Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I blinkered.

Poster: A snowHead
In the past 8 years i have been skiing twice a year but only ever gone to Sierra Nevada and Andorra with exception of L2A for the PSB and I am quiet happy to go back next year to Sierra Nevada or Andorra, does anyone else stick to resorts they like.(or is it me being a chopper) wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Havent been skiing for as long. But Ive only been to 1 resort Montgenevere in France and I love it.

Im thinking next year will be a change, but only to about 20 miles away and even then I'll spend a day in Montgenevre hopefully.

I hope that I will see Switzerland, Italy, Austria and other French resorts in the future.

I want to go to:
Switzerland - Zermatt
Austria - Kitzbuhel, Schladming, solden
France - Val d'Isere, Serre Cheavlier, Valloire, La Rosiere
Italy - Cervinia, Dolomites, Courmayeur, la Thuile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Banff for six hols on the trot, all bar two for 2 weeks, following two 1 week hols in L.Louise. The kids insisted on it and we were happy to go along with them. Obviously, we enjoyed it. Mind you, I'm glad that we changed; Breckenridge was great, Kitzbuhel very pleasant and St Anton really excellent, although none of those towns can hold a candle (whatever that means) to Banff.

I would expect you to like somewhere else if you tried it, but if you're happy, what does it matter?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
there are places i want to go Verbier and Meribel but end up going back to same places each year
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely if you really like a place and keep goingback, then still like the place, there is something right about it.... I really like Les Contamines, I can't tell you exactly why, but I've never had a bad time there! I am quite happy to go back again, but I am not concerned about being a sad git who doesn't go somewhere different every year.

Mind you, I am going to the Junfrau next season, although I'm hoping to get to Les Contamines again on top of that!

Christopher, at least you could do La Thuile and La Rosiere in one hit! Just be prepared for the drag lift between them!!! Zermatt and Cervinia as well...

richmond, Banff is another place I could happily go back to again and again.

I also want to go to Zermatt, Shladming.... Better not start this type of thread rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jase2472, We always go to Les Arcs/La Plagne. We just love the place Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going to Ischgl on Friday for 11th time on a lads trip. I love the place so much that I know if I go anywhere else, however good it is, I'd think I'd rather be in Ischgl. A couple of times we went somewhere else (St. Anton & Solden) and, fine resorts though they were I wish I had gone to Ischgl instead.
At Easter, I go on a couples trip - this year to Zell Am See - and although I am looking forward to it, Ischgl will no doubt, be in the back of my mind.

However, if time and money were no object, I'd love to go to the dolomites for the dramatic scenery and Chamonix to do the Valle Blanche as well. Whistler sounds good as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The places you've been to so far would not feature on most people's top 10 dream resort wishlist, so it's fair to say you're missing out on the best skiing in the World. So it just depends if you're happy with that and prefer to stay in your comfort zone, or want to get out there and try something different.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster, many people can't afford to go to St Anton, Aspen or wherever for a family holiday so there are also big financial factors.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never been to the same resort twice, but then I've only been away five times. The only places I've been so far that I could see myself going back to are Les Arcs and Val d'Isere.

I guess it's easier to go back to somewhere you've been before as you know what to expect.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jase2472, you are approaching this the wrong way. Keep going back to the resorts you like, but then add another in each year. So last year you skied 2 weeks, this year you would ski 3, next year 4 etc etc snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jase2472, sneaky weekend trips to try out new resorts is the answer wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hedley, One advantage of going back to the same place, especially on short breaks, is that you know how far you can get etc.. in a day. We are of to La Plagne for 3 days next week and know how to maximise the skiing in those 3 days Cool snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jase2472, I think people should go where they are happy... if you're happy and you enjoy your trips then familiarity can be nice. Agree with the others that should you wish to try something different then there are PLENTY of other options out there. Both Serra Nevada and Andorra and mountain peak style resorts (rather open with very few if any tree lined runs) it might be nice to try some of these as it's a completely different experience... I'd like to go back to Saalbach when the conditions are better to explore more of the area...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jase2472, nothing wrong with going to the same place all the time if you enjoy it.
I like to go to different places, partly because they are "different", and partly because one place may be better than another for one thing, etc (there was a recent thread about this)
I sometimes take exception to posters on here who will "advise" others not to go to certain resorts or countries, claiming that some other resort/country is far better, yet they may have never been to the places they advise against, or have ruled out 100 resorts based on their experience of 1.
snow conditions
jase2472, People find comfort in the firmiliar and for skiing and the majority of brits that means France, It is good to get out and see somthing diffrent just think off all the palces you can ski and what you can experience.Just look at Zermatt and Cervinia the are on opposite sided of the mountain and they are totally diffrent places and Kithzbul compared to say Tignes?

There is tons of experiences to be had out ther but if you are happy that is all that is important right Very Happy
snow conditions
Rossfra8 wrote:
uktrailmonster, many people can't afford to go to St Anton, Aspen or wherever for a family holiday so there are also big financial factors.

Sure, but it doesn't mean you MUST go back to the same budget places. There are plenty of other cheap options out there too. Basically if you only go to the same places without knowing what others are like, how are you going to know if you would enjoy them more or not?
ski holidays
There must be hundreds of resorts in europe so I would want to ski as many different resorts as possible. Saying that I've been to Chamonix 4 times and there are other places that I want to go back to such as Verbier.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
There must be hundreds of resorts in europe

Austria has at least 320 resorts (albeit some very small ones http://www.bergfex.com/austria/) I wonder how many there are in the whole of Europe? Anybody got figures for France, Switzerland etc?
snow report
Quote:

Rossfra8 wrote:

Sure, but it doesn't mean you MUST go back to the same budget places. There are plenty of other cheap options out there too.

Absolutely. There are good reasons to keep going back to the same place, but budget isn't usually one of them. When we bought our apartment one of the factors we considered is that it would mean going back to the same place. For weeks at a time (hardships...). So far (5 seasons) that's not been a problem, but we are not very adventurous or clever skiers. Our son, who is, enjoys skiing in our area but he wouldn't want to keep doing so because there just aren't enough new challenges for him.

Going to the same place all the time is not "blinkered" (after all, you know all the others are out there). It's conservative, and risk averse, but necessarily anything wrong with that. It's always enjoyable to re-discover old favourites and it's especially nice for kids.

But I would agree that it would be a shame if a skiing lifetime was restricted to the Sierra Nevada and Andorra. I keep reading on Snowheads about places I'd love to try and would, if I got suddenly richer, despite having our own apartment.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Ordhan,

I can see both sides of this debate.

As a family we have only ever skiied in Austria, comfort zone being very high on the list; up until now.

Have a week in Val D'Isere booked for next month. Big change for us.

I also think that when a one or two weeks skiing is the only trip that some families/individuals take in the calendar year that it can be possible to waste precious time aquainting oneself with a completely new resort. I also feel that each trip made, to whatever resport must be judged on its own merits at the time. With so many varying factors, how can one make a sweeping evaluation (on someone elses behalf) either positive or negative about specific resort. I have experienced both good and bad weeks at the same place.
latest report
Just go to Les Arcs every year, sack everywhere else off, they're rubbish in comparison, take my word for it. (*ducks*)
snow report
Quote:

I also think that when a one or two weeks skiing is the only trip that some families/individuals take in the calendar year that it can be possible to waste precious time aquainting oneself with a completely new resort.

Quite right.

It even more so if you don't really have much time to do research about any new resort before you go. Places to stay, transfer options, ski school, restaurant for lunch etc... Why spend time to do all that when you can go back to the same place where you are happy?
snow report
Sallywt Toofy Grin We have a family holiday every year in the same resort! But I try to get 2 and if I am goo 3 other trips a year Very Happy and I will try somwhere new as long as it has what I am looking for. Well at least that is what their websites say Twisted Evil

All that is important is that you are happy with the time you get on snow and you are wiht people you like or without the ones you dont
latest report
I think it's cause some don't consider it "a waste of precious time" to go off exploring, trying new restaurants and bars, doing different things. Some people go to Ibiza every year, or the same Butlins.
If I only have a short time each year to explore new places, I want to spend it exploring. (but I may be unique in that viewpoint)

I don' think it's wrong to go to the same resort all the time, but it seems like a waste of a good opportunity to me.
snow report
Nothing wrong with going to the same place... I've been going to Super Devoluy in France for the past 5 years now & still have a great time. Even though its a small resort.

I've gone from learning myself to helping teach others... we still find new bits each year, although its less and less now... but I can see myself going there again year after year well into the future Smile
latest report
DB wrote:
halfhand wrote:
There must be hundreds of resorts in europe

Austria has at least 320 resorts (albeit some very small ones http://www.bergfex.com/austria/)

I thought I was doing well ading up the ones I've skied, but they work out to be 5% of the total Very Happy Should keep me going for a good fews years yet.
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
Breckenridge was great, Kitzbuhel very pleasant and St Anton really excellent, although none of those towns can hold a candle (whatever that means) to Banff.

I found this:-
"Candle," meaning a source of light fashioned from wax or animal fat, first appeared in English quite long ago, around the year 700. Candles remained the primary source of artificial light for the next 1000 years or so, and if one were doing delicate work after dark, it was best to have an assistant to hold the candle to maximize the usable light. "To hold a candle to," a phrase which first appeared around 1550, meant "to assist in a subordinate position," and if you were "not able to hold a candle to," it meant you were too incompetent to be trusted with even a simple task. Eventually, "can't hold a candle to" became a generalized way to say that something is so inferior that it cannot be fairly compared to its betters.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I keep going back to Glencoe, does that count ? Puzzled

As for my most of my weeks on foreign snow, these days I book time off work but don't choose where we're going until a few weeks beforehand and then play chicken for a late catered chalet deal somewhere you wouldn't normally think of going. It's got to the point where I try to avoid going back to the same ski areas / resorts now, making a decision instead based on available deals, weather outlook (i.e. St Anton this year) and reputation of the skiing. I reckon by the time I'm 80, I'll have skied most of the best areas in the Alps and beyond.

Even with a group of 5 or 6 we get somewhere respectable and over the years got to see a few of the best in the Alps e.g. our last three Easters we've managed ...

Easter 2006, L2A catered for £400 ea.
Easter 2007, Courchevel 1850 catered for £450 ea.
Easter 2008, just booked St Anton catered for £450 ea.

On the other hand, if you know what you like and you like what you know then by all means go back to the same places and leave the best late deals to me. wink
latest report
snowball, thanks for that.
ski holidays
I can fully understand the advantages of going back to the same place, but it makes sense (to me at least) to try quite a few different places before deciding which resort is the best for your needs. As discussed in the "best resort" thread, you can only really make a judgement based on resorts you've actually been to. It took me many years to find what I now consider to be my ideal resort. Along the way I can't say I've ever been to a resort I considered really bad, but there are definitely varying degrees of good. Having been to a reasonable cross section of resorts across Europe and North America, I don't often wonder if I'm missing out on something significantly better.
snow report
One of the reasons we go back in not money its we take the kids with us and they love it at these places, I know they would love it just as much else where but hows fault would it be if they didn't........ mine or the wifes wink
latest report
jase2472, that's a large part of the reason why we went to Banff for 6 years on the trot, together with excellent tuition, good value, few queues etc etc. I'm glad that we decided to go elsewhere, though, but we'd all love to return to Banff sometime. In fact, I get it in the ear from the kids all the time. I wonder whether it'd be as wonderful as they remember it. I suspect that after St Anton in particular they might be a bit disappointed with some aspects of the skiing.
ski holidays
Having come to skiing late in life (40+) both of us feel that we want to see what all the different resorts have to offer. Having said that we have been back to some because we really liked them. Most of our trips have been to France but this year we have been to Austria for the first time and also Switzerland. Last year's 'Adventure' was Heavenly in the US. We fancy going back there next year because the skiing was so good, but also fancy trying some of the other US resorts. So many resorts - so little time snowHead Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I wonder whether it'd be as wonderful as they remember it.

Probably not - best leave them with their dreams!
ski holidays
One new place minimum a year is my personal rule. But usually going back to a resort we do know for a family ski holiday.

I don't change my job/home/wife etc etc, I might at least inject some variety into where I ski.
latest report
jase2472 wrote:
One of the reasons we go back in not money its we take the kids with us and they love it at these places, I know they would love it just as much else where but hows fault would it be if they didn't........ mine or the wifes wink

But they have nothing else to reference it to. All ski resorts are great, but some are more great than others Smile
What is it you/they particularly love about these places?
ski holidays
So many resort so little time, just flying into Geneva\Chambery\salzburg you have hundreds of resorts to chose from.

I have never been back to a resort yet no because didn't like them, but there is so much choice
latest report
ajbaldwin wrote:
So many resort so little time, just flying into Geneva\Chambery\salzburg you have hundreds of resorts to chose from.

I have never been back to a resort yet no because didn't like them, but there is so much choice

aye - for me variety is the spice of life. I ski 20+ different hills every year on weekend trips (easy, as close to drive to many) and the odd week or two vacation. Going where the best snow is likely to be is for me the top criteria.

But if you enjoy something, and keep going back there, that's fine. You never know what you're missing, which to be honest might be quite comforting ....
ski holidays
jase2472, You mention above that YOU would like to try other resorts, and that you keep going back because of the kids. I don't know how old your kids are, but when mine were young they would watch the same movie over and over and over again. I believe they like the 'predictability' of things when they are young.

However if you introduce them to new experiences they (usually) enjoy them just as much, (and then want to keep repeating them too rolling eyes ).

So for me the moral is, (until they start paying), they go where YOU chose, and your job is to expose them to all the wondrous variety of the world. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy