Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski pole length?

Poster: A snowHead
Is the old turn pole upside down, hold under basket and if arms are parallel, length = good sizing method still valid?

After a new pair of poles mail order, current ones are 125cm and fit the above sizing criteria fine. I'm 5ft 10"

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, As far as I know that's often what recommended round here. I think it has a more to do with your body proportions though (body length, leg length etc) than your overall height, as I'm 5'9" not much less than you and yet a 115cm seems OK for me and is what the shop that sold them to me recommended - the dangling them by their basket works for me too. You could just be different proportions in your upper and lower body.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, that method is used still...

I ski with poles 10cm shorter then the method tells me... keeps my weight forward Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
Is the old turn pole upside down, hold under basket and if arms are parallel, length = good sizing method still valid?

After a new pair of poles mail order, current ones are 125cm and fit the above sizing criteria fine. I'm 5ft 10"

Cheers,

Greg

That measuring method is fine in soft snow but what about hardpack? The tip length on my poles is 65mm to the basket so my 125's measure great when inverted like you say but when held right way up & used on hardpack they'll 'grow' by 65mm.

Also are you measuring in street clothes or when booted up & clicked in skis with all that added ride height?

I use 125's which are spot on using the/your usual measuring criteria that you describe & measured in my street clothes. However I've been thinking for a while that they might be a tad long so I've just got a pair of 120's which I'm gonna try in a couple of weeks.

I can see myself wanting something in between or buying adjustables rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 5' 10" and my poles are 123cm.

Funny how we mix imperial and metric.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, Regarding how you measure the height.
Quote:

or when booted up & clicked in skis with all that added ride height?

I've often wondered whether that was part of the equation - depending on the bindings (hark at me Laughing Laughing , but I have been paying more attention to what people have on their feet since being an 'owner' Laughing ) you can stand a lot higher off the ground than in bare feet on the kitchen floor.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
5'6" with 120 as standard and also 115 with powder baskets for mega-days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, They need to be long enough to stab boarders as they go by. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most folks ski with poles too long, 120 should be fine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I ski with poles 10cm shorter then the method tells me... keeps my weight forward

Good idea. I'm going to give that a try. Usually use 125cms, maybe go down to 115cms
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
Most folks ski with poles too long, 120 should be fine.

I'm hopefully just about to splash out on new poles, what do you base this on jbob? I'm kinda leaning towards getting 125cms again.........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 5'6" and have been given 110, 115 and 120 by different instructors/hire shops leaving me totally confused as to what is right for me!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 6'0" and use 125cm
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the sounds of it it could be better to be too short than too long - how about that notion folks?

I've also got a pair of 120cm but haven't tried them yet.

What I do know is this year I held them correctly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just under 6ft and use 115s. Used to have 125s, but find the 115s help keep me forward (also, when your skis are >30cm below the surface of the snow you're skiing in, shorter poles don't drag as much snowHead)
snow conditions
Kitenski, I am same height as you and use 125cm poles. Tried 130, too long. Tried 115 specifically for moguls, realised need to learn moguls tecnique properly first. wink . On piste 115 was way too short for me.
latest report
5 ft 10 and use 123cms - even with carbon you can get your saw out. Same pair for 11 years now.
latest report
stoatsbrother, Is that with 5 new handles and seven new poles Laughing
ski holidays
5'9" here, use 120s. Many's the time I've wondered if 115 would be better, I've got an old pair of Goode carbon poles, maybe I'll try the hacksaw just for the sake of it...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy