Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How are bindings attached to skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, having received my annual bonus today I've just splurged and as threatened in other threads hereabouts, I've ordered my first ever pair of skis Toofy Grin and the bindings are now being fitted... Anyway, it just occurred to me that I've got no idea how the bindings are attached to skis. Are they just screwed/bolted on? Or is it more complex than that?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What skis have you bought?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rossi Zenith Z9
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I i remember correctly, these skis have a mounting plate will rail system. The binding will be slid onto the plate and kept in place by spring locators. Mostly bindings are screwed into place, systems such as yours are designed for; ease of mounting, compatibility and adjustment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ta. Which system is better, if either?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonm, We sell only skis without rails as we often put ski randonnée bindings on them, it also allows our clients the choice of binding depending on their preferences. That said all the ski testing i do tends to be on skis mounted with rails as this enables easy adjustment for different boot lengths. When it comes to bindings i don't care much, as long as they are strong and release/don't release as needed. So to answer, both/neither.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And if you want to change a binding in a ski? and you need to do more holes in the ski, and cover the old ones.
How this can affect the ski???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlTom, Depends on the construction of the ski and how close the holes need to be redrilled. As a rule, if you can fill the hole with that of a similar density there should be little effect on the ski. This can be difficult with, Foam core, monocoque injection skis as the core is soft and the filler plug, when the ski flexes, becomes displaced and compresses the core leaving weak spots and an uneven flex pattern.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlTom wrote:
And if you want to change a binding in a ski? and you need to do more holes in the ski, and cover the old ones.
How this can affect the ski???

As SZK says. It's ok to glue'n'plug the old holes & drill new ones, providing they're not too close to the old locations, however that could mean the binding is not mounted in the ideal fore/aft location. I won't re-mount within 10mm of the old holes, any closer & you'd need a helicoil fixing.

The general rule is '3 strikes & you're out', ie no more than 3 sets of holes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, I played with helicoils once, some reason i never have since.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used some no more nails
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
spyderjon, I played with helicoils once, some reason i never have since.

Me too
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Always find helicoils decide to break up on removing the fastener, sheared of a few bolts in my time because of them. Not on skis I might add though. Good in theory but ...........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonm, We've all forgotten to wish you well with your new skis - I hope you have a great time using them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, thanks! Won't get to try them out on a mountain until April, may have to pay ChillFactore another visit...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy