Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry ski slopes - worthwhile buying your skis??

Poster: A snowHead
I'd welcome the thoughts of SHs who regularly ski on dry slopes

I'm thinking about buying a cheap(er) pair of skis for thrashing around on that nasty horrible plastic stuff. Most of my skiing is on a dry slope and whilst I've never had a major problem with the skis you are given, I also appreciate that they're not the best

Most of my skiing, with the exception of the odd trip to the Tam SnowDome and jollies to Europe, will be on plastic.

Is it worthwhile spending a few quid to get my own skis?

I was seduced by Sport Conrad's website and saw a pair of Dynastar Driver X6 skis, which kinda fitted the bill - I'm a relative newcomer to skiing and have skied in Group lessons every week since Oct last year (20-25 in total). I guess I'm a advanced beginner, whatever that means

I'm happy to spend my hard earned, but was thinking:-

a) on a dry slope is really worthwhile having yor own skis (at my level of ability)?
b) will the plastic surface just trash them and there'll not be good for use on the 'real' stuff?
c) I appreciate that owning skis involves maintenance, but will I have to spend so much time keeping them 'in shape' for weekly use (on plastic) that I may as well leave the job to someone else?

d) anyone have experience of the Dynastar Driver X6s?

Any thoughts?

Sleipnir

PS - I'd also welcome comments from people who have bought from our German friends - I hear that the service is pretty good
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sleipnir, I ski on a dry slope twice a week and just use the hire skis. The skis there have recently been updated and a couple of weeks ago I got a new set just out of the wrapper, you can definately tell the difference.
My son also skis twice a week and I have bought him his own skis for the dry slope. I maintain them myself after some useful advice from snowHead 's and haven't found it too time consumming. His skis aren't in bad nick and he probably could use them on snow if he hadn't grown out of them, so I'm keeping his next set 'till we go on holiday next week and when we come back I will rewax them and he'll use them on the dry slope.
I suppose, for myself, I think you should be able to ski on anything and that I shouldn't blame the equipment for my lack of ability. That just isn't good enough for mummy's little darling though wink

P.S have used our German friends and got excellent service and value for money Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sleipnir, from your location I assume you're talking about the Ackers. I've not skied there myself so don't know what the conditions are like. Skiing hard on skis on a dry slope does trash them, so I keep separate pairs for dry and snow, but from your description I'm probably skiing a bit harder than you (I race) so need both very sharp edges and they go off very quickly, so having my own skis is an absolute must. For you I'd say you would probably notice an improvement, but it's not that great a requirement. I would say that you're best off getting advice from your instructors/coaches (BTW, is this with the Midland Ski Club - I've met several of them, a few at races and a couple on snow courses I've been on, and they seem a great bunch).

Also good experience of German friends, although no experience of after sales support, as I've not needed it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, spot on with your assumption, yes it is at The Ackers. As far as the conditions are concerned, I'd say it's so so. but then again, I've nothing really to compare it with having never skied on any other dry slopes

Thanks for your thoughts and those of ickabodblue. I don't ski with the Midlands Ski Club but have seen the guys & girls at various times when I've been skiing.

I'll ask the instructors, as suggested. I know the guy who teaches me says that he won't let his "babies" anywhere near the plastic

Must admit that I'm still keen on having my own skis - perhaps it's the whole waxing and edging and taking care of them.....hours of fun in the garden shed without a copy of Loaded magazine in sight!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sleipnir, I practised edging and waxing on my son's dry slope skis before I tackled my beautiful and beloved RX8s Very Happy (They never see the plastic)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sleipnier,
I bought a pair of ex rentals for the dry slope, They last about 5 years if you look after them and I ski 3 times a week, as long as you maintain them you will get at least 3 years out of them happy shopping
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did some lessons a dry slope before my first skiing trip. When I got back from holiday I went to the dry slope and decided I'd never bother again. Sorry, not much use to your question.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If at the times you ski you can always get a pair of carvers, then the benifit of having your own skis is marginal.

But if you are a regular, or ski at popular times, having your own skis is a big benefit.

[Disclaimer: I coach some of the Midland Ski Club sessions. The vast majority of coachees use their own skis.]

I personally use a pair of skis for the dry slope that have never (and will never) see snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomstickland, Skiing on your own on a dryslope and yes you wonder why you bother.

But skiing with an instructor in a regular group will advance your skiing so much that next season.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I teach all year round on a dry slope. Roughly I go through a pair of skis a season. But on the heavy years, I'm talking about being on the mat 6 days a week.

In the past I've skied a brand new pair of skis on the snow for a season and then they get retired onto the mat. My snow skis never see the mat before that. On the other hand, it has been quite useful a couple of times to put the mat skis onto snow to save brand new snow skis. I did a trip to Spain a couple of years ago with marginal conditions so didn't mind stones whacking the bases of my mat skis.

For various reasons, I got out of synch with needing new skis for the mat and suddenly found myself in a predicament in September needing new skis for the mat. But I didn't have a set of skis that I had used on the snow, just a brand new pair of Rossi Zenith Z9s still in their wrappers. So I decided to experiment and buy a cheap pair of skis for the mat to see how they would go. I got a brand new pair of Rossi X-Fight 600s and bindings from the Colorado Warehouse for £170 roughly I think. They're doing the job just fine at the moment until the Z9s come on line!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sleipnir, I have to say that skiing on the dry slope is different, almost a completely different sport, but in the absence of a dirty great mountain on your doorstep it suffices. If you have the readies to get your own skis and you enjoy your sessions on the dry slope then please, go ahead, buy some skis, enjoy yourself - you will progress Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As always, excellent advice from fellow snowHead s - thanks folks

A further question, if I may - aimed at those that have bought skis from Sport Conrad

I fired a question off to our German friends this morning, but then thought that I'd probably obtain a quicker response from you good people....Apologies if it's a naive question

The details of the skis state "mountings included" - I'm intrepreting this as the bindings are included in the price and that they come attached to the skis, as opposed to be included in the box and you have to install them yourself - was this the case for those of you that have also bought skis from SC?

The last thing I want to do is trash a new pair of skis (even if they are going to be used on plastic) by installing the bindings incorrectly

And the skis come fully waxed and edged, so pretty much ready to go?

Like I said, apologies for what may be viewed as naive questions......tis my first purchase of skis, so it's all a bit new to me! Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have skis that I use just for the dryslope. Unfortunately I'm already on my second pair as after about 9 months I was through to the core or on the first pair!

And that was with them being waxed with ultra cold (hard) wax every couple of trips.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sleipnir, yes, the "mountings included" means the bindings will come already fitted to the skis - just need your boot sole length when you are buying so they can position correctly. We have now bought 6 pairs in my family from sport conrad this year and always excellent service, skis well packaged for transport and arrived in great nick - just make sure you check the DIN setting as we requested 7 for my OH and they arrived set at 3 Shocked

re waxing and edging, I would definitely put on a few coats of a good hard dryslope wax like Polar X before heading to the dryslope with them - my experience of new skis is that they always need a few coats of wax to really soak into the bases and give good protection - specially on the nasty plastic mat! I also usually give the edges a quick run over with fine file but the skis from SC did come pretty sharp - guess see what the edges are like when they arrive.

hope you enjoy the new skis Very Happy as others have said plastic is a completely different animal to snow, and given the choice most of us would choose snow but us addicts gotta take the skiing where we can get it Very Happy Like GrahamN, I race on the plastic so having my own skis is a must and I do go through a pair a season, but for recreational use if you wax the bases with a good hard wax regularly they should last you well and at least you will know what condition they will be in and not have to run the gauntlet of whether you get decent hire skis or not!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
krekeg wrote:
I have skis that I use just for the dryslope. Unfortunately I'm already on my second pair as after about 9 months I was through to the core or on the first pair!

And that was with them being waxed with ultra cold (hard) wax every couple of trips.

Eeck! What sort of skier are you - regular racer?

We have a lot of clients who are good solid skiers, I wouldn't say mega, mega advanced though in that they don't carve and things, who use their own skis and maybe ski twice a week in the evenings during the winter. They're still using the same skis they bought a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
There is a product called Data Wax that is design for dry slope skiing. Definitely worth using as it'll save your skis.

That said I alway use skis that have had their day on snow.
snow report
The_Hirsty, yeah, sorry should have said the Polar X is data wax's dry slope wax (they do do snow waxes as well) Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

Eeck! What sort of skier are you - regular racer?

We have a lot of clients who are good solid skiers, I wouldn't say mega, mega advanced though in that they don't carve and things, who use their own skis and maybe ski twice a week in the evenings during the winter. They're still using the same skis they bought a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately our slope isn't big enough for racing. To be honest I think most of the wear came from carving all the time. I think as soon as a small groove started to appear the bristles become trapped in it creating even more wear. I was a twice a week type too - and used Polar X.
ski holidays
Thanks for the clarification vivski, and also to you and The_Hirsty, for the wax heads up when it comes to waxes.

I had a quick look at the Data Wax site and they appear to do a whole range of products fir dry slope use - http://www.datawax.com/datawax/showrange.do?range=2 ...........and there was me thinking a quick once over with Mr Sheen would do the job - joke, honest!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
krekeg, Does your slope have any misting ?
ski holidays
Quote:

krekeg, Does your slope have any misting ?

Yes. It's snowflex and it's not like it's in particularly bad knick either. The skis weren't particulalrly expensive, they were 'Budweiser' promotional Rossignols, so it's possible they had soft bases but I can see my Salomon Thrusters starting to lose their base structure along the edges. I think it's the heat produced that starts to melt the base closing up the structure. I've noticed that if you get a scratch on the base, a few week later it heals itself! I also think that as the base structure starts to close up it also stops absorbing wax which then starts of a bit of a vicious circle.
latest report
Interesting stuff. I hadn't really thought about what different surfaces might do.

We have Dendix and certainly I have never seen the same sort of wear and tear as your skis have got, even with the big guys.

Certainly carving does take more out of them, there is no doubt about it.
snow report
Sleipnir, yeah, data are really good and do loads of stuff for the plastic Very Happy tho just for recreational use you probably just need some polar x or the new graphite version. If you want sonme extra slippiness get hold of some zardoz notwax as well, most ski shops have it - makes you go much faster Twisted Evil

krekeg, interesting, I never have that much problem with my bases on the dendex, maybe snowflex is worse - tho I would have thought the nasty dendex loo brush would be the worst thing for the bases Puzzled My main prob tends to be running out of edge after a year of training and racing and having to sharpen after every session (or every run in a race!) Waxing with polar X before every session seems to preserve the bases pretty well. Scratches tend to remain as well, no self-healing! Hmmm..... curious as to whether it's snowflex vs dendex or different bases on different skis coping better? or just down to amount of wax etc?

ah well, better stop contemplating and go wax my skis for training tomorrow or Ill be seeing the damage the dendex can do! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
ickabodblue wrote:
I have to say that skiing on the dry slope is different, almost a completely different sport

I would disagree with that. Technique is the same and transfers from plastic to snow quite naturally. I learnt to ski on plastic and went on to race on it too. It definitely made my snow skiing much stronger.
snow report
uktrailmonster,
Tomstickland wrote
Quote:

I did some lessons a dry slope before my first skiing trip. When I got back from holiday I went to the dry slope and decided I'd never bother again. Sorry, not much use to your question

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that the skills were that different just the experience and also wanted to point out that some of us, myself included, really enjoy going to the dry slope. The post was badly written but I'd just come back from the pub and was feeling a little squiffy.
I've just started race training and have realised how much I've still got to learn Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Sleipnir, I ski and teach regularly on our dry slope (Dendix) and have just bought a cheap pair of skis exclusively for dry slope use.
I've only had them for a couple of weeks but DataWax Polar X together with Zardoz Notwax seem to be protecting them fairly well.
The ski slope always buys wood core skis for use by the punters (this season Salomon XWing 400) because, in their experience, they are far more durable on plastic.
ski holidays
A BIG thankyou to all of the snowHeads that provided their thoughts, feedback and advice - as always it was very helpful to the extent that I've bought a pair of skis for the dry slope from those nice Sport Conrad folks

As it's my first ski purchase, the advice about waxing will be invaluable, so thanks once again folks. Thanks also to Spyderjon who's extensive knowledge I made use of via email

Skis are due to be delivered tomorrow, so I can see many happy hours fettling away in the shed........nothing to do with waxing and edging, I just enjoy fettling!!! Laughing

johnw, what is it with Saloman skis? - are they ideal for ski hire, as the dry slope where I ski mostly has Saloman skis for punters

I found a good posting that ickabodblue, spyderjon and GrahamN had contributed to regarding waxing for dry slopes - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=845336&highlight=waxing#845336. Very useful indeed!
snow report
When it comes to buying ski equipment in, Salomon usually do better deals than other importers when it comes to our slope. That said, we're always restricted as to when we can order stuff as money allocated to us doesn't usually come to us until around April which is a bad time to buy stuff in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sleipnir, also meant to say enjoy your new skis!!
ski holidays
Sleipnir, as snowaddict says, I think they just do a good deal, particularly with rental skis.
Enjoy your new skis (and the fettling Madeye-Smiley ).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy