Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbeds, insoles orthotics - it makes you wonder...

Poster: A snowHead
I read with interest many lively debates about insoles etc in ski boots and it makes me wonder... Puzzled

How many of you folks have splashed out on footbeds/whatever and found them beneficial and ...

Do you have them for your regular everyday life back on the concrete and clay?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MarjMJ, I use them in my boots and find them very useful. I have flat feet which pronate (I don't know if you know the term, but it means that my feet roll in towards each other) - my orthotics make my feet go back to the correct position and support my insteps. I use off-the-shelf ones in ordinary life, because my feet don't suffer the same kind of strain. I even have them in my ballet shoes!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I find them crucial for skiing.

my everyday life doesn't involve clamping my feet into 2 solids bits of plastic for 7 hours a day, and wanting to transmit the slightest of movements through to 180cm planks of wood so I don't use them day to day!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MarjMJ, considering the off-the-shelf ones are less than I would spend for a bottle of wine, and are scheduled to last ~89 days of hard use longer, I hardly consider that splashing out.

EDIT: of course, I don't use the same ones in running shoes.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-03-08 13:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have footbeds (from Profeet) which, after some tweaking, provide a much more comfortable pair of boots in which I at least feel I ski better. If I remember correctly, they support my (pretty high) arches, preventing my feet from pushing down the boot, and help me to get my weight going through the right part of my foot (?). Without them, I have less control of the skis (or feel that I do) and the balls of my feet catch fire periodically. £120 well spent, in my view (no doubt cheaper in all sorts of other places, but there we are; there has to be some downside to living in London). I suspect that if I was fitter and more flexible I might not need them. I don't use them in walking boots or any other footwear (although I know people who move them between skiing and walking boots).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear orthotics in my day to day shoes which were custom made for me by a podiatrist in Portsmouth for my very flat feet. It has been really difficult to find good ski boot orthotics that work well,but after quite a few failed attempts (including making my own) CEM managed to sort me out beautifully last year and I'm now a happy skier
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, not sure if you (and/or) OP meant these off the shelf footbeds (which is what I have), if so then that's some mighty fine wine you're drinking !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my ski boots, golf shoes and everyday shoes but not my going out shoes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith, spookily, I was given a bottle of wine on Saturday which cost exactly the same as those footbeds. I'll let you know what it's like.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith, wintergreen, and not really (didn't even make WS 90 pts)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use either orthaheel or superfeet footbeds in all my footwear. Using these enabled me to go from suffering extreme pain in my feet, and being hardly able to walk, to running a marathon in 3 years. While I can no run marathons due to back injury, I never wear anything on feet without proper support.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobinS, congratulations on running the marathon, 3 years is a bit slow though Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith, With the state I'm in nowadays it would take that long!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MarjMJ,
The footbeds I got in French ski resort about 4 years ago (cost 60 euros or so i think) really improved my skiing - much easier to get the skis to do what I wanted and no more numb toes. At home, I had been suffering similar numb toes in my walking boots so a while ago I transferred the footbeds to my walking boots and found them so much more comfortable. DOn't use them in ordinary shoes/boots - not sure I'd get them in some of my more girly shoes Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I over pronate slightly on my right foot which effectively lengthens the foot, not a problem in the shoes that I kick about in normally but my ski boots fit quite closely so I use off the shelf orthosis in them. I've also got them in my walking boots.
ski holidays
So far I'm managing without footbeds. 2 weeks of skiing in my boots now under my belt and not had the need for them yet.
ski holidays
MarjMJ wrote:
concrete and clay

...and general decay,
nature will still find a way....

Are you a Smiths fan Marj?
snow report
I see we have a few pronators here...what it is to have flat feet...lots of nice interesting comment here too. I must admit I just force my own orthotics into the boots and off you go. Agree with the comments about not wearing them in girly shoes - and am impressed Vetski can get them into ballet shoes!

Red 27 - more a 'beneath my feet begins to crumble...' concrete and clay reference - not sure who that was.

I am however wondering if we have populations of folks who only really get into the insole thing when they get to the ski boot dilemma, that's all. We struggle on in life with achy feet Shocked because it is part of the aging process [speaking personally] and don't bother otherwise.

Well, am off to 3V tomorrow with my trusty FOs.
latest report
MarjMJ wrote:

Red 27 - more a 'beneath my feet begins to crumble...' concrete and clay reference - not sure who that was.

Unit 4+1, IIRC.
latest report
MarjMJ, in my ballet shoes they're very soft, off the shelf from Boots - the kind I have in ski boots would not allow ze pointing of ze feet (which does tend to create ze crossness of ze teacher!)

I've always needed them, but no-one spotted it even when I complained of foot pain (give it up for having a GP for a parent...), which has created all sorts of other problems. Fortunately I have a very nice osteopath who deals with the after-effects! It's never even occurred to me that the NHS could help - might investigate that at some point.
latest report
Quote:

It's never even occurred to me that the NHS could help - might investigate that at some point.

Yes - though you might wait. In my case I found a local private podiatrist who did not charge the earth and modified an off the shelf orthotic to suit me. The sky is of course the limit if one has gnarly feet.... I guess you have found out what I have been thinking in my head - we have niggles and ignore them until it starts interfering with a hideously expensive passtime! [Although I did get into a LOT of trouble when I chose the answer passtime instead of sport for the answer to the question asked of me 'Is skiing a sport or a passtime?' by the increasingly exasperated instructor trying to teach me, but that's another story for another thread].

Quote:

Unit 4+1, IIRC.

Thanks!
latest report
After a serious (non skiing) ankle break/dislocation it overpronates seriously. My footbeds stablise it & my ankle remains pain free until liberated from ski boots at the end of the day. Ideally I'd use them in all shoes, but as has been said before, girly shoes aren't ideal companions for footbeds, so I generally just put up with the aches & pains, though at home I am normally to be found barefoot and I make frequent use of a "wobble board" to further work on natural strength in it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy