Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camelbak-recommendations please?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Could anyone help me please?

I got a Camelbak Zoid for free when I subscribed to Ski & Snowboard and found it was excellent but unfortunately there's not enough room for anything other than a piste map really. I'm now after a reasonably sized Camelbak with room for shovel and probe, an extra layer, goggles, gloves etc that can be compressed down when skiing on piste only without the shovel and probe. I've seen the Camelbak Muse which is a women specific one that is 16L and this one seems to tick all the boxes.

Can anyone else recommend a Camelbak or similar that they have used where they can fit the avi gear in (doesn't have to be a women specific one) before I commit to buying this Muse one??

Cheers

Emma
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For women - camelbak Muse - it's a brilliant size for a day on slopes, can carry shovel and probe as well as camera, extra layer, packed lunch etc and has a low profile that can be compressed down further for ease of use on chairlifts. Similar one for men - camelbak menace. Recommend going on ebay and getting one from the states. My Muse was about GBP30 inc postage (If customs do charge it's only on the winning bid amount not the poastage - so will only be about GBP5 extra)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah great Sally thanks for that.

I couldn't really see anything better than the Muse to be fair for daily piste/short off piste use. I take it the hydration unit is completely removable?

Seems like it from the Camelbak website but I did wonder as I know on some of the Camelbaks (like the Zoid) it is built in to the pack so to speak and you can't take it out. I've got a Dakine Pro II for carrying more stuff than the usual ski day but at 26L its just too big and unnecessary for a day on the pistes. I would like to be able to use the Camelbak hydration in that too if it is removable. The Dakine reservoir I got with the Pro II was terrible - it leaked after one use and the bite valve was really tough to use too. The Camelbak Zoid was so much easier I have to say.

Was there any particular shop on Ebay where you got your Muse?

Thanks

Emma
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm waiting for mine to be delivered still - bought it after admiring a friends but to be honest didn't notice whethe the hydration pack was removable? Presume so for cleaning though as it's part of a larger bag, unlike the Zoid? Can't be sure though - When it arrives I can let you know if it's not too late - hoping by Friday
I got mine on ebay through http://tinyurl.com/3bgu65 but he doesn't have any more at the mo. I just did a search though and this one: http://tinyurl.com/2ka5bn
comes up as being potentially the best deal so long as no-one else bids on it too much (didn't have any competition for mine which bodes well) Fairly reasonable shipping cost.
Good luck!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Sally

Cheers for that. Yeah saw the brown one on Ebay earlier on-I was after the black version with turquoise writing on it though. I have seen one from a UK cycle shop online which was reduced by a tenner off the normal price- I don't mind paying the going UK price though if its what I want and its free delivery with them as well. Although I will check ebay on occasion before I buy one from the shop online I've seen to check if they have the version I'm after.

Yeah, that would be great if you could just confirm that it is a removable unit when you get yours-I'm 99% sure it is as I'm sure it would have said on Camelbak.com otherwise but would be good just to make sure.

Thanks

Emma
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, have you seen Hydrapak's new reversible reservoir?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, have you seen Hydrapak's new reversible reservoir?
No....what's that then?

Emma
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Much easier to clean out and fill with anything from hot drinks (tea sachets?) to ice cubes.
http://www.hydrapak.com/catalog/product2110.htm

I'm changing over all my Camelbak(TM) reservoirs, I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just bought some cheap version on eBay.
Was only about £5...search for water bladder, seems to be fine Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, I will let you know as soon as I get it. Cross fingers not long!! I think getting the right colour is worth paying a bit extra. I wanted the white one and couldn't actually find it in the UK so was quite lucky to find it cheap in the US.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CamelBak Scorpion... small yet roomy!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just bought a tress pass day sack for £14.95 with 2l bladder on ebay.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, Why get CamelBak?

You have the reservoir, and it will be perfectly usable in any pack. There are even quite a few packs that will have pockets designed specifically to hold a hydration reservoir, and sometimes with padded sleeves on the straps for the tube.

IMO, the only reason for specifically buying a camelbak pack is if you are getting the whole system as one purchase.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick question - does anyone have an insulated tube on their camelbaks as mine always freezes!
latest report
croskemj wrote:
Quick question - does anyone have an insulated tube on their camelbaks as mine always freezes!

You mean the rubber "jacket" on the drinking tube? Yes, it helps to keep the tube from freezing a bit better. But on a really cold day, it'll still freeze. If you remember to "blow" the water back into the pack, it stays un-frozen much better, with or without the insulating cover.

comprex wrote:
Much easier to clean out and fill with anything from hot drinks (tea sachets?) to ice cubes.
http://www.hydrapak.com/catalog/product2110.htm

I'm changing over all my Camelbak(TM) reservoirs, I think.

It's not the reservoir, it's the drinking tube that's much hard to clean.
ski holidays
alex_heney,

No only have Camelbak Zoid (got it for free from DMSS) which does not have a removable reservoir-it is built into the pack itself and can't be taken out and has no room for anything other than a piste map/snack bar. Plus it is only 1L anyway-need 2L or 3L hence looking at Muse so I can then use the 2L reservoir that comes with the Muse in my Dakine Pro II pack as an alternative when I need more space than the Muse has got. The Pro II is fantastic but just too big at 26L for the average ski day.
croskemj,

The Camelbak Zoid has an insulated tube and it didn't freeze when I used it at all, that was January though in the Three Valleys. I have seen other Camelbaks with an insulated tube as well in fact I'm hoping this Muse one has an insulated tube also but can't see from the picture of it. I will ask sallywt when she gets hers if it has one or not!

Thanks to all for your opinions

Emma
snow report
So the Zoid's water reservoir isn't removable but how about the insulating tube? Can IT be removed for use in other hydration packs? Mine is removable (so is the drinking tube, absolutely essential for cleaning).

So I move the drinking tube with the insulation from one water pack to another (I have two water reservoirs which gets moved between about 3-4 packs, for biking, skiing, kayaking, overnight backpacking...)
snow conditions
Dakine do a separate 2L or 3L hydration pack that has a removable hose. It fits into pretty much any bag with a suitable pocket: I've got Scott and Ortovox backpacks and it works fine in both. An insulated tube only hinders freezing of the water, it doesn't prevent it Twisted Evil "Blowing back" is the only real solution I think wink
latest report
Sharkymark,

Hi yes have 3 L Dakine reservoir/hydration pack (Nalgene) that I got with my Pro II but the damn thing leaked out of said removable hose after the first or second day! Will return it to the shop I got it from as it must be faulty. So because the Camelbak Zoid was so good (although too small a pack) I'm going back to Camelbak! Have never heard any reports of Camelbak reservoirs leaking before, hopefully that's why they are so popular.

abc,

Don't know if the drinking tube can be removed from the Zoid or not, will have a look but that doesn't help me anyway as I need the hydration unit well as the drinking tube anyway.

Thanks all, will get a Muse on the weekend I reckon, seems to be the pack that ticks all the boxes.

Emma
latest report
Quote:

abc,

Don't know if the drinking tube can be removed from the Zoid or not, will have a look but that doesn't help me anyway as I need the hydration unit well as the drinking tube anyway.

If the drinking tube is removable, the insulating tube can be removed with it, and put on the new hydration bag.
snow report
Have just pruchased a very good one, " High Sierra" brand; 2 litre 'tank', loads of pockets & room for stuff etc., amazingly compact...............seems very well made ( lifetime warranty etc)...............just under a tenner from Costco Very Happy
Mitch
ski holidays
Cheers Mitchell, will take a look.

abc, ah see what you mean-if Muse does not not have insulated drinking tube then you're suggesting I could use the drinking insulated tube off the Zoid.....just checked and strangely can't remove entire tube from the Zoid as it seems to be entirely built into the pack. However could just nick the insulated tubing bit off the outside of the tube to use on the Muse. I'm sure the Muse must have an insulated drinking tube anyway as it is under the Winter packs section of Camelbak....we will soon find out and shame to wreck the Zoid in case I need it again in the future.

Cheers everyone.

Emma
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, got my Muse yeaterday and very very happy with it. The hydration pack is indeed removable and it does have an insulated tube...very nice
ski holidays
Hi sallywt,

Excellent! I ordered one yesterday anyway which should be here next week as I saw on a US website it did indeed have an insulated drinking tube. I was more than sure that I wouldn't find anything else as good for what I wanted. Thanks for getting back to me. Glad you are happy with yours!

Emma
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy