Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any views on st anton

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone whos been to st anton say wot they thought of it please, we've booked for 26 feb 05 - cant wait! this is our 5th week of skiing and i've heard most runs can be quite tricky. we're staying at the hotel arlberg.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads, antony snowHead

I've not been to St. Anton but somewhere around here stanton likes it so much he's changed his name! You've been skiing about the same number of weeks as me...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Antony,
My brother is typing this as he spent a couple of weeks there last season. StAnton is great fun with very varied terrain. It can get very busy and hence choppy though. As long as you take care in the busy bits you'll really enjoy it. Can't remember where the Arlberg is but we'll be out there at the same time as you so hopefully we'll bump into you. Then again, maybe that's not a good idea wink
When you're there, check out the Fang bar at the bottom of the Nasserein gondola at Apres Ski time (and beware of the Snowcows!) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of the best resorts anywhere, some fabulous skiing, great bars and restuarants. You've got to stop at the hospice in St Cristoph for lunch. Ski anywhere in St Anton, for just about every piste there's an off-piste itinery. Go to Rendl for sunny skiing. Stop at the Mooserwirt on the way back to the village.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
antony,
The difficulty of St Anton is a bit of a myth whereas there is little really easy stuff for those just of the nursery slopes there is plenty of good solid intermediate blue and red runs. In fact most of the black runs have been abolished and called ski routes.
If you want to find quiet slopes head for Stuben. If you can, head over to Lech and Zurs for a day the skiing here is great as well and generally less crowded. The cheapest way is to head to Rauz on skis and get the free ski bus this usually involves a huge scrum. The more relaxing way is to get the post bus.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For a jolly jaunt (especially if there has been snowfall overnight), get the bus to Zurs to arrive there by 8.30am and get the first life up on the left side of the road (can't remember if it's north or south!). Take the next lift up to the top and then follow the itinerary route round the backside of the mountain to end up on the edge of Lech. You then take an old 2man lift up and ski all over Lech. Early afternoon, get the cable car up to ski back to Zurs and then catch a bus back to resort. It's all relatively easy-going but also good fun with a bit of fluff on it.
Shhh! Don't tell anyone!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"A" is for Albona II.

"D" is for difficulty but it can only be found off trail with a guide.

"K" is for the Kandahar Trail and the Krazy Kangaroo.

"L" is for Lech--where you send the beginners.

"R" is for Rendl.

"S" is for Schindler. you might want to get on his LIST.

"V" is for Valluga.

"Z" is for Zurs (especially the Madloch trail--the one described by Mistermouse).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mistermouse,
If you head straight to Lech from Zurs you miss the Mugengrat I think it's called. One of the best runs in the area a great red run IMHO. Take time to do this before heading over to Lech.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys - cant wait to go! mistermouse, will defin be heading over to lech.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have some specific questions I can fill you in ?

Its one of the Top 4 in Europe.

Personally I would stay away from Chalets run by homegrown companys and book direct to a local B&B , Pension or Guest house .

Decent food can be found in the Hotel restaurants 4* upwards at reasonable prices. Junk food in every other outlet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

stanton likes it so much he's changed his name!

Smile Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We'll be there the week before you.
A really wonderful resort for anyone except beginners. The Lech circuit is worth doing at least once. Take the lift to the very top of the Valluga for the view (you won't be allowed to take your skis to the top on the tiny lift (except with a guide), but look over the back to see the start of the exciting off-piste route to Zurs which avoids the bus)
Lech village is where you will see the parade of fur coats. (As a child I was impressed by the gold-foil wrapped bones of the local saint on view in the church, and the famous people in our hotel (my parents played charades with Robert Graves and his family and I got to talk to Peter Finch, who told me he had just lost out to Richard Burton for a role in a film which wasn't out yet called Cleopatra. But since then the village has doubled in size, which is a shame. It has lost the village atmosphere and become glitzy).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 1-12-04 20:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
St Anton is definitely up there as one of the worlds best resorts. IMHO very few people who have been there would leave it out of a list of their top five favourite resorts. The only thing that it doesn't have is many easy blue runs for second weekers. Other than that the pistes and itineraries are superb, although they aren't particularly keen on making corduroy every night. The off-piste is world class. The apres ski in the KK and Moosewiert is amazing, like nowhere else that I've ever been.

In short, I love it, and will probably get back there again this season. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guys,

I've not been to St anton for 5 years (enforced break due to starting a family, busted bits and the like) and have read that the link to Stuben etc has been improved so that you no longet need to trog all the wat to Valluga to get there (which the wife wont like). Could anyone give me a quick rundown of the changes that have been made (and any others). Many thanks Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Summer of 2003 they took out the old Arlenmähder T Bar . This was a fairly unused lift below the Schindlergratbahn . The replacement for the T-Bar is a Arlenmähderbahn 6-er Sesselbahn (6 seat Chairlift,bubble) which drops you off just above the Ulmerhütte.
This in effect has had good and bad results. If folk do not want to Q for the Schindlerbahn or if it is closed (frequently) due to wind then this will get you to the Valfagehr Piste > Mittelstation - Rauz - Stuben . The other reason was to make it easier for not so advanced skiers to get around the resort as the top of Schindler can be a bit daunting to the uninitiated Very Happy
The Arlenmähder bowl was one of the best lift served off- Piste spots without having to go to Stuben . Very few people used go there as it was a T-bar. Oh well call it progress Confused
On Rendl they also took out Gampberg T-bar & replaced it with an overcapacity (IMHO) Gampbergbahn 6-er Sesselbahn (6 seat Bubble chair).
However, Rendl is where the future growth of this resort will happen , there are plans to link to Kappl over in the SilvrettaTal
There is also a tunnel plan at the top of the Valluga to access down to Zurs. Weather any of this happens will see but dont hold your breath !
snow report
The circuit Lech-Zurs-Lech ,including the Madloch, is known as 'The White Run' - it's great.
ski holidays
Don't forget your hangover tablets Very Happy
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
The circuit Lech-Zurs-Lech ,including the Madloch, is known as 'The White Run' - it's great.

Yes I know, been to St Anton 4 Times. I would re-name "The White Run" the "spend most of the day going fast on flat piste Laughing " Not much Challenge in Lech/Zurs but a good little burn up for a short day.
snow report
stanton wrote:

There is also a tunnel plan at the top of the Valluga to access down to Zurs. Weather any of this happens will see but dont hold your breath !
If they do it I'll really miss the excitement of that steep part from the top, (one could still do it but it would lose its point a bit. And would they continue to run the top lift?). But it would open up a lovely big area to most skiers, as well as cutting out the bus to make a proper circuit (except, perhaps, coming home).
ski holidays
not so well known but opposite the Kangaroo try the Griabli bar - for THE VERY BEST live music. I would agree with T bars earlier comments, there are difficult runs to be found but sufficient nursery and early intermediate runs to keep every one happy - I remember 6 or 7 years ago being told "they don't even bother with grooming in St Anton" its not true in the main, get a piste map or better still morning lessons (learn more, get shown around and find the runs you like all in one go ). I went last season for the first time and frankly can't wait to go back. IMHO better than Val d'isere (incoming snowballs!!!)
snow report
Frosty, no snowballs from me, I agree, in fact the skiing in Les Arcs is better than Val d'Isere.
latest report
Quote:

Not much Challenge in Lech/Zurs but a good little burn up for a short day.

Personally I don't know where this idea arose maybe there is more easy stuff in Lech Zurs, but at the level I ski and suspect the majority though not all snowheads there is plenty of challenge in Lech Zurs for a week without even going to St Anton, rather more than a burn for a short day anyway.
snow report
T Bar, I agree, there's some excellent skiing round Lech.
snow conditions
Stayed at the Arlberg the year before they re routed the railway, our 3rd week skiing and at New Year. So found the resort busy but managed fine on piste and at that stage we weren't in the league for the ski routes/blacks, but the run home to town was a bit scary due to the crowding. We are waiting until we are released from school holiday timings next year to revisit. Arlberg was at that time a bit of a walk from the lifts but they ran a minibus. With the changes to the railway it is probably easier now. Arlberg was the usual comfortable Austrian hotel with excellent food, not as upmarket in it's pool and sauna as some we've stayed at though.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Personally I don't know where this idea arose maybe there is more easy stuff in Lech Zurs, but at the level I ski and suspect the majority though not all snowheads there is plenty of challenge in Lech Zurs for a week without even going to St Anton, rather more than a burn for a short day anyway.

Oh, come on. Most of Lech and Zurs are polished Blues and reds - Like Courchevel. Great for speeding around and looking good. But not difficult.

Couple of nice Off piste runs from lifts Rotschofen / Steinmarher and the black under the Zugerberg lift The rest (on piste) is all on the easier side.
latest report
scooby_simon,
I can't remember what they are all called but there are several good runs from the Kriegerhorn. A couple of variations down from Rufikopf, atleast one from Trittkopf can't remember the others. These are IMO as good as any of the standard runs in St Anton though possibly slightly shorter. They are also usually less crowded and have better snow.
snow report
scooby_simon, Are you sure you were skiing in Lech? Yes there is a higher proportion of blue/reds in Lech than in St.Anton, but there is just as much interesting skiing to be had in Lech as in Anton. Definitely enough to keep a good skier happy for a week. Especially if you are looking for a bit of near off-piste. In recent years I have come to prefer Lech to Anton for the simple reason that there are less crowding problems there than in Anton, and personally I prefer the whole atmosphere of the place.
snow report
scooby_simon wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Oh, come on. Most of Lech and Zurs are polished Blues and reds - Like Courchevel. Great for speeding around and looking good. But not difficult.

Couple of nice Off piste runs from lifts Rotschofen / Steinmarher and the black under the Zugerberg lift The rest (on piste) is all on the easier side.

So what? Reds are harder then blues, blacks are harder than reds, I don't find any of them "difficult", which leaves me with whether they're any good or not. Being graded as black doesn't make a run any better. I find it as hard to ski a blue or red well as I do a black I'm afraid.

I much prefer Lech, and Stuben in fact, to St Anton which I reckon's overrated in the extreme. All of which is making me want to go right now Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMHO For Off Piste . Stuben & Zurs is where its at . St Anton gets tracked out to quick. Off-Piste in Lech requires the skins or chopper.
Certainly in Lech & Zurs the Arlbergbahn (lift company) have invested
most of its resources replacing many of the lifts with high speed bubbles. One day they may get round to Stuben .
I also heard a local rumour a lift plan up from Langam to Stuben .
latest report
I'm staying in Nasserain for 1 week on Jan 2nd. It's not too far from the main town is it??
latest report
No, it's about a 20 min walk but there are lots of taxis.
snow report
That'll be an hour after 10 pints at 3 in the morning then.
ski holidays
[/quote]No, it's about a 20 min walk but there are lots of taxis

Are you crawling ?

You can do it in 10mins .

Nasserein,St Jakob are obviously cheaper to stay in than the centre & IMO the B&B's are far better however taking Taxi's everynight will increase your expenditure .
In the past I used to hike in from Gand which is the last village east past St Jakob and that only took 20mins Very Happy When its cold you can walk fast ! Anyhow, last season you could use the Ski bus upto a certain time then theres a private bus service (for a couple of euros) at night to get you back.
latest report
stanton wrote:
IMHO For Off Piste . Stuben & Zurs is where its at . St Anton gets tracked out too quick. Off-Piste in Lech requires the skins or chopper.
Yes, I agree with that. The total off-piste you can access from St Anton, including these areas, is so huge that a good guide can find you untracked stuff 2 weeks after the last snowfall (the situation when I went last). I seem to remember there is some challenging off-piste to be had from the Lech cable-car, skiing back towards Lech that is hardly skied (the return treck towards Zurs is from the lift I am thinking of).

PS I would agree that Les Arcs has more more challenging pistes than Val d'Isere, but, though Les Arcs has several very good off-piste runs (which are not sufficiently known), the vastness of off-piste possibilities at Val d'Isere comfortably outclasses it.
ski holidays
The Madloch isn't a blue or a red - it's a ski route - and whilst signed, it's not pisted. Our instructor took us on little 'baby off piste' sections during our 'white run' circuit. I thought for us, only having had 2 weeks skiing previously, was pretty good. I think the wide, well pisted runs around Lech are ideal for building confidence. The 'blue run' back into the village isn't the easiest blue I've been on.
And Simon, you must have done a different 'white run' because it only took us 2 hours, not most of the day!!!!
ski holidays
>>>I seem to remember there is some challenging off-piste to be had from the Lech cable-car, skiing back towards Lech that is hardly skied >> Yes, you mean to the left directly at the top Rüfikopfbahn 1 down the "Langerzug" Smile
Shouldn't be telling everyone this, hell why not !

From in Zurs the Top of Trittkopfbahn (cablecar) theres a nice of-piste run back to Stuben with the option of taking in some Big Airs of the Highway (Rauz to Zurs) Avalanche shelters ( This actually illegal if you get caught ) wink
ski holidays
Lech: Yes, I think that's it. (I think there is another, too, I haven't done).
From Zurs to Stuben: I did that with a guide last time I was there 4 years ago (without the big air) though I don't remember precisely where it went.
latest report
conor, Just in case you didn't realise there is now a good lift up from Nasserein.
snow report
St Anton can be tough but it is a very good allround destination. Make sure you get around and spend a day in Rendl and take the trip to Zurs/Lech. Give yourself plenty of time and start from Zurs. Otherwise you spend all your time getting there and don't have enough time to se anything beofre you start the race back to Zurs for the bus. It might be better to go to Zurs, ski to Lech, do Lech and catch the bus from there as the connection back to Zurs is not so inspiring, or rather you are not missing anything much.

Go to the top of Valluga, and spend as much time on the variations down, you can make it as tough as you can handle.
On the way home visit the Moosewirt and the KK and say hi to Maria...... Don't make any special dinner plans....
latest report
As David@traxvax, mentioned, the Hospiz Alm at St Christoph is worthy of a lunchtime visit. One of its famous features is an indoor slide that you can ride down to the downstairs toilets! Madeye-Smiley

One other area in the St Anton vicinity which hasn't been mentioned in this thread is Sonnenkopf (which can be reached by bus from St Anton). If you want an easy day out with plenty of cruising blue and red runs it's worth a visit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy