Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Capercaillie stressed by ski tourism

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski tourism is raising stress levels among capercaillie, which could harm the birds’ fitness and ability to breed successfully, according to a study by ecologists. The numbers of capercallie are declining markedly across central Europe. And, researchers have warned that forests inhabited by capercaillie should be kept free from tourism to protect the birds. ...The study, by ecologists from Switzerland, Germany and Austria, used a new technique to assess the impact of ski tourism on capercaillie. Working in the Southern Black Forest in Germany, they collected the birds’ droppings before and after the start of the ski season, and analysed them for levels of the breakdown products of the stress hormone corticosterone. They found that levels of the breakdown products of the hormone were significantly higher in birds living in areas with moderate or high levels of ski tourism.

Citation: Thiel D et al. Ski tourism affects habitat use and evokes a physiological response in capercaillie Tetrao urogallus: a new methodological approach. J Appl Ecol 2008 online. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2008.01465.x

Source: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-03/w-sts022808.php
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is also on Winterhighland - one notable post says
Quote:
The decline of capercaillie numbers is almost coincidental with the protection of pine marten...
"An RSPB volunteer monitored 500 hours of video footage, which showed pine martens stealing eggs from nearly all 20 capercaillie nests being monitored"

Also a neat recipe for stewed capercaillie
Quote:
Dig large hole
Place Capercaillie in roasting pan and cover with cabbage leaves
Bury for 6 months
Dig up
Discard Capercaillie and eat cabbage leaves
Blush
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geoffers, Laughing probably the sickest, and funniest post I've ever seen on here, and there have been plenty of both...

you are a very bad man, more posts please... Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is the same bird which is called a "Tetras" in France?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well if you cant eat it what is everyone worried about Puzzled Toofy Grin Looking at the walls of most of the mountain resteraunts in Austria I am shocked there is anything left alive in the Alps! There is a food stop that has a room like the one in ace ventura
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find ski tourism pretty stressful, so I'm not surprised that these birds do. If they can't cope with it, they should stop doing it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy