Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick question about toll booths and average speeds on Autoroutes.

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, might be a common question, but search brought up too much random stuff.
I'm just doing some background research ready for early hours driving from Dunkirk.
I plan on doing a steady 80mph for fuel economy reasons (ie: legal limit). I might find myself having a bit of a spirt for a while if conditions are good. Is it true that average speeds based on times between booths are measured or is it urban myth?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it is an urban myth
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The increasing number of speed cameras in France are more of a problem
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patch, am I correct in thinking that they are well marked, or did we miss lots in Jan!?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What style do they go for? Gatsos or digital? Hidden or clear.
I've never seen any speed cameras on the autoroutes apart from a few places where they advertise radar.

Maybe France is going to follow the UK into a state of mind where speed and safety become confused. Very many miles of back roads in France though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's a 'Troll Booth'?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, People driving to the slopes without helmets on get stopped Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whats the stance on Radar/Laser Detectors?

Should I leave it at home next week Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomstickland wrote:
I might find myself having a bit of a spirt for a while if conditions are good.

Don't worry old chap, it can happen to anyone. Just take some Wet Wipes and you'll be fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mattbrum, I believe they are banned in France, and confiscation and a fine if you get caught.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mhh, will have to keep a lookout then... Being as though were doing an overnighter i was hoping to also "spirt" along while the Gendarmarie are all asleep!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mattbrum wrote:
i was hoping to also "spirt" along while the Gendarmarie are all asleep!

For heaven's sake!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mattbrum, we arrived on the tunnel around 12 midnight French time, saw no police all the way to Les Arcs Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent Toofy Grin (said out loud in a Mr burns accent)

Can see that extra days skiing happening already!

How long did it take you from the port Phil?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mattbrum, It's a big no no if you get caught with a detector and les Flik know that UK drivers like to fit them. If yours is a discreet fittment with no visible parts you may get away with it. I don't know about average times but I used to average 105/115 on the bike and never had a prob . . . But NEVER speed in the rain or bad visibility, they'll catch you and pound your wallet into dust!
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice guys, ill leave the radar detector at home and use the force!

My brother got caught on the way to meet us at Le Mans last year and got caught at 145mph - 120 Euros, bargain all things considered Twisted Evil
snow report
mattbrum, Did you get the PM?
snow conditions
mattbrum, We were parked up outside out the apartment building in 1800 for 7am, 2 diesel stops, and a 30 minute where the hell are we break!

Had an hours sleep in the car waiting for reception to open, then deposited the car in the car park, and thoroughly enjoyed that extra day of skiing!
ski holidays
Fantastic going Phil!

Thats our plan also - we have the 23:00 crossing from dover next Friday - two drivers straight through into Les Menuires.
snow report
When I was driving back from Les Arcs a few years ago I was... mmm... going quite fast the whole way. On one of the final stretches I went from booth to booth without stopping and going well above the speed limit. As I came out of the next booth there was a junctioning joing the autoroute and as I looked to my right there was a cop car joining the autoroute, and accelerating quickly.

I wasn't up to full speed, so didn't break the limit. The copper sped off at high speed. I thought it was all a bit fishy so kept within the speed limit. And what do you know, two bends later there was the same copper parked on the side of the road pointing a radar gun at me.

Coincidence? Puzzled
ski holidays
tomstickland, The speed cameras are boxes on the side of the road facing towards you. Don't worry about the cameras, you'll never hear anything if you get flashed. Do watch out for the Gemdarmerie though, Blue cars and radar guns. It's on the spot fines from them.
Definately keep to 110 if it's raining or they'll have you. I tend to sit at between 150-160 in the dry, not much point in going any quicker as you'll spend the time you've saved in the petrol stations.
Radar detectors/jammers are illegal in France, the penalties can be pretty harsh.
Watch out in particular about 50k from Calais on your return, it's a favorite spot for the Kojaks with a Kodak.
Don't take Red Bull either.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Don't take Red Bull either.

I thought buying Red Bull in France was a problem, as it had to be bought from a Pharmacy, but not actually possessing it?
snow conditions
philw, Possesion of Red Bull is illegal in France.
Radar detectors are illegal in France.
It is a legal requirement to have chains in your vehicle to drive up to Les arcs
Via Michelin lists all French fixed speed camera locations.
A GB sticker is required in France.
Headlight deflectors are required in France.
A first aid kit is required in France.
A warning triangle is required in France.
........and the Gendarmes really do have a Subaru Imprezza on the Calais stretch of motorway, it is sprayed Gendarme blue but they have left the alloy wheels painted Gold....bless! Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
It is a legal requirement to have chains in your vehicle to drive up to Les arcs
........and the Gendarmes really do have a Subaru Imprezza on the Calais stretch of motorway, it is sprayed Gendarme blue but they have left the alloy wheels painted Gold....bless! Very Happy

Ooops to the RedBull rule then rolling eyes. Complied with everything else though, and really should take the chains out of the boot now I'm back at home!

I believe there was a picture of the Subaru in Fall Line a couple of months ago, when they drove to the Alps in a Kia.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:

Well that's neatly covered winterizing your car for French conditions but if you want to militarize it as well then add a white flag and reversing sensors to that list.
snow report
tomstickland wrote:
Is it true that average speeds based on times between booths are measured or is it urban myth?

Not sure if it calculates the actual average speed, but 4/5 years ago i went skiing to tignes with a mate, who i discovered drives like a maniac. we had a hire car (focus of some sort) and he just went flat out all the way down the A6, when we got to the toll booth thing near lyon, the display flashed up grand vitesse. the person in the booth told him off! so it must calculate something.
latest report
philw, The Subaru is becoming a bit of a legend Toofy Grin
Last trip it was parked up just watching the passing traffic, time before it rolled very slowly through the parking area of a service area we were in, the engine choking at being driven so slowly, the noise when it was opened up to re-join the motorway was a real pleasure to hear Twisted Evil

You can imagine the scene in the paint shop, yeh, spray it all Police Blue ....but please leave the wheels gold Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, Over here it would be stolen Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philw wrote:
mattbrum, I believe they are banned in France, and confiscation and a fine if you get caught.
everything attached to a radar detector gets confiscated
ski holidays
derekski, everything, including the car?
snow report
Quote:

Possesion of Red Bull is illegal in France

Can someone explain exactly what is illegal? Red Bull is a brand name, so I (and our second driver) drink cheaper alternatives to see us through the overnight drive. I doubt that drinks containing caffiene (which is what Red Bull is) are illegal, as it would rule out coffee and tea!
snow report
RobinS, Red Bull is illegal in France and some other countries because it contains a chemical that is illegal in food in those countries . http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/5753.php
ski holidays
That article says: "But France has refused to authorise its sale". The report also names Red Bull specifically, so it would seem there is no law against me carrying and drinking identical drinks from other manufacturers - It would also seem unlikely that a gendarme would be interested in reading the ingredients labels on the drink cans in my door pocket!
latest report
RobinS, You argue that out with the gendarme you meet Shocked Seen Papillion Laughing
snow report
Dark dog is available in france as a Red Bull replacement wink
snow report
Mhh Dark Dog - Sounds interesting.....

I think ill stick to some covert importation of Red Bull or maybe relentless - they might not be so clued up on what that is..
latest report
RobinS,
Taurin hormon (from bulls) is what the problem is..Red "Bull" gets its name from it but France does not allow it in the food chain..

I am french, I take red bull over to france on almost every long driving trip I make there (and when you drive an old VW camper to the south of France, trips are loooong!!) and never once di I get into trouble at cutoms for having it (usually is in plain view)..
So sale might be illegal, but I doubt they'll bother wasting time on "possession"..
snow conditions
I tip my hat to Red Bull's marketing people.
ski holidays
The tourine in Red Bull is completely synthetic though!
latest report
I understand that there is an automatic ban over a certain speed (160 k's springs to mind) - can anyone confirm this ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy