Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which are the best boots to prevent heel lift? Part 2

Poster: A snowHead
AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!! Having compiled my list of questions and set a morning aside next week to go and try on loads of boots I rang Snow and Rock and then The Snowboard Asylum. "I'd like to book a fitting sesion please" "Sorry, we don't book sessions"! they both then went on to say that as it was the end of the season there were few boots left but the est way to get a good fit is to try many types on!

What a cr@p service!!!

TSA also said they have even less boots in my size................ I'm a size 8!!!

Does anyone know any stores around Manchester that have a good stock?

Alternatively, I'm in Verbier next week and could get some there but I can't imagine they'll be cheap.

Rant over, time to get stuck into the firewater!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have to try on lots of boots no matter what, sorry
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, Sorry mate, trying boots on is a daft idea. You'll never buy the boot that actually fits you best until it's correctly fitted. Out of the box it would always feel too tight/small. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SZK - I'm planning an end of season trip on 10th April, so if I don't have any luck in Verbier and the snows good in Chamonix, I might come in and mither you for a bit!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jumping Jack Flash, a shop with loads of boots in a single size left at this time of year may not make it to see next season, if you don't have success this trip then carry on using what you have/renting and start the mission early next season, as SMALLZOOKEEPER says trying on loads of boots is not the way forward
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, try loads on and get the best fit, then get them fitted, no point getting a boot that does not fit well in the first place in the hope that some magic will happen
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a ball ache but you'll just have to try on what's int he stores. Otherwise, just do a bit of deduction from reviews and comments and go for a brand/model that fits your crietria. I know that's not a scientific way of doing things but unfortunately, if you haven't got a good selection nearby, it may be your only option to work from. Costly but hey ho...

If it's any consolation, i bought a set of Burton Motos, liked them for a week and then once worn in, foudn they were shiiite. Got some REide Aspects instead, which are the dogs nads after several long sessions of use at MK. Motos cost £100, Aspects were £100, solde the Motos on ebay for £65 so only lost £35...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, Sorry mate you buy a boot that feels like it fits well and then get it fitted will most often leave with a boot that's too big. A boot that fits well will often feel way too small when you simply try it on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took Mrs Mosha to the "Zoo Du Chamouny" last week because she was also starting to get heel lift in her boots.

The credit card was worried; they could be wrongly sized and we need new boots, the liners could be so packed out we needed new ones. As it turned out a sulky Angus said an off the peg footbed for 45euro should do the trick. And it did.

Take you boots to a fitter and have a word.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, He is a Sulky little Racoon Faced Teenager isn't he. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, in all fairness, he did have an ickle cut on his finger that was proving bothersome.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, I've heard all about it, for hours and hours and hours and hours....................................It's a daily occurance, what did they used to say on 'Blue Peter'? Something about asking an adult if scissors or sharp objects were to be used.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so are you saying you should buy a boot that does not fit in the first place. The point i am making is that boots are all slightly different and some will be a better fit than others and it is worth trying some on. Thin socks and a tightish fit will allow for some expansion when fitted and when wearing snowboard socks but surely you need to try some on first
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so are you saying you should buy a boot that does not fit in the first place.

Doh! Ray, of course you start with a boot that doesn't fit, that way the boot fitter can justify his fee by making loads of adjustments, especially with after sales as the poor billy has to come back and get shells blown, insides ground out, padding fitted here and there. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, That depends if the Bootfitter charges a fee.

rayscoops, No i'm not saying you should buy a boot that doesn't fit in the first place, just that a boot that will fit best may often feel like it doesn't out of the box. The idea being to fit to the narrower part of the foot first and expand/stretch the rest thus giving a longer lasting, better fit. Often the liner, when new makes the boot feel too tight, with moulding and footbeds that same boot can feel too big, it's difficult to say without help and knowledge of specific models and their liners. Too much information for most customer or salesperson. By all means try on as many boots as you can, but in turn it ma stop you buying the best option because it just felt too tight out of the box. I guess the point being, don't buy because it feels too comfortable, it could mean it's too big, too tight is better at this point. Puzzled
latest report
Hi mr Zookeeper. I 've been avidly reading your posts on boots and I'm pleased to see there is some scientific logic to fitting snowboard boots and it's not a case of randomly trying on hundreds of boots.
My girlfriend has just bought some boots for a recent trip to Austria and we got them fitted (or maybe I should say selected) at a local shop which have always been supurb.
We ended up with some cheap burtons (I know, I know!) which I'm sure she'll want to replace once she gets past the beginner stage.
I personnally use 03/04 Malmutes (with the magic heel strap) and they fit almost perfectly and after reading your posts I can really see the benifit of the narrow ankle and stiff shell. Question is they are just a touch short and I can feel a bit too much pressure on the ends of my toes at times, is there any way to customise them to avoid this?
ski holidays
62dave, Do you have a Footbed? Was the liner moulded?
snow report
I did get a foot bed at the time but it turned out the boots were so tight that I ended up taking them out. Liner wasn't molded, didn't know if could be?!
snow report
I think I must be really lucky with my boots in that they were an ebay purchase new. I had never tried 32s on so took a complete chance, but got a complete bargain so took a chance. My experience thereafter fits in with what SZK is saying in that they were pretty tight on the feet until I had them heat molded by a local shop in Colchester for a nominal fee. Now the heals are fab with no heal lift with plenty of room in for toes to avoid them going numb (although I seemed to lose all sensation when having them molded with the compression socks on - all very weird). Now absolutely love the boots and fit. Used them once so far and absolutely fab.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think snowboard boots are comfortable by nature and we are making a bit too much of a fuss with all this fitting business and the idea of getting them stretched in places seems like a lot of hassle. I do appreciate the points you have made though. The main two problems I have had with hire boots has been heel lift and crushed toes. I think that before you buy new boots, if you try on a good selection of boots and try to eliminate heel lift and also make sure your toes are slightly touching the front of the boot in a standing stance but not when in a toe edge stance you can not go too far wrong when they are then heat moulded and squidged to fit. The worsed case is that they may feel a little bit too big but an appropriate pair of socks generally sorts that out. I just feel that getting a good snuggly fitting boot in the first place without heel lift will be fine, and after that good technique and a decent pait of socks will sort out most of the problems. My boots have traditional lacing up system and when I ride from 9 am to 5 pm they are pretty slack at the end of the day and previously I would tighten them a few times, but now I just can not be @rsed bacause my technique can handle it, which is the point I think Snowangel made about technique.

Hire boots are pants though Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops, Ray i find, without meaning any disrespect, that your opening paragraph is what many snowboarders feel. It is for this reason that Snowboard boots do not get fitted correctly in most shops. Although what you may say maybe true, "Snowboard Boots are comfortable by nature. ", we at Footworks see many of people that have problems, and most often, many people who don't think they have a problem until we make adjustments and they see how much of a difference it makes. Your post ignores the fact that the correct boot will need fitting and again feel the best way to buy Snowboard boots is to go and try a lot of different pairs on. You are guided by your own experiences of buying 'X' pairs of Snowboard boots, not spending years with hundreds of Snowboarders having made the mistake of following the process you endorse.

Yes socks are important, we sell socks that are most often thinner than our clients socks to make space in the boots, not buying thick ones to fill up space.

I don't see the logic in avoiding getting Snowboard boots correctly fitted. Perhaps you haven't, i know those that have done, would never buy their boots any other way.
You cannot make too much 'fuss' of fitting any kind of Footwear. Unless of course you are the type who never eats out because your a better cook than most chefs. wink
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I tried on some boots with the advice of the boot fitter/shop owner, some fitted better than others (with the thought in mind that the liners were going to be heat moulded), some were softer than others, I bought my boots, had them heat moulded for 'free' as part of the buying service (went out and played in the snow and they are comfy) - all of this I would recommend everytime when buying boots and if this is what you mean by fitting then we are in agreement. I just can not imagine what can be done to them to make them any better bearing in mind that I bought them becasue they actually fitted in the first place and that I can not be bothered to tighten them to any level of consistency at the beginning of each day or throughout the day, and that my feet swell up when sweaty etc. etc.. Maybe if I was a serious/competition boarder a minor adjustment may give me an edge Confused against others, but, if the boot fits, what is there to do? Maybe if I buy the stiffest boot on the market I may have a different opinion though ....
snow conditions
rayscoops, remember Stab? stiff boots = pain. And in my friends case, the worst set of blisters i have ever seen!

p.s How was Morzine ?
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, Stab should have got them fitted by a boot fitter in the first place wink but that is the point i am making, nice fluffy soft snowboard boots do not need loads of tinkering with Laughing

Morzine - sunshine, sleet, rain, low light, clouds, ice, slush, porridge, powder, puddles, closed lifts, PDS drags - it has everything and even sent me packing with a nasty flu type bug which I am still suffering from. Great town but the Morzine pistes get battered if the temperature rises and are not really worth riding except for Nyon ? but the link to Les Gets is easy and is really just one combined ski area. Avoriaz was great and linked in to the entire PDS to Switzerland etc, Lindarets area was good especially as a link to PDS too. Well worth a trip but stepping out of an apartment in Avoriaz at 1800m and riding to the lifts would be my preference.
snow conditions
rayscoops, Sounds like an interesting week ! I had a flu virus last week, so probably a good job I wasnt away in all that erratic weather.
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, I boarded an entire day in the pouring rain and got soaked through to the skin (I should avoid TK Maxx or rain in the future), it was snowing at 2000m but all the lifts that went there were closed due to zero visibility. I had a good time though and my boarding took a step up to a higher level, so all the variable conditions were great for simply getting better
ski holidays
btw ray, I had my boots fitted by Precision at Val D'Isere a few years back on opening day. They spent ages analysing my feet, asking how I skied, getting me to flex etc etc.

They then told me what boot was right for me, did the shell test to confirm size, job done. So in total I tried one pair of boots on, that I still ski with today.

For me, its important to trust the fitter, trying on multiple pairs wouldn't have helped me at all.

regards,

Greg
latest report
kitenski, Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy