you can access the 3 near this peak, though the pistes only come down the Austrian face, so you can't get down on piste to a village or even a mountain restaurant in either of the other two countries.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller,

The piste map here shows Nauders is not linked to the Italian side St Valentino by piste. The link is only by bus.
ski holidays
Someone might be able to help me here. I've always said to people, I've never been to Italy proper but I've skied over the border. Now, for the life of me I can't remember where. I know I was with school, and the only 3 places I went with school are Serre Chevalier, Isola 2000 and La Plagne. There was a monastery in the background and a tiny little sign saying France/Italy. We took a photo but now I think I've dreamt it. It was only an expanse of white snow and a tiny wooden sign but I remember it clearly!

Any ideas?

Edited to say: I would have been between 14-16 and now 33 so photo long gone Sad
snow report
AllyK,

Isola 2000 is very close to Italy as it is along the Road D97. You could be looking at the road sign as it is not uncommon the road is closed for winter and forms one of the piste runs. I haven't ski that resort. May be other SH can confirm.

La Plagne is quite close to La Rosiere/La Thuile, about 28 miles to its lowest station, and can be accessed by a car in a day trip. I couldn't remember a monastery there though.

Serre Chevalier is also close to Italy Miky Way, as Italian Claviere is about 11 miles from Briancon. There isn't a monastery there either and you need to be driven to there.
ski holidays
saikee, no, definitely didn't drive there so could have been Isola 2000 as that would have been my 2nd year skiing therefore not in english lavatory position on green runs Wink Bizarre how certain things stick in your mind though, I have a definite recollection of it. Me and 2 friends straddled over the sign boasting how we were in 2 countries at once Smile Maybe we just read the sign wrong and it wasn't really the border at all!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another 2-country experience - Chamonix (France)/Courmayeur (Italy) (stopping for lunch at Maison Vielle on the Courmayeur side - best carbonara I've ever eaten
snow report
vetski,

Are you refering the Vallee Blanche or Monte Bianchi (Italian name)?

I think Chamonix's Vallee Blanche is a special case because one can enter from one country and ski to another country between France and Italy. It is not as returnable as other cross border skiing resorts but the offpiste routes are well recognised ski routes.
latest report
There's a monastery in the San Bernando pass, with a big statue. Can't ski to it though
snow report
Bode Swiller, saikee, I skied Nauders about 35 years ago on school trip, so memory may be a little faded, but I know we did take a bus to the Italian side for a meal one evening but don't recall skiing over there.
But I thought it was possible, since I do recall a discussion on carrying passports on slope. May just have been schoolboy flights of fancy!

However, they too have a Dreilandeeck-stein, Austria/Italy/Switzerland I think? and we walked up there in the summer as part of a charity day (I still have the "completer's medal"). We stood on the stone with the markings on it, so in all three countries simultaneously (big feet covering two countries...). But (again, memory may be hazy), I think it is on the other side of the valley to the majority of the pistes.
latest report
Randomsabreur, yes you can, although it's off-piste, just continue down the col from Piccolo San Bernardo and you'll get to it, you can then follow the road all the way back to La Rosiere, it's downhill all the way. The statue is of St Bernard and his arm points the route to La Thuile, the hospice has been empty for about 20 years since the monks moved to their main hospice on the St Bernard pass between Switzerland and Italy.
ski holidays
Randomsabreur wrote:
There's a monastery in the San Bernando pass, with a big statue. Can't ski to it though
You can on skins. It acts as a ski refuge in winter - you sleep in the 17th century monks' dormatories and get served meals by the modern monks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy