Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas and Help - Canada February 2009 - Which Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of trying Canada for next years feb half term as SP has 10 days and not just a week like this year.

We have been to Panorama so don't really want to go there again. Options that seem to leap out of the pages of the brochures so far are Lake Louise, Banff and Fernie.

Mrs CP will be coming along and is a non skier, we will likely have a couple of friends with us too, one of which will not ski very much. Would prefer to be 'slopeside' ( rules out Banff I guess ) and need swimming pool and jacuzzi style facilities.

Any advice, tips or guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's nothing slopeside in Banff or Lake Louise, or at Jasper SFAICR, apart from the Sunshine Inn at, as you've probably guessed, Sunshine. It is right there on the hill; the drawback is that nothing else is. After skiing, the only living things within several miles will be your fellow guests plus asorted mountain fauna and the only restaurant or bar those of the hotel. Brilliant spot for a few days, I imagine, but you'd go stir crazy sooner rather than later, and Mrs CP would probably hang herself after an hour or two (I believe that you are allowed down the hill and into Banff on parole, as it were).

Access to the skiing is very easy from town in Banff, LL and Jasper, and in their very different ways they're all very pleasant; I'd rather stay in any of them than Panorama, which I didn't care for (liked the skiing, though). If MrsCP won't be skiing, I'd thoroughly recommend Banff. Good town, beautiful spot, great choice of hotels, with spas, pools, etc. But not ski in, ski out.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 2-03-08 16:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond,

Stayed in the Sunshine inn for 2 nights. Fantastic experience, but any longer and you'd get cabin fever!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good advice coming in - thanks.

I will reconsider our options and look into Banff as a base.

Cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP,

For non-skiers, Banff offers by far the best prospects for off-the-hill activities. (Especially those involving the use of the credit card: there's a pretty reasonable selection of shops. If that's not enough, there are all-day bus excursions to Edmonton, which boasts a massive shopping mall - mind you, there's b*gger-all else to do in Edmonton). There are also wildlife excursions, dogsledding trips, sightseeing (the gondola up Sulfur Mountain provides great views, and if you ski at Lake Louise, then your non-skiing friends can spend some time at the Chateau Lake Louise and enjoy the views of the Lake and the Victoria Glacier: also, the bus ride is worth it for the views alone) and wallowing in the hot springs (the spa facilities at the Banff Springs hotel come well recommended). For the more adventurous, you can get taken off snowmobiling (but outside the boundaries of the National Park) and maybe people would like to try X-country skiing: a good way to get introduced to sliding on snow, without the intimidating steepness of the slopes, or the need to buckle yourself into big clunky boots (also, this might be an insidious means of persuading your OH to think again).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whistler has heaps of slopeside accommodation, lots to do for non-skiers, and extensive terrain. For non-skier, there or Banff are obvious choices. Maybe Big White too - small but fun village with non-skiing activities available, but not much in way of shopping.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy wrote:
richmond,

Stayed in the Sunshine inn for 2 nights. Fantastic experience, but any longer and you'd get cabin fever!!

We talked about doing that, but never did. What's the accomodation and grub like? I had lunch there once or twice, which was pretty good IIRC.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second whistler. Went there in feb for the first time and absolutely loved it.

Plenty of slope side accomodation too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whistler is now firmly on the list.

Any feedback on Fernie?

TIA
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is no (or little) slope side accom at Fernie. Fernie is a largish town based on mining and forestry. The ski resort is a 5 min drive from the edge of town. Nothing to do in Fernie, in fact I found it to be an 'ugly' town. Not a ski resort town at all, more a normal town with a ski resort close by.
Great skiing though.
I live in Whistler, so I recommend coming here, great place, plenty of on and off hill activities to do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big White is my favourite in Canada. You should be able to fly direct into Kelowna from London next winter.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wbsr wrote:
There is no (or little) slope side accom at Fernie. Fernie is a largish town based on mining and forestry. The ski resort is a 5 min drive from the edge of town. Nothing to do in Fernie, in fact I found it to be an 'ugly' town. Not a ski resort town at all, more a normal town with a ski resort close by.
Great skiing though.
I live in Whistler, so I recommend coming here, great place, plenty of on and off hill activities to do.

There's a lot of slopeside accomodation, I live in Fernie and don't have a visa this year - I'm still finding stuff to keep myself entertained Very Happy I don't think it's particularly stunning but downtown and especially 2nd ave are really well done and definately not ugly. I hear Disneyland is a bit corporate and fake Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fernie is more than pleasant enough and has a laid back, friendly atmosphere. In total this season, I will have spent 3.5 weeks here (staying in the town itself) and I've got no complaints Very Happy As DaveC, points out, there is plenty of slopeside accommodation...plus the snow is about a third the density of that Whistler stuff wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice - decision has been made and we have booked to go to Fernie staying in the Timberline Lodges next February.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP, good for you, just back from Lizard Creek Lodge - loved it and Fernie.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy