Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets, March 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Bit the bullet and despite not quite the best snow (although it looks promising for the next few days) have booked this year's trip to the snow, albeit later than I'd have hoped.

Am staying at Hotel Chamois in Les Gets. Looks pretty good and have got a fair bit of info from the LG website - anything I need to be aware of though from peeps who are famiiar with the village?

Have had a good butchers at the piste map and although the missus feels a full PDS pass is a bit extreme (she's not the world's most confident boarder), for the 30 quid or so extra on top of the standard Les Gets/Morzine pass, I think I'll just get them and at least we can explore at our leisure rather than visiting the pass office every day if we fancy it. I'm pretty much confident on any run except mogully blacks but she prefers long sweeping blues, or at the 'worst', reds that are really just tricky blues. Anyone got suggestions on some first rate runs that'll be good for us and what time of day to approach them?

Also, any info on getting around the PDS? Have read you can pretty much do it via the lift system (except for a bit of a walk between the lift from Morzine to the one going to Avioraz). Is there anything we should be watching out for? I know it's Easter and all that but will there be serious bottlenecks that are best avoided at certain times?

Really looking forward to this, especially the short transfer from GVA. Also, getting a nice and early (6.15am) flight so might even get time on the slopes when we arrive - happy days!! Smile

Spesh Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-03-08 20:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What date are you going out? I'll be out there next week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
23rd to 30th. Wanted to go earlier but the missus couldn't get the days off. Still, let's hope the snow that's forecast stays good Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Specialman, Try the Tulipe run in the bowl (Ranfolly chair up) first thing in morning - lovely long red, wide too if helps your wife and hopefully clear views of Mont Blanc at the top. There are lots of runs that she will like. One bottleneck is coming back up from the bowl mid to late afternoon at the Nauchets Express chair Sad
Also avoid coming up on Chavannes Express at around 2pm as this is when afternoon ESF groups go up.

oh and Mont Chery wink, may have to come back down on bubble but don't let that put you off, it's great up there and much quieter
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman, you'll be fine.

There's a little train thing between the bottom of Pleney and Super Morzine. Alternatively you can walk in a about 5 minutes. Though it'll take more if MrsSpecialman is in a shopping mood Wink

From Super Morzine it's a gentle 20 minutes to Avoriaz village or the Linderats bowl - from which the world is your lobster. The runs across are very gentle.

Given the runs that MrsSpecialman enjoys then you really can't go wrong in Les Gets / Morzine. The bowl has lots of lovely runs into it and is a good place to head for on the first day. Lyottys (top of the Nauchetts lift) is a great place for a first lunch. (+33 4 50 34 92 09).

Chez Nannon, just above the tree line under the Troncs lift is also well worth searching out, but you must book - +33 4 50 79 21 15 - they do two services 12 and 2.

Mont Chery is also a great place with lots of cruisy reds. But don't be tempted to take MrsSpecialman on the blacks there. They're not kind. The very, very best thing about Mont Chery is the Grande Ourses at the very top of the hill. Go there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou, just looking at the psite map PDF. Tulip run looks nice, plus it takes you down to what looks like a main junction to get other lifts.

Will try to avoid said ESF pupils - always a bad place to be when you want to razz around Smile Getting the bubble back down from Mt. Chery isn't a prob - have heard it excellent up there, a bit of a 'secret' place to go.

Looks like tere are quite a few runs off La Rosta too. Take it that it's a bit of a trek across town if you find yourself at the bottom of the Melezes run though?

Is it my eyes of are there some seriously long chairlifts? Chavennes looks like a beasty?

The Arbis run from Chamossierre look nice going down into Morzine. Is that section heavy with trees? Looks like it on the map but you never can tell with these drawings? haven't done any tree boarding - take it that's classed as off-piste?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, shopping - jeez, forgot about that!! Smile Better hide the old plastic....

The whole places looks really nicely spread out. Have only been to La Plagne in the past and although that's spread out, sometimes I felt that we were either in the back of beyond or right in the throng - not too much middle ground there. I think it would be rude not to head from Morzine to Avioraz and if it's a gentle board down there from the top of the lift, then how can we refuse?... Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, at bottom of Melezes you can get chair or a very smooth long poma back up, no worries

Another (!) nice eaterie is the Ros'taz (?sp sorry should know have been there often enough) at top Rosta, nice views. Lots of good mountain food in Les Gets.

Arbis is challenging red (for me anyway) but loved it and heading there again on Saturday Very Happy . At the bottom you can have a hot choc at les Blanchots before winding down pretty tree lined and easy blue to the next lifts. If your other half would prefer to avoid red, then Choucas from the top is very cruisey and pretty.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 16-03-08 20:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Specialman, yep, shopping is plentiful
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not a photo ID pass is it? Also, I know it may sound a bit daft, but what happens with the skiing over the border thing between France and switzerland? I take it there's not a set of guards with AK47s pointed at you, but what happens if you just happened to get stuck in Switzerland?

Also, is it Swiss francs only at GVE airport? Got loads of Euros left over from last year but can these be spent when we get there?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Specialman,

Geneva Airport was quite happy to take my Euros on Sunday, although at 4E for a small bottle of water a loan might have been more use to fund lunch!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman, GVA will take Euros, but the exchange rate they use is a shocker. Better off getting yourself 50-100 CHF for drinks/coffees and just hanging on to any change for future transits through.

If you're skiing over to Switz, do have your passport just in case you do get stuck. There are little border post huts - I've been over one on a chairlift into Morgins - and they do have the right to demand ID.

Don't know if 6 day passes need photos anymore - a lot of resorts have dumped that rule this year. The resort website will tell you.

Nice places to eat - the place at Rosta, as mentioned above, does superb pizzas, and La Croix Blanche at the top of the red bubble is very good. There's a place on Mont Chery over the back, great food but sometimes lousy service - I forget the name, but it's at the bottom of the black bumps (which you do not have to go down - you can take the red to the side and then cut onto the black bit at the bottom of the bumps - like a normal piste, not bumpy, shouldn't give you or the missus any trouble, just remember to check uphill in case anyone's lost it on the bumps!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Grand Ourse on the front side of Mont Chery is lovely. Ate there just about every day for the past fortnight. Good food, reasonable prices and nice staff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, photos only required for 9 days or more.
Found GVA to be very expensive last week, we had to wait awhile for our flight and drinks were not cheap! vetski's advice re Swiss francs is good. Not the place for any sort of shopping. All v expensive with pushy sales staff.

rob@rar, been skiing past it for a long time and got to try for the first time last weekend. They've done a lovely renovation there. I hope it works out for them once fully operational. I know there have been some issues with the Grande Ourse chair closing now & again (esp after New Year) which would make it difficult.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vetski, as long as you have a valid PDS lift pass then there's no requirement to carry a passport in Switzerland within the designated PDS area. This was one of the founding principles of the PDS - free movement on skis. It was a landmark agreement at the time.

There are a number of border "huts" between France and Switzerland. The funniest example of which is at the top of the Col de Cou - which you can only reach by skinning in the winter. Though seldom manned they do occassionally stick blokes in the huts with sniffer dogs.

If you've ever been stopped at the border on the way to the airport you'll quickly learn that the principle concern of the French is cash being taken across the border, rather than being taxed. The Swiss care about the motorway sticker first and drugs second. A drug smuggler without a motorway sticker would make their day. They probably get a special bonus for "the double" and instant promotion.

It's a little known fact, however, the you're required to carry photo id with you at all times in France. Yes, really. I've been sternly told off for this twice now at the random police road checks they throw up from time to time.
snow report
PhillipStanton, yup, I take your point. I was more trying to address the getting stuck part of Specialman's concern - if e.g. one missed a lift on the way back in the afternoon and was obliged to take a hideously expensive cab ride to the other side, or if one had an accident. The ID on demand thing isn't limited to France, though - it's the same in quite a few countries, though not always exercised with the same zeal! Certainly Austria (moderately zealous), Italy (guaranteed if you're a foreign female with good legs wearing a short skirt) & Spain (if you look like you might be Moroccan), I believe also Switz & Germany. And we may well be heading the same way. Sigh.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy