Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

holiday autos.

Poster: A snowHead
I used holiday autos for a reservation this week....bit of a disaster. Jet2 decided to fly us to Munich instead of Salzburg on sunday but don#t get me started on what a hopeless organization they are!. We thought we would phone holiday autos and see if the reservation could be altered to pick up in munich and what the cost may be....30 mins later she found out but didn#t know if we would get a refund from original so said she would find out, 30 mins later rang back to say that car hire had been cancelled as a no show as 1 hour late!!, phoned company direct who said holiday autos had cancelled it and he had sold it on a walk in and had no more. Now we have no car in munich or salzburg and no phonecalls returned. Munich want 3 times the cost for return to another country so we get the jet2 bus transfer to salzburg leaving 3 hours after landing. Holiday autos now tell us we can have a car at salzburg for another 50 quid so we say ok, we will fight that one out on return. Give them a different credit card....all sorted. Go to buy my lift pass....no chance they have not refunded original money and taken out the full price of the new car twice on two different cards Mad ..no food and no pass.
I know jet2 are pretty useless and expected them to balls it up but is this typical for holiday autos aswell?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ollski, Well it does sound pretty horrendous ... but as a broker as opposed to a car hire company then you can see how it might have been a difficult fix for them ... and much of what happened as you changed your plans in real time could be seen as them having tried to make different things happen .... hence the multiple charges . Doesnt make it right, and awful for you . I hope things improved.

Why did Jet2 fly you to a different airport??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ollski, I've had problems twice with rentals through Holiday Autos and twice they've sorted it out.

Cancelled for being an hour late is outrageous. Given that you've paid, the car hire companies will keep the car all day.

Give 'em hell.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've just been charged an extra day for bringing a car back late to Geneva. The car in question having been returned a good hour before the agreed drop-off time, obviously.

This was Europcar via Holiday Autos. Is our grievance with the provider or the reseller?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, Europcar as it will have been them who have charged you I suspect (????) ... if not all HAs fault .. did you get a receipt ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was charged twice by the hire company at salzburg couple of years back. I rang holiday autos when I noticed the error on my statement some weeks later and they sorted it within a couple of days. wasn't really their fault but they sorted it. i was happy with that and continue to use them. They are the cheapest i can find particularly when you use the Helen Beaumont link in the drop down box above. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre wrote:
paulio, Europcar as it will have been them who have charged you I suspect (????) ... if not all HAs fault .. did you get a receipt ?

For the drop-off, no. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, Alas .. may have been a genuine mistake..... but there are a number of 'Bent' Hire-car employees who abuse their employers 'systems' , this may be what you've been a 'victim of'. They use the cars themselves .. rent them out under 'dubious companies' etc. Hertz in Feltham for example have had a bad reputation over the years for this (edit) alleged behaviour ( go on John sue me !!) ... never the employees' fault of course rolling eyes

Assuming you've been caught like this , its undoubtedly Europcar who have made the call ... but who charged you ?? Confused

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 6-03-08 18:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was the hire company themselves who charged us. We'll protest in writing, see what happens.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rented with AutoEurope through Opodo this week, as it was cheaper than the HA link (which was very unusual). Car was with Hertz, fully winterized,and no extra charges, and a free upgrade. Similarly when we've rented through the HA link and the car was with Alamo.(for which I can't take the credit, someone else posted it originally).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does the insurance cover on Holiday Auto's not worry anyone? I stopped using them after reading the small print and finding out that tyres, windows, sides and top of car are not covered for damage. So basically the chassis is covered and that's about it. I could be wrong and I get a pretty good deal using my corporate discount with Hertz so am not that bothered but it made Holiday Auto's unattractive for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nightshift, do you really want to pay an insurance premium for (all) those things, though? Replacement would be relatively cheap (apart possibly from the 'top' of the car, which sounds a bit odd), so why not insure it yourself instead of letting the hire co. and/or the insurance co. make a few bob out of it?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
how do you insure it yourself?
My view/ comparison is based on paying for the same level of insurance that I get all included when I rent direct with Hertz etc... to how much it costs me to "top-up" the insurance with Holiday Auto's. Plus, when I'm on holiday, I'd rather not have to go and sort out a crack to the windscreen or a broken hub cap - if it's insured, I can return it to the hire car company and they can sort it out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nightshift, I meant that you bear the risk yourself. Since insurance cos are there to make a profit, in the long run you should save money by insuring things yourself (you could be unlucky of course). That's not an option where insurance is a legal requirement or when the £££ involved is large (such as your house or third party liability), but for small things it makes sense to me. For example, I try to limit holiday insurance to medical expenses and that sort of thing; I can bear the loss of my kit (albeit unwillingly). It's usually impossible, of course; if you want the necessary medical cover, you have to have the unecessary (for me) other stuff. The same with cars; 3rd party only cover is difficult to find for vehicles of any significant value, but I have been able to find it in the past.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, ah right, I see what you mean and it does make sense. I'm a fairly risk averse (sp?) person when it comes to insurance, investments etc.. and for me it's the hassle factor more than anything. However, on that thought - making an insurance claim isn't exactly hassle free!
ski holidays
Can someone direct me to the HA link, please? We usually use them and find them very good. I haven't seen what nightshift spotted in the miniscule print (probably because I haven't looked!), but the few problems we've had have been dealt with OK. We got a puncture in a tyre a year or 2 ago, at 9pm the night before we were flying home, so no time to do anything about it. They did charge us, as I'd have expected, but it wasn't heinous. We also got driven into one time, & the side of the car was dented - the car was parked, we weren't in it, and there was no way to identify the culprit - so we drew some pictures on the form, described what had happened, and never had any hassle. Will read the small print when we hire again this summer, though.
snow report
nightshift, I think it is fairly unusual for these items to be actually covered with any car hire company (althoughImaybe wrong) as HA only acts as an agent not a hirer so the T&C's you receive will be those of the car hire company.
vetski, link is http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount
ski holidays
Quote:
Please note: In common with most car hire suppliers the insurance coverage does not cover damage to windows, wheels, tyres, the roof, underside & interior of the vehicle, towing charges or damage caused negligently, willfully or recklessly.

Copied from our Auto Europe voucher,hired from Hertz.
snow conditions
I'm slightly surprised that it covers anything for damage caused 'negligently, willfully or recklessly'. I suppose that they don't want to argue the toss about the cause if the thing's a write off.
ski holidays
richmond, I read that as the tyres windows etc... aren't covered in any circumstance and ANY damage at all to any part of the car caused by negligence etc... isn't covered either. I could of course be wrong and I'm not great at reading these types of t&c's to be fair.
When i did use HA I always found it cheap and easy but as I say, being risk averse and slightly stupid when it comes to T&C's, plus having a pretty good deal with Hertz on my corporate discount number I'm happy to give HA a miss and not risk it.
snow conditions
nightshift, check Hertz next time you use them,their contract probably says something very similar,I don't think this is unique to Holiday Autos.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 7-03-08 16:19; edited 2 times in total
latest report
nightshift, you're absolutely right. Silly me.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, oh no - this is going to be the start of me driving myself out there from now on!!!
Thanks for the heads up - will check it before my next hire as it seems silly to spend that bit more on Hertz if I'm getting the same deal anyway!
snow report
We take an annual policy with this lot:

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

Saves a lot compared to the rip off rates the hire companies want to charge.
snow report
nightshift, why I mentioned it is because our latest hire car is from Hertz and the wording I quoted above is on the rental voucher.
snow report
Sorry to hear about your problems Ollski, hope it all gets sorted. Thought I'd let you know about my recent experience and a little Holiday Autos wheeze I've discovered.

Just got back from Canada, used Holiday Autos, pick-up was from Alamo office in Banff, 4 days Standard 4WD using the 15% Virgin One discount link and £10 Quidco cashback, paid £142 including £9 for HA's MAX product which gives you a free tank of fuel, worth £55 (at cheap Canadian fuel prices) in my case as they upgraded me to a full-size Dodge Durango 4.7litre V8 monster (big as a Range Rover and 19 mpg) with a huge 102litre tank, only stuck C$10 in after doing over 700km just because I wasn't sure how far it would go with the fuel light on.

So no problems and very happy with all that free fuel, never driven anything with an engine as big as that before, but made sure I got a final inspection and invoice from Alamo showing 0.00 to pay, just in case.
latest report
We booked a car at Geneva last month through Holiday Autos and paid up front for the "full insurance". When picking the car up at the Alamo desk they said "do you want insurance" to which we naturally replied "we've already paid for it". Oh no they said, you've paid Holiday Autos insurance, not our insurance. So we coughed up again. WTF is the Holiday Autos "insurance" for then?
ski holidays
Yoda, was that the difference between the compulsory basic insurance and the "damage waiver" bit? That always seems to come extra. Haven't hired a car for ages, as we are always coming for too long to hire, these days. The prices seem to have got a lot more expensive.
latest report
 brian
brian
Yoda, the HA insurance would've done you but it is completely separate to that offered by the actual rental car provider (alamo in your case). Basically with an HA booking you have 3 choices:

1. decline HA insurance, decline provider insurance - if you have a bump, you pay excess (typically £500+)
2. take HA insurace, decline provider insurance - if you have a bump you pay excess but claim it back later through HA insurance
3. decline HA, take provider, if you have a bump - nothing to pay
snow report
remember you can also query the double charges with your credit card company and ask them to do a "charge-back" (this means the money gets refunded to you and the credit card co goes after the car hire company for the money).

Quote:

richmond, I read that as the tyres windows etc... aren't covered in any circumstance and ANY damage at all to any part of the car caused by negligence etc... isn't covered either.

btw, nightshift, you are reading those terms correctly.
snow report
Yoda, some of the brokers seem to do their own insurance where you have to cough up the excess to the car hire firm (Budget, Hertz etc) after damage but can then claim that back through their (the broker's) policy. Bit long winded but does seem to be cheaper cover much of the time. Incidentally almost always use HA for hire out of GVA but for my trip next week carhire3000.com came out quite a bit cheaper so have gone with them.
ski holidays
Blimey my typing must be slow ...
latest report
Yoda wrote:
We booked a car at Geneva last month through Holiday Autos and paid up front for the "full insurance". When picking the car up at the Alamo desk they said "do you want insurance" to which we naturally replied "we've already paid for it". Oh no they said, you've paid Holiday Autos insurance, not our insurance. So we coughed up again. WTF is the Holiday Autos "insurance" for then?

Holiday Autos "excess" insurance is a separate product sold by them not the rental car company so you still have to pay the excess to the rental co in event of an accident then claim back from HA. Of course it would be in the consumer's interests for all-in hassle free pricing to be available but then rental cos wouldn't make all their margin in add-ons.
snow report
pam w, I don't know I'm afraid, the homphomps did the car hire bit whilst I took care of the BA Club Europe returns wink
snow conditions
Just tried to price minibus rental through HA link, comes in at £624 for 5 days, almost twice this year! EEEK.
latest report
Yoda, brian, fatbob,

If you hire abroad and/or at home for more than 10 days you are better with personal excess insurance.

EG car hire company 1: Car hire £30/day but excess is £2000 so buy our excess insurance for £10/day

Company 2: Car hire: £35/day insurance £5/day. Still £40/day

My option: Use company 1 but buy excess insurance from questor (who I use but dont work for)
http://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/

I used this to get a great deal from Arnold Clarke for a month hire. Their excess was £5/day. I declinedand got personal cover from questor.
PS there are others. I think questor cover europe but a quick search on moneydsavingexpert forums will sort you out.

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
Used holiday autos when I arranged a group holiday to Ireland 2 years ago. Service at the time was faultless to be honest (but nothing had gone wrong) and we were given cars straight away...

As we had paid the damage waiver thing, we possibly did a thing or two with them that wouldn't normally have been done with a hire car, but at the end of the day we weren't as hard on them as some of the touroids that come up here on holiday Toofy Grin One of the cars bottomed out and slightly tweeked the rear bumper down. Now with teh combined expertise of 4 people who do a lot in motorsport, we got the bumper back to as collected, and thought nothing more of it.

A couple of weeks later, my mates credit card (despite booking it on mine Puzzled ) got dipped for over £600 for refitting the bumper Shocked As we had paid the excess waiver and know what that job would cost we all told my mate to kick up hell. Being highly dyslexic, he phones up and was told firmly that if he didnt write, they wouldnt even open a case. From then on they were rude and bordering on abusive to him.

Fortunately, I know the bank manager well and do a lot of business with them so was able to lean on them a little bit. After a lot of pushing and writing, Mastercard refunded the monies that had been taken fraudulently. Holiday Auto's continued to chase us for a while but eventually sloped into the sunset...
latest report
I can live with that!! Ghost Dog!!
latest report
Ghost Dog what?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy