Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why Snowboard Boots can be difficult to fit.

Poster: A snowHead
Ah i see, mine are comfy, and have been custome fitted i just havent spent much time in them yet . . . that will change in 10 days time Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snobunni, Sad i have to wait another 46 days before i get an opportunity to use mine... hmmm maybe a trip to mk should be on the cards?! have a great trip!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Which snowboard boots for wide feet I have been having too buy half size bigger with way more than 12mm in the heel gap.

Rear foot measures 27.5cm front foot measures 27cm I have always been fitted with 28cm boot.Ran salomon malamute but width problems.

Whole side of foot is like a banana from little toe down too below ankel more so when hot.
Burtons don,t fit so far salomon dialogue/synapse wide 28cm are great on width,then become sloppy.ie feet swim more so on smaller front foot

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 23-05-15 20:26; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What does any one think of the 32 lashed or the 32 Focus and Circuit Boa Boots I like the inner sytem being tied to the inner of the boot to stop heel lift? rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tirol 164 wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Which snowboard boots for wide feet,cause till now been having too buy half size bigger,with way more than 12mm in the heel gap.Rear foot measures 27.5cm,front foot measures 27cm and have always been fitted with 28cm boot.Ran salomon malamutes,but width problems.Whole side of foot is like a banana,from little toe down too below ankel/just in front of heel,more so when hot.
Burtons don,t fit,salomon dialogue/synapse wide 28cm are great on width,then become sloppy,ie feet swim,more so on smaller front foot (27cm foot)
I tryed new 27.5 synapse wide in store and it felt TOO TIGHT.I rode dialogue wide in wellused boot in 27.5 and it was great as no pain but it was packed out and was sloppy.So uncertain?
Now going to try/test northwave decades in 28cm but heel gap in empty shell is more than 12mm.But feels ok in shop,on carpet etc.If these are not wide enough will go back too salomon wides,probably dialogues as prefer softer flex in powder,synapse is bit stiff in trees,nthwave decade may be too.
Givern my foot sizes (27.5/27cm) do you think I can ride a 27.5cm boot,from new in salomon dialogue wide or northwave 27.5 or any other boot brand.These two seem too hold my heel and laces are fast/secure.Regards.

I ride a pair of Northwave Legends - Nice and wide fit and heel grips like glue. As comfy as a pair of slippers! Would recommend Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Ronaldo the frog, Shocked
I am hoping smallzookeeper can help on the problem of sizing.
Its good to hear the legends are working for you they seem to be popular this season.I am thinking about a pair since flex is softer than Nth Wave Decades which will suit me.But I still have to ride my decades.
Did your boots pack out much or were tight/snug in the beginning maybe with a bit of pain/pressure?
Only to feel more comfortable later with more use.Did they give much.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 23-05-15 20:29; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tirol 164 wrote:
Hi Ronaldo the frog, Shocked

A name I once picked at random (relating to a comment someone made that Ronaldo the Brazillian footballer looked like a wide-mouthed-frog) out of frustration that every user name I ever wanted to use was always taken Mad I just use it as default nowadays when I sign up to a forum, saves hassle....although looks a bit odd I concede.

-------

All I can offer is my personal experience with the boots:
I take a size 12 shoe normally, my right foot is really a size 11 but my left is an 11.5/12 depending on the brand of shoe I try. My feet are pretty wide, not massively so, but more than normal I guess.
I got fitted at TSA, tried a veriety of boots in both size 11 and 12 - Vans Wiigs felt horrible, 32s TM2 and Lashed were also very uncomfortable (disapointing as I like the brand), Burton Hails were OK, Salomon F22s felt good and held my heel well in an 11, 12 was way too big.

I tried Northwave Decades and Legends and both felt significantly better than all the rest, plus I really liked the lacing system. I went for the Legends as they were slightly softer flex than the Decades and as I like to mess about in the park too, I thought these would be the better option. I got a size 11 as the 12s were a little on the sloppy side. Once heat-moulded the Legends felt incredible, seriously a pair of fluffy slippers is the best comparison I can make.

I used them in the snowdome (probably about 6 hours in total) and then a week in the 3 valleys and experienced absolutely no foot discomfort whatsoever. If I'm honest the fit, if anything became more comfortable. The boots are actually probably a little wider than I really need (I haven't noticed them becoming significantly wider though), but this doesn't affect their performance - the heel hold is great and I'm really not concious that I'm wearing a big pair of boots. I had previously worn a pair of 05 Burton Motos (size 11) and I always found these crippling, specifically on my shins and big toes, with loads of heel lift. The difference is literally poles apart with the Legends.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HaHa, we're doing Snowboard boots again next winter. Or are we????????????????? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronaldo the frog Shocked
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Which sounds like go smaller with heat fitting .
Then as you ride more it will get better.
Following the zookeepers advice I,ll drop half size to a 27.5cm boot if the shell gap is ok

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 23-05-15 20:32; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
HaHa, we're doing Snowboard boots again next winter. Or are we????????????????? Laughing

Smallzookeeper, if you are about,was hoping you might enlighten me .

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-10-13 23:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tirol 164: I have short, wide feet (practically square...). I've always ridden Burton boots, best fit for me by far. Salomons way too narrow (can't even get my feet into Malamutes) although I haven't managed to try the Synapse Wides - definitely keen.

Have been riding Burton Drivers for years. Got some (past season) Ions for this season. Heat-moulded, but still killed my feet for the first 3-4 weeks of the season but since then they've been perfect. And they're snakeskin... Very Happy

32's aren't bad fit, but whenever I try them on they always feel big & clumpy and seem to have weird seams all over the place.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi stevomcd,
First thanks alot for help as Im going too get this sorted one way or another.
I have been reading skiing forums as the snowbrd ones are mostly kids/park stuff and now have booked a boot fitter out side of london.
Also did,nt know boot fitters exsisted outside of racing .
So I will be better off than before since I,m taking new burton serows,which are suppose to be burtons wide freeride/vibram soled boot and northwave decades .Both slightly stiffer boots.
I am sure they will be too long unfortunately one will be wider than other I will have a "go too" pair of old dialogue wides, which my feet swim in but give no pain on pow days.
So I think another purchase probably shorter and sell some that are to big .
It was really good info on the 07/08? BURTON Ions (ie 3 to 4 weeks breakin)I tryed them at ski show and like you say, they hurt after 10 to 15 mins.Do let me know how they hold up,heard burtons dont last long with guys who ride hike.
I see you like a stiff boot and are right about the narrow malamute ( very good boot) .
I rode a pair for years as they were the best of the worst.
Tryed a burton driver on and it seemed too stiff.
Now I like a softer boot for resort tree powder but if boot fitter can baby step me over a two year period ?
I have heard some good things about stainte foy your location,must find out more! As heard about people using swallowtails and long pow runs ie no crowds, sounded quite addictive.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 1-10-13 23:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just done a full season on my Ions, didn't count days this year but must have easily been 80-90 days or more (less a few days on skis). I do a lot of hiking as well. Boots are still in pretty much mint condition, very comfy, good response. I haven't even put the J-bars in, which I was planning to do once they packed-out.

My previous 2 pairs of Burton Driver Xs both had well over 100 days on them and were still good to ride. First set eventually creased at the achilles tendon (usual way for snowboard boots to die if they don't fall apart) but were still stiff and otherwise in good nick. Second set are still very rideable, but seams/sole are starting to give way (they have about 150 days on them).

I did have a set of the original Drivers which fell apart very quickly (50 days or so) but that was about 8 years ago so we'll let them off the hook!

In short, I don't believe the "burton boots pack out" hype!

Sainte Foy is great by the way - very quiet, good snow. Sick terrain in and out of the resort. No swallowtail for me either, but I do have a Burton Supermodel 168... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd, Hi Stevemcd,
Today I visited the bootfitter and found him very willing too listen and help.
I took three pairs of boots all different makes.
As per your boots/ burton comments he noted the liners of burton serows to be of a good type (he was surprised) but as with SZK he knows in gereral the snw brd boot companys arnt as serious as ski boot companys in general for fit.
I have a few aims to follow now a lot of boots too sell too fund some shorter sizes for a start.
Then will work on possibility of footbed .Its not going to happen all at once ,you would have to be in resort with fitter to work faster but its cleared up alot of questions and a few myths.
I liked the fact he suggested having board and bindings available.
The packing out thing I,m not as concerned with as before its down to taking a few weeks pain in a tighter length to begin.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 1-10-13 23:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tirol 164, at the risk of being condemned as a quack (everyone seems to want a "professional packaged personal solution experience" these days.........) have you actually tried to sort the problem yourself? I've watched the thread for a while, with interest, hoping you may have got resolution, but it's not clear you have..........

I would guess from your description that we have similar (problem) feet. Mine too are pretty wide, last time they were measured (I was 12 yo) they were a "G" fitting. My first ski boots were stretched twice ("can't stretch 'em no more mate the shell'll spilt"...........), and all my Addidas Sambas wore out through the leather upper where it spilled over the sole on the outside of my foot..........

So no surprise that NONE of the snowboard boots I've ever tried on come close. Burtons are generally the widest, and therefore normally a good place to start. My current Ions (pre-moldable liner) now offer day long riding comfort while fitting correctly. Couldn't even sit in the lounge for twenty minutes when new without foot numbness.

I stretched them myself, like all previous boots I've bought, and it's a lot easier than you would think, though it does take a little common sense. The most important thing is you can stretch them where it's needed, to suit your foot not some universal last.

How? I got one of those common plastic shoe stretchers with the wind in handle, cut it down/shaped it/reduced the handle length so it would fit inside a boot (I even had to modify the adjustment to get more "stretch" from the ball/taper), and hey presto your own custom boot fitting tool. Simply place in the boot, position, wind handle.......

To get reasonable width I actually have to stretch the shell not just the liner, so a little heat helps (hot air paint stripper works well but go easy). But over three or four nights of stretching, trial fit, re-stretch (they shrink back a bit when the pressure is released) you can actually get them a snug fit. And for the first few (new boot) days take it with you (pop it back in overnight) to allow any minor fitting.

If you want I'll see if I can upload a pic of my "stretcher", but if you buy one you should be able to see what's required. Sounds Heath Robinson, but it works. Well. Just buy a boot that's the correct foot length/heel fit and work from there.

John.

p.s. Being an engineery type I'd originally looked at duplicating the hydraulic stretcher the ski boot fitter used on mine, having most of the components to hand, but the above is a much neater solution, and portable.
snow report
BCjohnny,
That sounds like a great solution to width problems portable as well so can be used in a hotel room great Idea for in resort.
My feet are not so wide as yours, which made boot fitter think outside of the box ie other problems.I have circulation probs as well but he suggested boots were too long front foot the most.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-10-13 23:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
BCjohnny, could you possibly post a picture of your home made stretcher. I need to slightly lengthen my Drivers.

Thanks
Nick
ski holidays
I wouldn't have thought that snowboard boots were problematic. Looking at them, they look very soft and pliable. Ski boots, on the other hand, are a different matter...!
snow report

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 2-07-09 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
jb1970, Well that's why we started the thread, have you read the opening post? Nah, I didn't think so.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, hi have read the thread and am trying to take on board all points made.
Maybe if i had read the post before i bought my boots i would'nt have bought Burton Tribute.
I bought them as i have wide feet and they fit me the best
Anyway i didnt get the inners heat moulded to tailor fit [ begrudged paying a lot for boots in the 1st place and didnt want to pay the extra for the moulding] and have now worn them for 4 weeks [ 24 days ] , is it to late to get them moulded? will they have started to mould to my feet anyway?
ski holidays
norris wrote:
BCjohnny, could you possibly post a picture of your home made stretcher. I need to slightly lengthen my Drivers.

Thanks
Nick

Nick, will only widen, not lengthen. But will post pic anyway, when get chance/find out how.

Cheers, John.
ski holidays
norris,

The one above is how it started out, the lower one modified. Pic bit small (and a bit cr@p), needs re-sizing (please fell free....), but gives you the basics.

Works better than it probably looks. Also good if you a wide-footed-cowboy-boot-wearer wink .

John.
snow conditions
Can anyone tell me something about thirtytwo's "Prospect Boa" boots, please - namely: is the liner heat-mouldable?

Ignoring for a moment whether blindly buying them online was sensible (I know about proper bootfitting, so no lectures please, it was a sortof-informed impulse purchase*), if they need heat-moulding I'll be doing it myself with a hairdryer or a microwave oven or something.

On the other hand I don't know a whole lot about boarding boots, so for all I know you just put your foot in and get on with it.

What should I do when I get them?

*having spent several hours getting my ski boots fitted properly only to end up with - er - ski boots that don't fit properly, I'm less afraid of this sort of purchasing than I once was...
ski holidays
Hi paulio,
I can tell you what little I know as I made alot of mistakes.Someone else may come along to add more.
Some 32,s have intuition liners (good kit) which are best done in ovens.
If you have time/cash colin the bootfitter on here can do all in his store thats the1st best choice.
2nd choice would be a snowboard shop with a proper oven.

3rd choice is shop with a salomon hair dryer type double thingy its not a oven.So I dont know.

4th choice. For do it yourself get on youtube as detailed how to,s on there for additional info.(I wouldnt do the drinking part in this.)This was your Question

5th choice,Just go ride in them.

6th Since you have them wear them for hours around home then decide on above as you will feel your feet problems in them but not under stress from riding.
Then if in resort you can find a oven if need be.This can go all wrong if not right size to begin with.

7th Dont tell me you need to know cause this is for a fridge .

Unrelated to above. Bc jonny if you are about I want too get hold of the stretcher in your picture.Any Ideas for purchase on internet does it have a brand name?.Thanks

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-10-13 0:00; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
7 - fridge at first, but not exclusively no Smile

Thanks for all that. Was planning to wear them round the house to break them in, yeah. I might ask my local friendly ski shop if they wouldn't mind putting them in their over for a fiver or something. Ta.
ski holidays
I've got them Smile

They fit nicely! Length and width are perfect. Zero heel lift as far as I can tell from clumping around at home. Height-wise is a bit 'roomy' though and I can easily see myself over compensating with a too-tight toe strap. Am thinking I'll probably stick a footbed in before I start playing with heat-moulding.

So... I went for a Boa system because I hate fiddling with laces. Hey, I'm a skier, so I'm used to being lazy and not having to fiddle with lengths of string all day long! Possibly related to the above, it seems to tighten the cuff nicely, but the tension is a little uneven lower down. i.e. it's tighter near where the ratchet and coil are. Is there anything clever I can do to even this out a bit? I don't think it's a massive problem, just something I noticed.
snow conditions
paulio, I LOVE my Boa's, but after a few seasons I am going to have to trade them in for a new pair, due to the lead foot constantly coming loose causing cramp and then numbness when its tightened.
I will still will be looking for a pair of Boa's but just with a better internal lacing system this time.
RE: the tight at the top and not so at the bottom, you can manually pull it tight whilst you have some play in the wire but once it starts to tighten you would have to have some sort of hook to pull it. To be honest it normally evens itself out after the 1st run.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tirol 164 wrote:
Unrelated to above,but Bc jonny if you are about, I want too get hold of The stretcher in your picture.Any Ideas for purchase on internet, does it have a brand name?.Thanks

Not sure if you can buy one, mine was "adapted" from that commonly available shoe stretcher that's been around for years.

It took about three hours to make (adapt) and, apart from having a 3/8" UNC die to re-cut the thread (longer), is a pretty straightforward deal, at least for me.

If you needed one I guess I could knock one up (need to get the donor tree first), and forward it on.

I'm not over-egging this when I say that, although it does look a bit Mickey Mouse, it is probably worth its weight in gold, to me anyway. I suffered all your problems, and more. Simply moulding the liners was not an option (I'm not some kind of freak, but do have really wide feet), I have to stretch the shells (outers) too.

My last pair of Burtons, before I made this, were absolutely kn@ckered but there was no way I was going to go through weeks of pain for my feet to mould new boots on the slopes. Now I can pick any boot, knowing, apart from the really narrow ones, I can push them into shape.

PM me if I can be of any help.

John.
snow report
BCjohnny,
that would be great if you could help out I will pm you soon.
As I dont have any tools/workshop for doing it.I went to store and found a size medium stretcher in plastic for £28 .

I saw that it would be a bit of work to modify but will try and get one.I want to do it.

On another note, I reread SZK,s advice a number of times too highlight the important bits on boot fitting.

So thanks SZK.

I too would have been interested to know in general which brand/brands are SZK,s good brand boots .

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 1-10-13 23:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
paulio wrote:
I've got them Smile

...it seems to tighten the cuff nicely, but the tension is a little uneven lower down. i.e. it's tighter near where the ratchet and coil are. Is there anything clever I can do to even this out a bit? I don't think it's a massive problem, just something I noticed.

I've been using Boa's for a few years and someone showed me a trick when I bought them for making them tighten evenly which you might want to try -

Standing up with the boots loose and the Boa locked, bend your knees and lean forward slightly as though you were putting pressure on the toe-edge and wind up the Boa. Once it's tightened up, relax back to normal, then carry on until comfortably tight... Leaning forward takes the slack out of the cuff area so the ratchet doesn't eat all that up first before tightening the foot part.

Hope that makes some sense.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways, I can picture it, and it sounds like it should work. Genius.

Cheers!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy