Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flachau for a nervous skiir?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would like to go to Flachau but my wife is very nervous when skiing. She like to potter around on blue and green runs. How would it be for someone like her? It mostly seems to be red runs on the piste map. We have been to France several times but never Austria. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
casnbs,Flachau has loads of what I would call "blue" skiing. Some of the reds are French blues. The best lift sytem in the world and hugely wide pistes, would be perfect for your wife. All in our party that visited were VERY impressed. Flachau can get busy on weekends and in peak periods. The width of piste and the quality of lifts can really help at these times.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flachau if it is good enough for the Herminator Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds good, unfortunately we have to go at half-term as I work in education so it was good to hear your comment that the lifts can cope in busy times. Some of the places we have been to in France have been a nightmare then. Thanks for replies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
was there last week, was busy - the lifts coped but the pistes didnt i'm afraid.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater, Yes I suppose we were lucky as the snow was in great nick.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
casnbs, I was there with Frosty the Snowman during Fasching week, one of the busiest times in Austria and there's enough lifts to deal with the numbers on the slopes, nothing worth calling a queue at all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The day I visited the lifts although high capacity could not cope with the skiers and there were significant queues unfortunately which left me with a slightly jaundiced view of Flachau, this may have been an aberration. The pistes I would say were ideal although the lower sections were slightly steeper than the gentle upper pistes and probably can get icy as most return runs do, there is always the option of downloading.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
casnbs, have you thought about Easter rather than 1/2 term. It'll be less crowded, and they are good at snow maintenence.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
casnbs, Flachau will be at its busiest at half term. There are loads of places near by just as suitable and probably less crowded - Zachensee absorbs huge numbers very well and links into FlachauWinkl. Or Fageralm is very quiet and good for pottering if you dont mind Tbars - only a couple of days worth of skiing though if you want to do more that potter. Wagrain is also good - but as busy as Flachau that week. Or the mountain where I live - Radstadt, again only a couple of days worth but accessable to loads more mountains. There is loads to choose from - jump on the ski busses and have a look around. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies. We will almost certainly take your advice Flangesax and jump on the busses and have a look around. My main concern was whether the area would be suitable for my wife who is nervous, but it sounds as if it will be fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oooooo not so sure, as the other half of a nervous wife (well girlfriend) I would suggest some of the other nearby resorts are a little more nervy-friendly than Flachau, as suggested above nearby Zauchensee would be a great choice. You could stay in Flachau but ski the first day or two in Zauchensee or even Radstadt/Altenmarkt if you have already booked your holiday.

Flachaus pistes are wide and theres nothing too scary but it can get busy (it was the busiest of all the Austrian resorts I visited last half-term) and some of them do look a little steep on the lifts up, and if your partner is anything like mine then half the problem is looking at the pistes on the lift up!!!

On the positive side all the slopes in that area are quite cuddly compared with the high altitude French resorts, nice wide treelined runs seem a lot more inviting than the barren crags of Tignes and the like. So much so that my previously nervous partner was actually enjoying reds and had the confidence to do a black in Zauchensee (an easy black but a black all the same) by the end of our holiday.

So its not that Flachau is all that bad, it isnt but nearby are great resorts that are probably better suited.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy