Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to choose Gore-Tex shell size while the mid layer is a fleece

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My build is on the border line of medium and large. Just receive the North Face Free Thinker yesterday, I got the M.

Without the mid layer, the shell is fine, I mean, I can move my arms rather freely. When I put in a fleece jacket, a Polartec® 200,
I find the shell (Free Thinker) become much tighter. I can still move my arms, but not as comfortable.

I'd like to ask if I should go one step above to L, while that would definitely give me more room than I want. It's awakard. Any idea what I should do? stick with the M or get L?

thanks in advance.
Jeff
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jjyu2000, unless like me you are loosing weight I'd suggest you go for the L, I'm not familiar with that particular shell but most have drawcords that allow you to adjust them to give you a better fit and in my experience it is far better to have too much room than too little
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jjyu2000, one is adding weight Toofy Grin Go for L. Welcome to snowheads.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jjyu2000,

Or had you considered a North Face Triclimate-comes with the shell and a jacket that is designed to zip into the shell if needed-might fit better than separates.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
even if you are going to buy online go into a shop and try them on.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes hobbiteater, is right. You need to try them really. Also the danger with going up to a bigger size normally means the sleeves will be longer as well and very annoying if they are too long and baggy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jjyu2000, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I quite often wear a sleeveless Fleece vest under my shell, solves the problem on being too tight on the arms and doesn't feel particularly cold either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jjyu2000, welcome and please note that Spyderman also wears cardigans, takes slippers, tea bags and beans on holiday and believes that snowboarders are a suitable target alternative to grouse in the Winter season wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf wrote:
jjyu2000, unless like me you are loosing weight I'd suggest you go for the L, I'm not familiar with that particular shell but most have drawcords that allow you to adjust them to give you a better fit and in my experience it is far better to have too much room than too little

man, how can i loose 10 lbs or so? specifically, i need to cut down the waist line..... i like the Free Thinker a lot, just a little tight. The L would be a little too big, should I just put up more weight as suggested another fellow?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jjyu2000, I tried the Free Thinker and found exactely the same issue; when the body size was OK the arms holes and shoulders were tight. The staff at Ellis Brigham in Castleford confirmed that a number of people has made this observation. Seems that the Free Thinker is made for slender types Crying or Very sad

So what to do? Try another brand. I found that Arc'teryx were a much better all round fit for my build. You may find that too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jjyu2000, well if you want to loose the weight, I suggest cutting back slightly on your food/alcohol consumption and increasing your exercise regime wink

Alternatively if you have the spare cash you could always opt for liposuction or a tummy tuck as a quick fix Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
jjyu2000, welcome and please note that Spyderman also wears cardigans, takes slippers, tea bags and beans on holiday and believes that snowboarders are a suitable target alternative to grouse in the Winter season wink

With a target that large,I'd say it was a Turkey shoot. Laughing

I love boarders really, I just couldn't eat a whole one. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf wrote:
jjyu2000, well if you want to loose the weight, I suggest cutting back slightly on your food/alcohol consumption and increasing your exercise regime wink

Alternatively if you have the spare cash you could always opt for liposuction or a tummy tuck as a quick fix Shocked

Instead, I just ordered a SideWinder AR, should receive it by the end of next week. Then I can decide if I would keep Free Thinker or not.

It's more complicated than I expect... thanks for all the thoughts you share with me, thanks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy