Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best skiing is found during bad weather conditions.

Is the best skiing found during bad weather?
Yes, I love skiing when noone else does.
47%
 47%  [ 32 ]
I will ski in bad weather, but only because I only get six days a year.
42%
 42%  [ 29 ]
Are you mad? In bad weather I curl up in front of a roaring log fire and wait it out.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
I have more sense, and better things to be doing when the weather is bad.
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Voted : 57
Total Votes : 68

Poster: A snowHead
Opinions?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-12-04 13:24; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The snow feels nice but you can't see what you're doing, which is a bit scarey...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
North Pole will be your favourite resort, right?

Don't forget the loose snow could be 24" deep, visibility reduced to zero and you could be standing next to a cliff without knowing your orientation.

What about missing the last chairlift and going the mountain in complete darkess? You still want your favourite blizzard condition to go with it?

In low altitude mountain top like in Scotland the snow travels horizontally in blizzard condition too.

No my cup of tea. What's wrong with sunshine condition as posted in the web?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agreed, but only when you get below the tree line.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just don't do it!! Am lucky enough to get away a number of times in the year and if its a white out, I just say tomorrow may be better!!

Enjoy the scenery and sunshine, roll on January 23rd, I am praying for good weather.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I live here and there's no way I'd pass up a chance to ski in stormy weather, it's fantastic. The punters go home, the slopes are empty. Even the most average slope is transformed by the fresh snow. And the moment when the storm clears is totally sublime.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I quite like skiing in blizzard conditions because it give you "hero snow" conditions on the piste, and usually it means that the piste is near-deserted. Flat light can be a problem at first, but after a while you start to use the force, and it gets to be fun again. It's definitely best to stay below the tree line, as it gives you a sense of perspective. The main problem is the ride back up on the chair lift, which can get a little cold at times, especially when you end up being covered in a layer of snow by the time that you reach the top.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just so long as the wind isn't so strong that the snow falls upwards, I tend to agree. Skiing below the tree line (or skiing through GS gates as I discovered a couple of weeks ago) helps a great deal with visibility, and as ise said, even the most boring piste in the world suddenly develops enormous 'grin factor' when covered in fresh snow. Get a decent pair of goggles and enough neck-warmers and stuff to seal yourslef against the elements and suddenly the weather no longer seems to matter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree, decent goggles are worth their weight in gold in bad conditions. Last year a friend lent me his Oakley Wisdoms with trick lens, slightly pinkish tint, absolutely transformed the visibility. Would recommend them to anyone, although the trick lens takes the price to about £150.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good for war stories, but give me blue skies 90% of the time (just as long as it's not too warm).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem with powder skiing under blue skies is that it gets tracked out really early, and for us mere mortals who don't live in the resort, skiing in bad weather is our only chance to get fresh tracks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not always, but occasionally best IMHO. Three additional ingredients help

1) Good clothing so that you are isolated from the cold/wind.
2) Good goggles so that you can see.
3) Landscape, trees or something to indicate where the sky stops and the ground begins Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tried it in Les Arcs about 10 years ago - bleeding freezing it was, what with all that snow. Had to ski a couple of miles back to resort - not much fun.

Got caught out at the top of Meribel about 5 years ago - took the gondola back down with a sip of Jack Daniels. We could hear voices on the piste but couldn't see a thing.

I'm with laundryman.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's when the blizzard makes sure the pistes are almost empty then the clouds start to break up a little.

Suddenly, in an instant, U get perfect visibility! U look down and see the piste open up below U as the shadow of the cloud speeds away accross the side of the valley.

But, in effect, it's not so much the cloud but the hole in the cloud that's moving, U look behind U and the shadow's approaching fast. So, U take off, through perfect, deep, untracked snow ON piste, racing to stay within that window of sunshine until, inevitably the 'void' catches up with U and U return to 'using the force' and never being completely sure which way is down... till the next break Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 30-11-04 22:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It does seem to be polarising opinion, perhaps I should have run a poll?
snow conditions
u brain, it's the deep snow on piste that makes it special. Six inches to a foot of light powder on a well prepared base make for fantastic effortless powder skiing.
ski holidays
Agreed, and with the piste markers for that little touch of reassurance that U aren't about to sail over a cliff!

Even better, when U find a gradient which suits your ability/ fitness / tiredness / motivation level, U can just ski it over and over, leaving fresh tracks every time!
latest report
I guess it depends what you mean by a blizzard. If you are on open slopes with a heavy wind, the snow can be murderously mixed with piles of heavy wind whipped snow alternating with freshly scoured ice, none of which you can see. If you are below the tree line with fresh unpacked undisturbed powder and little wind, this can I agree be bliss, only I usually manage to screw it up somehow Embarassed
snow conditions
T Bar, the first set of conditions have to be endured, the second are savoured. Often you have to endure the first to get to the second.
ski holidays
Storm skiing Rules!!!!! Stay near the trees for visibility. I love it when your tracks get covered up by the time you get back to the top.
If you ski where there are no real treed areas and you're out in the open I can see the problem. Especially since I wear glasses under g0ggles. The only thing I can think of that comes close to storm skiing is waking up after an all night storm to blue skies and deep pow and getting those early runs in perfect snow snowHead
Thinking about this is making me crazy due to the 24-30in base we have here. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Kramer,
You are probably right, but I remember one freezing windy day with only tows open when you had to endure an 'ice cream headache' to get up the tow. WHich gave you the 'pleasure' of having to get in a low tuck position to overcome the wind resistance to get back down the hill. I have to confess that after a few runs I took advantage of a pass refund due to inclement weather. I can't agree that all bad weather gives rise to enjoyable skiing. Crying or Very sad
snow report
T Bar, I agree, some days skiing in bad weather is just miserable, but some days it can be great. You never know until you get up the hill and have a go. The other great thing about skiing in bad weather is that it makes the hot chocolate/mulled wine at the end of the day taste even better. Very Happy
snow conditions
Last January in La Plagne it was extremely cold and snowed gently but non-stop for several days. About 1m of new snow total. Hood up and googles weather. But not much wind. That was OK but I wouldn't enjoy a true blizzard.
ski holidays
Quote:

but some days it can be great. You never know until you get up the hill and have a go.

Equally true, one of the best days last season Heavy snow in the Grand Massif, some wind, but able to find some sheltered slopes, virtually deserted. Unfortunately had to drive back to Geneva airport to catch the plane. So no Gluwein for T Bar Crying or Very sad
latest report
Great Skiing = Steady snowfall + Little Wind + Tree Lined Runs + Fast Chairlift.

Piste is often earily silent apart from the sound of your skis on fresh powder, marvellous
latest report
Blizzard conditions are great, you know it will end soon and that the snow will be fantastic. Was at Sunshine Village a couple of years ago lunched at the height of the storm, 80% of those on the mountain gave up for the day. We took a gamble and made for Goats Eye Mountain when all of a sudden it cleared the lift opened and we literally had the mountain to ourselves for three top to bottom runs. It was sensastional, the fresh snow on the piste was over the top of our boots. The best afternoons skiing I've had. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It certainly pays to hang around, I also find it good fun skiing in a white out, if a little knackering as you're forever doing short radius turns.
snow report
Ken Lingwood wrote:
It certainly pays to hang around, I also find it good fun skiing in a white out, if a little knackering as you're forever doing short radius turns.

What I find the most knackering are the occasions due to the visibility you don't let the skis run enough and end up coasting to a halt then pushing through fresh snow,
snow report
ise, and the best place to be in a whiteout is the Leisse in Tignes..just long and steep enough to be fun, with a nice slow (cold) chairlift for a rest on the way back up..'Again Daddy, Again'............
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is something exhilarating about skiing in a blizzard, but perhaps it is the excitement of knowing what's in store when the clouds break. I'm not sure I'd ski past a nice mountain restaurant in a blizzard though - I would pop in for a hot choccie ( with Amaretto from the hip flask ) and wait for the sun !
latest report
It's when the snow "sqweeks" that i love it. Don't know why but that sound puts a grin across my face (.........not that there's one there already if i'm in the snow Wink ) Toofy Grin
snow report
days like these :

http://www.pbase.com/ianspare/image/29628928

http://www.pbase.com/ianspare/image/29628927

http://www.pbase.com/ianspare/image/7719996
snow conditions
Best days are when you've gone up in poor conditions and then it all clears suddenly and you've practically got the whole mtn to yourself.
ski holidays
Blizzard skiing - I love it!!! Agree with Kramer and Rob Rar all the way - love the "using the Force" style of skiing where you don't know where the bumps are until you feel them - fantastic. Also agree that perfectly ordinary slopes can give you "the grin factor" in blizzard conditions - what a great description!!

I suppose it's what you start with. The week I learned to ski we had really exciting snowy conditions almost all week. You feel like it's you against nature. Our instructor was getting icicles on his moustache it was that bad!! The sheer exhilaration of making it down the mountain was fantastic - so much so that I always wanted to go back up to feel it again!!

Give me deep, powdery, blizzardy snow any day rather than the icy, hard, unforgiving dangerous stuff.
ski holidays
Great pictures, Ise. The third one has just made me hand in my notice ...
latest report
Of course - no sun means the snow doesn't change. Don't you love when you can't find/see you tracks !
snow report
White-outs are a good challenge: when you don't know if your next turn will take you uphill or down (or over an edge!) till you've done it. White-outs make me giddy. You can fall over after you've stopped (not knowing you've stopped). You just have to keep turning so the centrifugal force is strong enough to keep you focussed.
ski holidays
Bright blue sunny powder days are great, but there is always the thought that the snow is going to get tracked out, and that it won't be as good the next day, and that it might be the beginning of the end of the season (I'm not normally this neurotic, only when it comes to snow!), when you're skiing in bad weather there is the thought that you're not using the snow up, and that it's going to be even better conditions the next day.

Also the very act of skiing in poor light "using the force", makes you concentrate on good technique, meaning that when visibility returns your skiing will be far better. It does take a leap of faith to keep your speed up in bad light, but once you make it, things get a whole lot easier.

Finally, if you ski when it is snowing, and fall over, it doesn't matter! Everything is so fluffy and soft, the only thing that you have to worry about is finding your skis. As for skiing off a cliff, I wouldn't go off piste in a blizzard, I would stick to where I know. Laughing
snow report
Yes, I didn't mean a cliff (!) just slight drop-offs. And sometimes you lose sight of the piste markers and get off-piste without meaning to!
ski holidays
It appears to me that very few snowheads have skied on spring snow, or corn snow as it's referred to in Austria. The best ski surface of all. So when skiing later in the year be sure to search it out. Worth hiking for, worth getting up early for and as it is exactly what the name implys invariably the days are cold, crisp and bright, then warming up as the sun works it magic. You lot, who like skiing in blizzards are perverse.
latest report
David@traxvax, say what you think, don't hold back at all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy