Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Friday

Poster: A snowHead
Me and two little Patches (aged 10 and 13) set out this morning, to see how many different black runs we could ski in a single day. We managed 14, and missed the last lift that would have given us another two, by 2 minutes.

Setting out from Meribel, this was our itinerary, in order:

1. Ecureuil (Meribel)
2. Lac Noir (Les Menuires)
3. Masse (Les Menuires)
4. Dame Blanche (Les Menuires)
5. Rocher Noir (Les Menuires)
6. Léo Lacroix (Les Menuires) (Closed)
7. Etelé (Les Menuires)
8. Pylones (Les Menuires) (Closed)
9. Grande Rossiere (Meribel)
10. Turcs (Courchevel)
11. Suisses (Courchevel)
12. M (Courchevel)
13. Grand Couloir (Courchevel) (Closed)
14. Sanglier (Meribel)

If we hadn't had such a long lunch (I know, we're wimps), we could have done Face and Bosses at Meribel too.

I've obviously left out the non-black runs en route.

The littlest Patch wants to know if this is some kind of Snowheads record, and if not, what is his next target Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well done but do I understand it correctly that you skied three closed runs? The grand Couloir and Leo were closed last week to my disappointment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, we skied three closed runs. I am an irresponable father, but the little'uns will sleep well tonight. Toofy Grin

The only fall was in the car park at the end of the day rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patch, outstanding!! but obviously you are a very bad daddy re closed runs.

How long have the little uns been skiing??

I was astonished when my 6 year old went down the skiercross at Les Arcs without death or serious injury - it is a bit of an act of faith to 'chuck them in and see what happens' - he was fine- I was amazed and relived.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patch, must have been fun. Did you see the discussion about insurance on closed runs - a recent thread? Most of us weren't sure whether our insurance would cover us on closed runs, or not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why are there so many closed runs in the 3V's Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Patch, an awesome feat! Well done all. If it isn't a record for most black runs in a day, it HAS to be for most black runs in a day, under 15 yrs Cool

stewart woodward I suspect it will be Avalanche risk as there've been some good dumps lately snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward, maybe due to the lack of recent snow and the piste patrollers dont take any chances with icy pistes.

Suggestions, not fact or assumptions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
edsilva wrote:
Patch, outstanding!! but obviously you are a very bad daddy re closed runs.

How long have the little uns been skiing??

I was astonished when my 6 year old went down the skiercross at Les Arcs without death or serious injury - it is a bit of an act of faith to 'chuck them in and see what happens' - he was fine- I was amazed and relived.

They have both skied since two years old, and have skied about 25 days so far this season. Today was the first time the youngest had skied the Grand Couloir, and he's very proud of himself!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Patch, must have been fun. Did you see the discussion about insurance on closed runs - a recent thread? Most of us weren't sure whether our insurance would cover us on closed runs, or not.

Excellent fun. With regards insurance, is there any difference between closed pistes and off piste (which they also ski regularly)?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward wrote:
Why are there so many closed runs in the 3V's Puzzled

Poor snow conditions on two of the blacks - rocks and fauna mainly, but OK with care. The third, Grand Couloir, is closed more often than not, but very skiable today, but again, with care (rocks)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flowa, thanks, we will try to break the record when conditions are better. Today, we hadn't planned the itinerary at all, and only decided to do it on the first lift. I think we could do a few more, with careful planning, but that's for another day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
is there any difference between closed pistes and off piste (which they also ski regularly)?

Yes, the consensus seemed to be that there is a difference. Some policies cover off-piste, some only if you are with a guide, some not at all. People who ski off piste presumably know what their policy covers. But to ski a closed piste is inevitably to ski "contrary to local advice", and thus invalidates quite a lot of insurance policies, it seems. As might skiing with a high avalanche risk, even on a policy allowing off-piste. The sad case of the anaesthetist who died off piste in Val D'Isere recently was one of the cases which prompted the discussion; his insurance would not pay to repatriate his body because he was skiing in a place which local guides would not have taken anyone to. Or at least, I think that was the point. No doubt policies vary, but it prompted some heart searching about just how carefully we read the small print...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I missed that thread, but in my experience, insurance companies will always try to avoid paying out. Skiing a closed piste would almost certainly invalidate my insurance. Oh well, like I said, I'm irresponsible wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Patch, irresponsible or adventurous freethinker?
ski holidays
but megaskidaddy for sure
latest report
Patch, You ski a closed run, you risk going to jail.
3 guys in Val D'Isere 2000 season, skied Face when it was closed, needed rescuing, it then avalanched, they went to jail with a big fine.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Runs were closed due to lack of snow rather than avalanche danger, but I take your point.
ski holidays
Patch wrote:
Poor snow conditions on two of the blacks - rocks and fauna mainly, but OK with care.
Shocked

Bears maybe?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy