Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roccaraso Appennines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back this morning from 3 days skiing in Roccaraso in Abruzzo, The Appennines biggest resort. Was warm and fairly slushy on all exposed slopes on Sunday and Monday. Cooler yesterday with some firmer conditions but quiet a few stones appearing on some pistes. My Volkl Karma have a few base holes that I will need to repair. I believe Roccaraso means razor rock! However nearly all runs open but only off piste opportunities were near the top of the mountain. From the reports it will be snowing today for maybe 3 days so conditions are set to improve.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-03-08 23:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Peter

Sorry again for not meeting up, hope the few rocks didnt make it too hard to bare. Look forward to a trip report and your thoughts on how it compares to a more well known resort.

As our time in Italy is drawing to a close looks like I might struggle to get one more trip in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gilberts Fridge, no worries, I'll attempt a report once I upload some photos.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A major dump since Wednesday, check out the video from yesterday on the home page, http://www.roccaraso.net/index.php. I wish I was there now!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Harumph Just been informed by domestic managment that there will be no chance of a day trip until after pay day Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross, went to Roccaraso again on Tuesday. The snow had held up really well from the snow that finished Friday but there was strong winds about so they'd shut the top gondola. Had intermittent snowfall on top of what was there so timed it quite well. There were high temperatures Wednesday and yesterday (when we flew back) but the Maiella looked stunning as we drove to Pescara. 17 degrees when we left the house, that's at 650m. I posted a bit of a report here http://www.abruzzolutely.com/forum/Blah.pl?m-1195157706/s-0/ last time we went. Instead of copy and pasting it just put the link on, hope that's ok. That's it for me now this year but it'd be good if yourself or Gilberts Fridge, can meet with us next winter sometime.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grimsby Ranger, Glad you had a good time, unfortunatley we will be moving back to the UK this summer, job did not turn out as well as I hoped, so wont have a chance to go next season. I am hoping to try and get one last day in Roccarasso around the 1st of April but not sure how the snow will hold up. I am hoping that after the recent falls, the temp will stay low for a while.

Take it from your avtar on the other site you are a follower of the Super Hoops, watched them regularly from 89 to 96 when we were in West London, might even get a game in when we return.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gilberts Fridge, sorry to hear the job didn't turn out ok. Hopefully the temperatures will stay low enough for you to enjoy a last day at Roccaraso.

Yes, for my sins I'm a long suffering Super Hoops fan Smile . Well you managed to watch them for a few of the good years before the demise Sad hopefully you'll return to see us go up next season wink .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Photos from trip from 2nd to 4th March 08

A nice resort, fast lifts, no queues when we were there, Sunday to Tuesday. Popular with the Neopolitans. Snow wasn't great as rather warm, alot of rocks around so would be better with more snow and frozen snow to protect my skis! Good variety of terrain and slopes to suit all levels. One downside was there was no snowpark. Stayed away from resort 10km down the road. Resort fairly big but as it's Italy so wouldn't imagine nightlife would be kicking. Some nice mountian restaurants. Good road access from Rome on autostrada, tolls €10 each way, and then very good road to the resort that's set in a high mountain plateau.

Arrival, Gran Sasso can be seen in the distance

Getting the gear sorted at Monte Pratello

Not everyone brings there car!

Skiing down from the top of Monte Pratello, snow is soft, some small rocks about.

Same run looking up

Looking North, again Gran Sasso is visible in the distance

no off piste here! Notice the trees.

The Valleverde area, There are some steep lift accessible off-piste routes here

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 24-03-08 0:02; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter, Where is that place ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy, Its about 2 hours drive South East of Rome in the Appennine mountains. There are a fair few little resorts scatered around the Abruzzo and Lazio regions. Good fun if you are in the area but you need to watch the snow reports. Rocarasso is the biggest of them all with the best lift infrastructure.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnboy, Gilberts Fridge, has answered your question. I was over in Rome for a conference and it was an add on to go there, the snow wasn't great but the day we flew home it snowed for three days! We stayed in Castel di Sangro about 10km from the lifts, this town may be known to soccer fans as there was a book written about the fortunes of the local soccer team. That book is called 'The miracle of Castel di Sangro' and is about how the town of just 5,000 got there team to Serie B.

Size wise I'd say it's on par with Livigno and there were zero queues for the three days we were there and the lifts are all decent with no slow ones like what you get in many better known resorts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Ross, Forgot to add great pics, pitty about the snow but at least it was blue skies
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Ross, Gilberts Fridge,

Looks like an interesting area.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy, there's a bit more info, pics etc on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=865754&highlight=roccaraso#865754

It's definitely worth going if you're in the area but as mentioned keep an eye on the snow conditions. The area usually has good snowfall each winter (except last Sad ) but the temperature swings can be huge, I guess due to it being further south than the Alps and close to the coast. I've still to try a small resort called Passo Lanciano, mainly due to the fact that you can see the coastline and the Adriatic Sea from the slopes. Not many places in Europe that boast that kind of view. Main Roccaraso website is www.roccaraso.net

Peter Ross, great pics. Just timed it wrong, it's hardly stopped snowing since you left. I can't get over anymore this winter so I'm missing the conditions at the minute too. Thanks for the report appreciated it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy