Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valloire any one been there !!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to book for New Year and I am looking for somewhere different to my usual destinations of 3V, Paradiski, Espace Killy.

I know this area is nowhere near as extensive, but I am not really bothered about that.

I have read reports on SCGB Toofy Grin and it would appear that it does not get anywhere near as crowded at peak times. Not interested in mad Apres a restaurant and a few bars will suffice. Anyone been there who can offer there opinions good, bad or indifferent.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went there Jan 07, it's a nice place. Village is pretty if you're into that,food / drink very reasonable,not over run by brits. Mountains are ok,nothing really very challenging,mainly intermediate stuff. All in all a decent place and you don't get ripped off!We had a fantastic challet 5* with under floor heating, sauna,steam room,jaccuzi and even a gym, real luxury!! it wasn't expensive either!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, been twice 07 and 08 at half term. We got to the stage where we had to stop taking the kids out of school at a quieter, cheaper time. As we were driving to cut costs (used to go on eurostar first class!) we decided to switch from la plagne (previous 3 years) to somewhere which might be less hectic and also avoid the traffic jams on the Moutiers/Bourg St Maurice road. So we chose the Maurienne valley and after a little research went for Valloire. We went back for a second go so it can't be too bad! It's a proper village; not purpose built. It is fortunate to have the "Galibier" tag as this generates lots of tourist income in the summer. The people are friendly (I talked to lots this year as my son needed info for a geography project and his French is limited) and quite relaxed/helpful. The town is also buzzing as one of the locals, Jean-Baptiste Grange, has won a few world cup slalom races. Didn't come across many brits in 07 but there were a few more in 08, including a school trip. The skiing is good for a week. Obviously the snow this season and last hasn't been plentiful but I was impressed by the management of it - very good on piste. When there is lots of snow I gather the off piste is fantastic and not well known. I was very happy skiing the reds/blues - there are a couple of long (?4-5 miles-ish) blues - Armera and Combe Orsiere - which are lovely. Selles too, but that's a bit busier. Wonderful restaurant for lunch on that run (les meregers). There are a few proper blacks which my husband enjoyed. Good snow parks (including an easipark for skiers which the kids liked). As for crowds, it is quite a French family resort so half term was teeming with kids (more so on the Valmeinier side). However with an early start and judicious planning we did fine. We stayed in the charbonnieres area first time then chalets du galibier this time. Very comfortable/good value. Ski pass cheaper than la plagne too (499 euros for the family) Very Happy If you understand French there is a very informative site with forum www.cybervalloire.com Also an excellent site www.ski-valloire.net which has incredibly detailed info on pistes with lengths/photos/descriptions. I have a (translated) spreadsheet with all the info which was quite useful - can send to anyone if interested. I will stop there as I could bore for Britain on Valloire details (probably already have). We are going to Zermatt next year, mainly for my husband's sake but I would be delighted to return to Valloire - it's a lovely place. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit sad answering your own post to push it back to the top of the list I know.

But I have booked Valloire now for New Year, anyone else with any experience. You can leave the bad ones now please Razz
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never really considered Valloire, but I might now after AW's description - great review and very useful Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Valloire is a great place with more than enough skiing for a week. You can also drive down to orelle and catch the gondola to val thorens for a change of scenery. Try the bistro chez fred for great steaks and duck. Nightlife is ok but not wild. Agree with AW about Armera, there is also a great cruise to valmeinier from the back of the grand plataeu. All in all a great place, enjoy!!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im considering Valloire for the future, maybe not next year. We'll have to see. Its a traditional French family ntermediate playground isnt it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy