Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cold/snow

Poster: A snowHead
everyone is always wanting cold and snow for their ski trips.. but surely its better to have cold and snow before your ski trip then sun and no snow on your ski trip.. i can understand the powder monkeys wanting a day of blizzard.. but for the piste people why the fasinaction with it being artic and grim while you are there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not for me thanks - I prefer the pre-trip crap weather and/or snowy nights with sunny days. Pity to let all those deckchairs go to waste Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd rather it snowed all night and was then crystal clear all day... I hate flat light!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CANV CANVINGTON, my ideal is: Clear blue sunny skies from about 8am to lunch. 30 minute blizzard over lunch. Clear blue skies until about 4pm/sunset whichever comes first. Major snowfall from then until around midnight, then a 3 hour gap for the piste bashers to do their work, followed by 5 more hours of major dumpage.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CANV CANVINGTON, agreed here! We had a day of snow and complete whiteout... I certainly preferred the gentle temps and blue skies... for me that is what skiing is all about... my ideal is a whopping dump the week before I arrive then gentle temps, blue skies but cold cold cold at night to remind me i'm not in the UK!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
everyone is always wanting cold and snow for their ski trips.. but surely its better to have cold and snow before your ski trip then sun and no snow on your ski trip.. i can understand the powder monkeys wanting a day of blizzard.. but for the piste people why the fasinaction with it being artic and grim while you are there?

man, you're strange Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, those are dream conditions and what I was lucky enough to experience on my last holiday - had to laugh when my boss was in the same resort the week before and experienced flat light, freezing temps and whiteouts every day. How he stared bitterly at my tan on my return. crossing fingers and toes I get the same this year. Karmically I deserve it I'm sure Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CANV CANVINGTON, Have to agree, get the runs in good shape, then bring on the sun! Actually I'll have some of what Wear The Fox Hat, has ordered please Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Example of the sort of thing I had in mind:

Perfick! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, my ideal is: Clear blue sunny skies from about 8am to lunch. 30 minute blizzard over lunch. Clear blue skies until about 4pm/sunset whichever comes first. Major snowfall from then until around midnight, then a 3 hour gap for the piste bashers to do their work, followed by 5 more hours of major dumpage.

I was going to very rude about this post but then decided that th 5 hours dumpage after the piste bashing is not a bad idea. Death to the mogul.

Good work Fox.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan, why have you stopped!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wowsers ghey piste-skier overload on here. For competent boarders or gheys on skis when are dry conditions ever good??? It should dump constantly all night then all day so that by the time you've done the lap of the mountain and you're back at the top your tracks have been fillled in. Non-stop knee+ deep pow is what we live for, non??? As long as vis is ok i.e. you're at a lowish altitude and in trees.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 5-03-08 23:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, why go low - high altitude and trees is where it's at, unless you're a boarder/ghey.
Low altitude is for losers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Example of the sort of thing I had in mind:

Perfick!

AxsMan, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just the conversation I was having with 'the flying bogee' on the way home from school this afternoon. We're putting in our order now for cold and bright with nightly top ups for the MSB next week.
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
AxsMan, why have you stopped!!

To take the photo Laughing

That was where we were going.

This is where we were coming from:

snow conditions
hd wrote:
It should dump constantly all night then all day so that by the time you've done the lap of the mountain and you're back at the top your tracks have been fillled in. Non-stop knee+ deep pow is what we live for, non??? As long as vis is ok i.e. you're at a lowish altitude and in trees.

Some sense at last. Sun ruins fresh snow by making it heavy in exposed areas. I love having my tracks filled in every run!

A nice compromise is dumpage from about 4pm until 9am next day. 20cm on runs groomed the previous evening is always a good way to warm up before hitting the really fun stuff.

Curiously, the only place this scenario has happened to me reasonably regularly is in Snowbird, Park City and Vail. And Schweitzer this year. There's an even a video for those of you really bored at work wink

http://youtube.com/v/zcs5Hxyjj5A
snow conditions
i'm in the dump all night followed by bluebird camp
you only need your tracks filling in if there are too many people tracking the place out Cool
snow conditions
big dumps and bad? (oxymoronic) snow/weather keeps the fair weather punters off the mountain, give me flat light and snowy conditions every time. Cold = snow, warm = rain - simple choice
snow report
I actually love to ski when it's snowing: there are less people around, powder on the piste and I don't normally look where I'm going anyway.
snow report
gortonator, you are a liar. Snowbird and Park City never have good snow. People should avoid Utah at all costs. Everything is far more expensive than France, the snow is terrible, it's a complete waste of time for anyone from the UK to go to. (particularly when I'm there)... Laughing
latest report
i should say dump followed by sun is ideal
storm skiing is also fun but you generally can't go as fast or do quite such interesting terrain as you can when you can see where you are going

now when don't i like skiing.... when it's actually raining hard and maybe when you have flat light and high wind but no snow falling?
snow conditions
I enjoy skiing in the snow if there are some trees but it can get a bit bleak above the tree line in a storm. I am also a shoite powder skier but I always wish for the stuff, must be a masochist wanting to fall over yet again. Embarassed
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
gortonator, you are a liar. Snowbird and Park City never have good snow. People should avoid Utah at all costs. Everything is far more expensive than France, the snow is terrible, it's a complete waste of time for anyone from the UK to go to. (particularly when I'm there)... Laughing

Wear The Fox Hat, you are of course right. And mormons are evil, gun-wielding folks who will shoot you if you try to acquire alcohol. wink

The skiing is of course cr@p too, as can be seen from this video .... again only for those who know they never want ski anywhere but France and are terribly bored at work.

http://youtube.com/v/4vumTW1BFks
latest report
I vote for the constant snow, a 3-4 hour clear sky window every morning would be great to get avalanche control done, then bring on the snow !!
I do not like high winds and flat light (often associated with snowing I know)
As to OP, sunny days ruin the snow, and let the punters do more exploring than they should, thus moguls build up in areas that they shouldn't.
I do like the sunny days in spring time, because by then I am over the big mountain stuff and like to have fun ripping around groomers with friends doing pub runs.
snow conditions
carled wrote:
I'd rather it snowed all night and was then crystal clear all day... I hate flat light!
Me too.
snow report
T
gortonator wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Wear The Fox Hat, you are of course right. And mormons are evil, gun-wielding folks who will shoot you if you try to acquire alcohol. wink

The skiing is of course cr@p too, as can be seen from this video .... again only for those who know they never want ski anywhere but France and are terribly bored at work.

http://youtube.com/v/4vumTW1BFks

Indeed the Utah State Government have in fact recently passed a statute that actually forbids anyone from entering the State between October and April, on pain of jail and US jails are of course hideous places that no skier would want to find themselves in. Therefore my advice is that if you've accidently booked a plane ticket to Salt Lake City you either ask for a refund from the airline, or failing that, that you only go to Park City as foreigners are at least tolerated there...

Never, and I repeat never, go to the Cottonwoods as the police run checkpoints at the bottom of the canyons...

This is all true, I swear on my grandmothers life...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy