Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has skiing become too easy? Can it 'ignite the flames of passion'?

Poster: A snowHead
Roger Marolt makes some interesting points in this article in The Aspen Times. It's worth a read:
http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20080229/COLUMN/743450404
Quote:
In its heyday, skiing definitely had an object to it. It was to become proficient through patience, practice and conditioning so as to be able to tackle increasingly difficult terrain. Not everyone was an expert. The sport took years to master. Skiing was as arduous as it was adventurous. Many parts of Ajax, if not the entire mountain, were off-limits for vast numbers of skiers until they became capable.

Skiing was born a sport of technology, though, and the attraction of making it easier has resulted in simplification to the point of eliminating athletic purpose, reducing it to an enjoyable diversion. There’s nothing wrong with leisurely entertainment, but can it ignite the flames of passion in the soul?

Marolt goes on to assert that "nearly every skier can handle any run", that technology has 'levelled the slopes'.
"Who can’t carve a turn?" he wonders. "Who can’t float through crud?"

Is he correct to assert that skiing - unlike golf, tennis or cycling - has lost the challenge and differential of achievement ... because our machines have made it too easy?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I'm not bored with skiing yet (about 5 trips) and from what I've seen you can make it as difficult for yourself as you want.
I don't have the option of skiing every day for an entire winter season, so a bit of technological advancement allows me to enjoy skiing with only a few weeks experience.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David

For once an interesting topic. Well done.

Better tools definitely make the job easier but to contrast skiing with golf, tennis & cycling & imply that they haven't had the same technical assisted progression is a bit rich.

Oversize clubs, composite rackets, 10 inch travel mountain bikes all make possible in the sports what were previously impossible. Technology just enables the boundaries to be pushed further - into the backcountry, dropping 20fters on a mountain bike etc.

The real way to level things out IMO might be to "ban the brutal grooming" or at least reduce it. Nothing would slow down blue run speed- heroes more that having to build up their skills on less constistently finished slopes. But then no res0rt catering to the leisure skier will be that crazy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, I thought that was a fascinating article, but am probably not best placed to anwer your question, since I can't actually carve a turn that well, and certainly can't float through crud. However - and I've no idea about the technologies of golf or cycling - Marolt may not be correct about differentiating between skiing and tennis. 'Improvements' in the manufacture of tennis rackets have transformed that game at every level: in brief, the professional game is a lot more boring to watch and the amateur game is easier to play. But, whatever technological improvements have occurred, surely all of skiing, golf, tennis and cycling can be enjoyed at many levels of competence: they all remain sports (with all that implies) for some, and leisure activities for others. There are many threads on this very forum which attest to that distinction in people's minds. And is this anything new? I can remember my father describing skiing in the Arlberg in the 1920s and it sounded as though a lot of fairly incompetent people were having a pretty shambolic but enjoyable time messing about on the slopes; at the same time, others were indeed trying to "become proficient through patient, practice and conditioning." The two different experiences have always co-existed - similarly in tennis, golf and cycling - this is nothing new.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
The largest contributing factor to the decline of skiing is that the sport was consciously changed to accommodate people who didn’t ski...

Souns like the rantings of a bitter old man. It was hard for me, so it ought to be hard for you. Why do we want newcomers anyway?

Accusation rejected from this quarter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You've also got to put in context the fact that the guy is in Aspen, practically the home of pampered skiing. He bemoans the fact that it is accessible to the less able but probably conveniently ignores the fact that he makes a healthy living through the "industry". Obviously ski bumming in Aspen will be an expensive choice.

I don't see a shortage of ski bums anywhere I go to ski, maybe with a bit more cash in their pocket but with the passion to jack in their day to day for sustained skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am not so sure about being too easy..depends what they ski, but mostly I think fatbob is spot on.

I think more hills should be basher-free... ..but I mean whole resorts, but that is not so likely to happen.

I also think it is quite possible to be a bit jaded about skiing...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I look down on a busy piste from a chairlift, it strikes me that, despite the advances in technology, the overall standard of skiing is no better than it was twenty years ago.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, Why not answer your own question? I would love to see your comparisons of modern skis you have used in difficult terrain, compared to those you used in the 70s.

Patch, This year I was astonished to see how many people were now prepared to have a pop at La Grave, in comparison to what I saw 20 odd years ago. Equally, black runs are busier than they were (witness the recent video of the Tunnel, admittedly full of skiers who looked as though they wished they weren't there).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 1-03-08 10:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, I agree with JT, you are spot on.

IMHO, "nu skool skis" do 2 things. They make turn initiation easier - thus moving all the problems further along the turn. They make "off piste" in some conditions (i.e.powder) easier, if not easy.

DG's selected quotes "nearly every skier can handle every run", etc. are delightful and complete poo-poo. The author is clearly living in a different world.

I can distinguish an expert from a beginner generally by watching how they hold their skis. Stationary generally but dynamically definitely. Patch, you're also quite right. However, I think that speeds have increased with no increase in control. This is not a good thing!

And, piste skiing people seem less inclined to try the tougher things - skiing bumps well (IMHO the mark of a truly good skier), skiing dodgy off piste (not dodgy avvy wise I hasten to add). However, what I think is very odd is that he seems to have ignored the massive increase of people touring, esp. in the US. Walking for your turns, skinny soft skis, silly soft comfy boots, dodgy conditions...surely that's not easy in any regard?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If it was all that easy, would there be so many injuries?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can't break your your leg serving a tennis ball and you don't usually rupture an ACL putting a golf ball. Technology does help us but it 'll never replace technique or ability. The fact that loads of punters can survive a black run doesn't mean that skiing a black run
stylishly is no longer a challenge.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 1-03-08 11:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From a personal point of view, I don't think I ski any terrain more difficult now than I did towards the end of the straight ski era. I suspect there is still as much in the head as there ever was and going above a certain steepness for any individual still reveals the same psychological reservations, though the skis are maybe a little easier to ski on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith, Why not answer your own question? I would love to see your comparisons of modern skis you have used in difficult terrain, compared to those you used in the 70s.

I'd say that any comparison of the skis of the 70s vis-a-vis those of today is nothing compared to a comparison of hardware (particularly boots) of the 1950s/1960s to the post-plastic era from the late 1960s/early 1970s.

The major technological revolutions of ski equipment - boot construction, binding engineering and ski lamination/design - had all been completed by the mid-1970s.

I think it's natural that the fierce commercial rivalry between equipment makers has resulted in gear that is much more user friendly, to make skiing easier. It's all consumer-led, and the consumer can't be dictated to.

The deeper philosophical question that skiing has to address is the artificial modification of mountain topography and its snow cover. I don't know of any other sport that has demanded this attack on nature's bounty. Whether one looks at it from an environmental perspective or an 'ease of skiing' perspective ... it's gone way too far, in my view.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, Interesting points - I am not a climber (tried it - no good at it) but there has been a real discussion about the ethics of climbing I believe. Free vs fixed routes, use of hardwear, solo vs non-solo etc, and some of that debate has been about the effects on the environment.

but be interested to hear from someone who actually knows anything about that.

As regards the article referenced in the OP - it is another sad old git saying "it was better in my day" isn't it? The challenge is still out there. I have only been skiing since 1985, but haven't run out of challenges yet. And as David Murdoch identifies - there has been a huge diversification of the way people slide - with accompanying ethics/challenges. Just look at the whole US free-the-heel/free-the-mind movement.
latest report
Buggered if I find it easy. Do I need some more technology ? rolling eyes
snow report
David Goldsmith, something is still going on with skis. My Missions are 89mm at the minimum width point - yet they are sufficiently torsionally rigid for me to feel confident on them on steep icy slopes. It would be interesting if you would compare actual examples of skis you have used - ancient and modern. I agree with your comment about boot construction - not sure about bindings. I think they have prgressively improved - so maybe no design revolution - but I have heard there maybe something better in the offing concerning side release.
snow report
I learned to ski in the first year that plastic boots were available so have always been relatively pampered. I agree with a lot of what DM and DG say.

To expand a bit on DM's points modern skis (e.g. post 1995) can help people advance in some circumstances - making turn initiation a bit easier can aid progress and effort elsewhere but they can also hinder mastery.

I'm not in favour of ultra fat skis for European skiing - they may make sense in bottomless American powder but make little sense in the mixed Euro conditions we usually get. It is hard to think of day during the 2008 winter where fat skis were a an advantage except for people who want to ski on top of thin refreeze crusts.

Still there is a complete revolution between skiing a 210cm straight ski in a 50 degree couloir and a 172cm mid-fat waisted ski. I see people doing routes that were once considered super human... the only problem, the people who did the first descents could ski whereas some of today's "extemists" are barely competent. Probably why so few of the pioneers actually died doing extreme routes whereas today falls and death are more common. Like I say, it makes it easier but stops people becoming excellent skiers.

The other big revolution in French skiing has been resort run terraforming. The CdA resorts are now a series of boring, evenly graded runs a bit like the skiing you get in the snowdome. People have to find moguls or go off piste for a bit of a challenge. Or go to secret spots untouched by the Parisien bean counters of the CdA. The run grading also completely trashes the mountains. Arc 2000 is like an open cast quarry in the summer and Flaine is probably even worse these days.
ski holidays
Yes [re stoatsbrother's points] I can't see that the back-country magic of skiing has diminished.

But I should think that at least 95% of skiing is done on patrolled and controlled runs, so the homogenisation of this terrain is a key factor and has been very striking since I began. I recall the vast majority of pistes in the 1960s and 1970s having really individual character and challenge.

Then the grooming and smoothing began.

It's possible to ski ruts and bumps, avoiding rocks, tree roots, troughs and other facets of nature. It means the pistes are tackled with a lot more technical skill, probably a good bit slower, and with more thought and discussion.

We could start to outlaw the Kassbohrer Pistenbully on several grounds, including the above.
ski holidays
At £28 a flight to Geneva what kind of frame of passion can it possibly ignite?

Shouldn't compare the folks in the old days with todays' condition of ease of transportation, massive choices of resorts, cheap last minute deals, low cost flights........

If one is able to practise it regularly then skiing will be easy.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Still there is a complete revolution between skiing a 210cm straight ski in a 50 degree couloir and a 172cm mid-fat waisted ski. I see people doing routes that were once considered super human... the only problem, the people who did the first descents could ski whereas some of today's "extemists" are barely competent.

I'd partly agree with that, but remember that the first wave of short skis - prompted by the invention of 'hot-dog' freestyle skiing in the early-mid 1970s - led to most punters using skis between 160cm and 180cm in length in the mid to late 1970s. Most people took an overnight 20cm cut in ski length at that time.

Those 'compact' skis didn't have the width and enhanced sidecut of today's models, but they pioneered the revolution in ease of off-piste skiing three decades ago.
ski holidays
I know a skier that has learned to ski the piste on 98mm waist skis, did he make it easy for himself? Cool
snow conditions
I don't know. How wide was the piste?
ski holidays
The first wave of short skis may have occured in the 70's but I don't think they really caught on. When I started skiing in the 80's most adult males were on 190-205's at a guess other than during the early learning period.
snow report
It's an interesting article, King Canute would be proud, but I can understand the point he's aiming at.

Modern skis make skiing easier, I don't think anyone would argue with that. And thereby the achievement has been downgraded and the time to get 'there' reduced.

At which point I'd metaphorically shrug my shoulders. So what did you expect.
snow conditions
ABS and power steering has made driving easier, does that mean F1 is non the less impressive?
ski holidays
T Bar, you're absolutely right. There was a reaction against 1970s 'compacts' and ski lengths went up again. There was also the rear-entry boot revolution, which dominated the 1980s. Again there was a reaction (more industry-led that time) and people went back to 4-clips.

The original compact skis had widths and sidecuts similar to long skis. Elan and Kneissl took a fresh look at short skis - giving them more sidecut - in the early 1990s. Fat skis came in at around the same time. Then the two design trends merged.
ski holidays
If people find skiing too easy they aren't trying hard enough. I think the author of that article needs to buy something for his very bad case of sour grapes that he is suffering from.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, no, I disagree with that, and I think his writing is significantly more perceptive than 'sour grapes'. Much of the natural challenge of skiing has been 'blanded out'

There shouldn't be the need to artificially seek a challenge that doesn't really naturally exist in the scheme of things.
snow report
David Goldsmith, you seem reluctant to compare a modern ski you have skied on to one of 25 years ago; perhaps technology has moved on more that you think. I agree with your point about the modern trend to over-grooming. It was quite an experience to ski La Grave in a well tracked state; even when there was no powder, it was most enjoyable. Maybe the fear in other resorts is that on narrow pistes (as opposed to the unconfined runs at LG) the snow would get too worn or mogully for many skiers to cope with. Even so, I think modern grooming tends to be excessive.
snow report
David Goldsmith, Sorry mate but that doesn't make sense. It simply raises the bar as to what is a challenge and for who. This guy can stick with his chosen equipment and still enjoy the challenge others may choose a different weapon. It's still sliding across the snow, in control. It's all about perspective. As indeed you are communicating here with a keyboard and the 'Net rather than by scroll and fountain pen and a million carrier pigeons.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
rob@rar, no, I disagree with that, and I think his writing is significantly more perceptive than 'sour grapes'. Much of the natural challenge of skiing has been 'blanded out'

There shouldn't be the need to artificially seek a challenge that doesn't really naturally exist in the scheme of things.

Plenty of natural challenge for me this morning, including snow conditions, terrain I choose, the line I took, the speed I skied at, the double rum in my morning hot chocolate, etc, etc. I think it was just a case of sour grapes, nothing perceptive about it.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
David Goldsmith, Sorry mate but that doesn't make sense. It simply raises the bar as to what is a challenge and for who. This guy can stick with his chosen equipment and still enjoy the challenge others may choose a different weapon. It's still sliding across the snow, in control. It's all about perspective. As indeed you are communicating here with a keyboard and the 'Net rather than by scroll and fountain pen and a million carrier pigeons.

Exactly right.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith, you seem reluctant to compare a modern ski you have skied on to one of 25 years ago; perhaps technology has moved on more that you think.

Well, skis have become progressively floatier and carvier, but that's one of the points he's making. As I say, it's consumer-led and 'natural' in that sense. The blanding of mountain terrain and surface is anything but natural (it's legal, but is it legitimate?)
snow report
rob@rar,

But as you're posting can we assume you're one on the punters who gives up at mid-day because they've run out of challenge. wink

BTW the main reason for this is that faster lifts mean that going bell to bell is significantly harder on the legs than in the "good old days".
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
The deeper philosophical question that skiing has to address is the artificial modification of mountain topography and its snow cover. I don't know of any other sport that has demanded this attack on nature's bounty. Whether one looks at it from an environmental perspective or an 'ease of skiing' perspective ... it's gone way too far, in my view.

and
Quote:
It's possible to ski ruts and bumps, avoiding rocks, tree roots, troughs and other facets of nature. It means the pistes are tackled with a lot more technical skill, probably a good bit slower, and with more thought and discussion.

This is a very rare moment for me - I find myself violently agreeing with David Goldsmith.

I think that the article is wrong to criticise modern equipment for making skiing too easy. But very much on-piste skiing is bland and tedious, and made that way deliberately and unnecessarily. Many European resorts - especially the large ones that specialise in high capacity, high revenue ski-motorways - would be very much improved if they looked across the Atlantic. Over there it's common to find that the resort does little more than thin the vegetation and remove lower tree branches, even on blue runs. The hazards that David mentions - ruts, bumps, rocks, tree roots and troughs are present everywhere and, for an inexpert skier like me, often cause me to trip. They also increase my fun immeasurably, develop my technical skills and, by forcing me to slow down, reduce the liklihood of me sustaining a serious injury.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I do see your point about the homogenisation of the skiing experience to suit a perceived mass market requirement, but some of the more recently developed/expanded resorts in Canada eg Fernie, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke to name but three would argue that the market can also supply more intense terrain with challenges, but with the safety of proper patrolling etc.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 1-03-08 12:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, No that just means we got the design wrong in the first place, was skiing designed to be as hard as possible? If so we should have started skiing by tying branches of trees to our feet, maybe we did, in which case this guy's missed the point as to that which he skied with was already making things easy. Case closed.

Next. Cool
latest report
Interesting. I certainly still don't find it easy to do hard stuff, and hope to continue improving. But as for "passion", Snowheads has plenty of evidence that "discovering skiing" is as exciting as ever, and it is available to far more people than were able to join the Kandahar club between Oxbridge and the Guards.

In commercial terms I think there's scope for the entire industry to look not at the gnarly, extreme, powder in yer face, get the cool gear, side of skiing but in the other direction, at making skiing accessible and attractive to the huge and virtually untapped market of people with vast sums to spend and indefinite leisure time. Old people. Modern gear and user-friendly lifts, impeccable grooming may have their downsides, as above, but they do potentially open up the sport to plenty of people who have never skied, and who now think it's so gnarly and young and cool and technical that it's not for them.

Elsewhere there's a thread on how to flog the end of season. Most resorts are well under capacity in April. Ideal time for the old who now, I believe, are by far the biggest spenders on travel. They won't clog up the slopes at half term, either. They will have a "winter holiday", with some skiing.

Yes, I thought the author of the article sounded like an embittered old whatsit, too.

There are similarities, by the way, in the revolution in windsurfing hardware. Modern starter boards are so easy anybody could learn. It was much harder in my day, when I had one of only a handful of boards in Barbados....
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what about slope grooming? In saying there is too much, I do think the article author and DG have a case.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy