Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fatal plunge from "Death Trap" Cable Car

Poster: A snowHead
A 33 year old man from the north of France has fallen 25 meters from the Planpraz cable car in Chamonix, France. The man was with 3 friends who were descending around 5pm. A window from the cable car gave way for a reason yet to be determined. The state prosecutor has opened an inquiry. The man's friends have been interviewed by the police. The cable car is currently off limits until the technical inquiry is completed.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 3-03-08 18:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edit for now obvious reasons. Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to the local paper this morning the four men were from the Somme. They were taking the cable car down due to poor (ie non-existent) snow cover on the home piste.

The men had skied in the morning then spent the afternoon in a mountain restaurant. The three snowboarders and a skier then took the cable car down.

A side window opposite the door gave way at 2/3rds distance. When the cabin arrived at the bottom station the men got out. Two of them climbed up the slope under the pylons while the third called the rescue services.

The three men, aged 33-35, were arrested by the police, given alcohol tests then charged with manslaughter. Other theories have not bee rules out but some damage to the man's ski gear had lead the police to think the man was pushed violently against the window which then gave way under his weight. According to the lift company CMB the window should be able to withstand such a shock.

http://www.ledauphine.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crikey! I now assume we watched the heli lifting him away last night - couldn't understand what was going on - the heli looked very uncomfortable hovering so close to the cables. Terrible business.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I supposed this inccident is same as the thread in the news.

The link showed by davidof indicates a pretty modern gondola.

The reported damages on skiing equipment would suggest the window was forcibly broken open.

Under normal circumstance a gondola even without any window would still be safe to ride on, I would have thought. It has to take some "extraordinary effort" to persuade someone to get outside a gondola, unless this someone was experiencing a life threatening situation inside the gondola or under the influence of alcohol or drug.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I doubt there were 2 deaths yesterday. The news report and this one contradict each other. the news thread says it was a teenager however this one says he was 33.

Can somebody please clear it up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think due to the report NZK had, our pisteur friend reported to us before details were given, the behaviour he had witnessed in the gondola led him to believe they had to be teenagers, hoping adults knew better than to behave in the said manner in a lift. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee wrote:
I supposed this inccident is same as the thread in the news.

Erm I assume so, it wasn't on snow news when I posted last night so I didn't see it. Just goes to show one shouldn't jump to conclusions about teenagers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My post on the incident was indeed a result of a report from someone in the gondola behind the one involved and thus was very much 'breaking news' and not verified by any authorities. I shall edit my post accordingly (if I can now it's been moved to 'News').
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My comment about teenagers was aimed at the world in general not your pisteur friend in particular.. anyway the mods can sort it out, give 'em some work.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, They were probably too big to be kids and one does assume grown ups wouldn't act this way. I'm of the opinion they'd probably had a couple of beers. Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am one of those ghastly 'teenagers' and I would never think about pratting about on a ski lift.

less of the taring with the same brush please snowHead .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christopher, Don't forget, all us grown ups were once teenagers, we know the drill. Square. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anther report by BBC

Quote:
Three men are in custody in the resort of Chamonix in the French Alps, after one of their friends fell to his death from a cable car the four were using.

The cause of the fall is unclear, but the men - aged 32 to 35 - had engaged in "rough play", prosecutors said.

Police said two of them had broken a side window after leaning on it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From what i can gather reading french websites, two of the guys (as mentionned before) were messing about and leaning on the window (play fighting?) when it broke or "disjointed" itself, taking the guys with it..
One of the guys luckily got caught/grabbed by the feet by his brother before it was too late.. Shocked
The fourth did not "intervene"...
latest report
There also appear to have been two other deaths if I've understood the radio reports correctly (http://www.rtl.fr/fiche/58834/chute-mortelle-d-une-telecabine-a-chamonix.html ) two parachutists entangled (Gap), one of whom died, and a guide who died in Argentiere when an ice column collapsed. And a big fire in Val D'Isere, but nobody hurt. A bad weekend...
snow conditions
I see Shamonet is reporting the men as "British".

Quote:

What's New in Chamonix?
Chamonix Resort News

You heard it here first.

Man falls to his death from bubble lift in Chamonix
by Caroline Farce | Ski News Reporter | published 2-Mar-2008

Three men (assumed British) are in custody in Chamonix, after one of their friends fell to his death from a Brevent to Planpraz bubble lift the four were using in a shocking incident.

The cause of the fall is unclear, but the men - aged 32 to 35 - had engaged in "rough play", prosecutors said.

Police said two of them had broken a side window after leaning on it.

They say the four childhood friends had shared a meal before using the cable car on Saturday afternoon. Their identities have not been disclosed.

Tests are being carried out to determine whether the men were drunk.

Police say the victim fell from a height of 82ft and died instantly. The Dauphine Libere is reporting that a French family from Picardie who were walking on the Petit Balcon paths under the bubble lift came across the body.

The three men in the lift are being questioned but so far no charges have been laid.

Compagnie du Mont Blanc has said that this is an unprecedented incident that no-one has witnessed before and confirmed that 'A violent force' would have to be used to break the bubble lift plexiglass window.

More details as we get them...

Chamonix police have said the men were not drunk, just to clear this up.
snow conditions
And a British snowboarder on the VB too.
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0818-british-boarder-in-vallee-blanche-crevasse-fall/
Sad
very, very sad.
latest report
If that's 'Chamonet' you're referring to it says "assumed British":

http://www.chamonet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=3125&id_back=1&PHPSESSID=e3229f856b325f075fd04430deec16d6

The basis of the assumption isn't stated.
snow report
pam w wrote:
There also appear to have been two other deaths if I've understood the radio reports correctly (http://www.rtl.fr/fiche/58834/chute-mortelle-d-une-telecabine-a-chamonix.html ) two parachutists entangled (Gap), one of whom died, and a guide who died in Argentiere when an ice column collapsed. And a big fire in Val D'Isere, but nobody hurt. A bad weekend...

Also a guy who died on a motorbike in the Pyrenees driving too fast.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
by Caroline Farce

Caroline Face, on the version I'm looking at
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
davidof wrote:
by Caroline Farce

Caroline Face, on the version I'm looking at

You should get the bifocals fixed Laughing
ski holidays
So based on their actions people have assumed they were teenagers or British Sad
latest report
DB wrote:
So based on their actions people have assumed they were teenagers or British Sad

I think they assumed they were British because the local paper reported they'd been drinking all afternoon.
snow conditions
Quote:

the local paper reported they'd been drinking all afternoon.

but it seems they were wrong on both counts? The reports I saw said he was from the "Nord". Of France, though this was not stated.
ski holidays
This report from France Info has more info, and a map:
http://www.france-info.com/spip.php?article104318&theme=9&sous_theme=11
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
This report from France Info has more info, and a map:
http://www.france-info.com/spip.php?article104318&theme=9&sous_theme=11

Personally I think (as others above have said) that a window should be able to withstand even "horse play" - look at the forces at the les Deux Alpes tempest last summer, imagine a gondola full of people breaking up.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7871957541573673868
ski holidays
Maybe the windows are actually designed to be 'burstable' from the inside in an emergency. The windows of buses seem to be made that way.

This is a really extreme incident. I can't recall anything similar (notwithstanding various gondolas falling off the cable) and have been following skiing for 40 years or more.

That said, you get the occasional bubble with a faulty door that can open during the trip, and my immediate suspicion was that it was the door rather than the window.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, that video is terrifying. I was thinking "wow, lucky there's no-one in there" till I saw them. Shocked
snow report
What I can find always say the men were from north france, i.e. Amiens area..No mention of being british..Alcohol seems a constant as well.. Puzzled
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:
What I can find always say the men were from north france, i.e. Amiens area..No mention of being british..Alcohol seems a constant as well.. Puzzled

You will remember that people from the North have a reputation for being drunkards which is probably why alcohol figures in the reports. However the alcohol tests showed the men had only had a social drink with lunch.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:

This is a really extreme incident. I can't recall anything similar (notwithstanding various gondolas falling off the cable) and have been following skiing for 40 years or more.

Ahh you've a short memory David.

Are you sure bus windows are burstable, as I don't have my bus pass yet I must admit I rarely use public transport but when I have they always seem to have little spiked hammers to break through the windows.

Plus telecabine doors can always be forced open.
snow report
OK, deliver the data!

- number of people falling out of gondola windows
- number of people falling out of gondola doors
- number of drunken 33-year-old British teenagers with dual Northern French nationality base-jumping (without parachutes) from gondolas in Chamonix, after an alcoholic lunch.
ski holidays
the head of the Chamonix lifts, interviewed on the clip I linked above, said he did not know of any similar incident (if I understood correctly, which is not necessarily the case)
ski holidays
I chucked a chicken out of the said lift once, not a live one an oven ready one, i was pi$$ed, 31yrs old and live and work with a guy from the North of France. There that was 'Quite Similar' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Why ? Was it cooked? Toofy Grin
latest report
The three men have been released and the Chamonix police are focussing on the solidity of the windows. (ie the Brevent cable car is a death trap - allegedly).
snow report
davidof wrote:
... the Chamonix police are focussing on the solidity of the windows.

That presumably explains why they are now being removed for use as riot shields.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
davidof wrote:
... the Chamonix police are focussing on the solidity of the windows.

That presumably explains why they are now being removed for use as riot shields.

Not sure they are strong enough... I've just seen the state prosecutor on the TV who looks very unhappy. He confirms what I posted above. They've tested some of the cabins and they are death traps.
ski holidays
When i sit calmy in the said Gondola the solidity of the windows or doors has never crossed my mind. I feel for the guys concerned but my friend was in the cable car behind, they may well have been carrying out their own saftey testing i suppose. Puzzled

I can't see how they fell out of the windows, the windows are two independent ones and constitute a 3rd of the overall door size. A door size of which i at 176cm and medium/slim build struggle to get in through without some slight contortion. Puzzled

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 3-03-08 19:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy