Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baby gear advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, off to Alpe D'Huez next weekend. I think we are pretty sorted now, as far as myself, husband and four year old are concerned (apart from the actual packing which is going to be fun due to the obscene amount of stuff we are taking) the only thing is that I feel like I am overlooking things for our 12 month old who will be spending much time in a creche. Basically he has normal gear for daytime and an appropriate outer layer (jacket, trousers, hats, gloves). Any advice? Anything I might not have thought of? I was thinking that sleepsuits etc in the day might be better for comfort and to go underneath bulky snow stuff.

Presumably nappies will be easy to get hold of in resort as we are not planning on packing many.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sunglasses?
We took all the nappies we needed in the ski bag, as we found our kids fitted a very particular make/style, which I don't think you'll be able to get in France.

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

We took our then 11 month old with us a few years back. Normal clothes under her snow suit were fine but she wasn't mobile - a crawling/walking 12 month old might need more flexibility.

Definately yes to sunglasses - Babybanz are good. Baby suncream, Medised.

We took nappies with us (went by car so could take the kitchen sink!) Also needed spare outer layers as 11 month old spent the week throwing up over grandparents while selfish parents hid on the mountain.

Have a great time - Our 11 month old is now almost three and says she is going to progress from her sledge to ski's when we go to Samoens at the weekend snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loobyloo77, we are going to Alpe d'huez over easter with our 2 year old so a baby friendly report back would be great. have a good time. Very Happy Who are you going with? we are with Crystal staying in hotel vallee blanche using their creche facility. We are looking forward to it but like you say the kit list is ever growing. Babyanz are very good when they will keep them on!!! We have a litlte terror who doesn't like hats or gloves so we could have a battle on our hands Toofy Grin Never been to AD but most ski resorts seem to rely on a spar or similar so don't expect much choice re. nappies. we will probably take enough to last the whole week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nappies tend to be expensive in resort! My 17 month old won't wear sun glasses - but little goggles do the job and he loves the way everything changes colour when he puts them on Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
warning warning warning

nappies not so easy if you want a specific size / brand / don't want to pay through the nose.

baby wipes tricky to get if you want unperfumed.

Nappy sacks impossible to find in Val D'Isere when I looked 4 years ago- went out in flipflops to nearby supermarket in v cold weather- ended up looking all over in fear of Mrs Eds wrath (probably guilty about a late return from skiing crime) narrowly escaped without frst bite as no nappy sacks in 2 supermarkets and 2 pharmacies
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
also French baby food is really rubbish in Argentiere 5 years ago unable to find any which weren't Nestle and full of salt / maltodextrin (which is what they use to put the stick in stamps) etc....if you use HIP then take your own.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
that said if you are flying to Geneva the Migros supermarket (follow signs to train station and keep going) has everything- nappies etc (I am fairly sure) and decent baby food (sure) at reasonable but high prices....also has great cheese..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fleece blanket. Favourite cuddly toy. At least one powdered food he really likes. Take nappies (for all the reasons above) with at least 10 more than you think you need for when resort squits hit. We used to pack ours around our skis - like kitenski. Cosytoes/fleece sack thingy for push chair if you are taking it.

Make sure you carry a spare top layer for yourself on the way out and back. I have been hurled on twice and pooed on once in planes/transfers.

All good fun though.. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have taken our 15 month old on 5 ski trips already so here goes.... nappies if you have room as up a mountain are more expensive.

If you still use formula milk then take that as the brands are different in France. Sun cream for delicate skin. Gloves but good luck getting them to stay on Toofy Grin

Take calpol and calprofen. He/she is bound to catch something in the creche. wink

Don't leave him in creche for too long - it is really fun spending time together in the snow!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mouth, feeling fairly jealous Mr. Green that 'little mouth' is so far ahead of pielette in terms of ski trips. Perhaps the couple of months your little one has over pielette means last season wasn't quite so written off as it was for us! Have you tried 'little mouth' on those plastic, tie on skis yet?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Nappy sacks impossible to find in Val D'Isere when I looked 4 years ago- went out in flipflops to nearby supermarket in v cold weather- ended up looking all over in fear of Mrs Eds wrath

Shocked seems a bit drastic. What's wrong with tie-handle plastic bags??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loobyloo77, a buggy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can rent buggies in resort or, if it's snowy, sledgy things with good seating for a baby that age, with straps etc. And/or use a sling carrier of some kind, which will also serve to keep the baby warmer.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
libby, NNo but we have a pair kindly donated to us by Boredsurfin and family. His girls used then and they are very pink and waiting for their first outing. He has been sledging and just enjoying the snow so far. Next week more sledging and then maybe April trip we make progress to the plastic skis.
snow report
Thanks all so much for your replies - I haven't been able to get on here for a while. Bladeski - will definitely report back re Alpe D'Huez.
latest report
pam w, Mrs Ed wanted nappy sacks- I had committed crimes against timely returns from skiing (not a first offence either)- Mrs Ed gets nappy sacks....Mrs Ed was pregnant and irritable......I have a vague idea where the limits are......

re buggies- we used to take ours as it was useful in airports 1. to carry stuff around in 2. for sleeping children- but solutions are 1. take much much less hand luggae and 2. take a good sling......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy