Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Claviere or Alpe d'Huez with beginners & small kids?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone,

I wondered if anyone could help?

I am trying to book for Feb 2009 (half term) for 2 families. Me & my husband have been a good few times, but are going with another couple who have only skied once (last week with us in Flaine). Between us we will have two six year olds & a 4 year old (who again have done 1 week ski kindergarten last week).

We loved Flaine (in the Clubhotel) as it ticked all the boxes - great skiing for all of us, hotel with kids club & evening club, & really near to the slopes, but typically the hotel is full!

I have looked at the Crystal Club hotels & the only ones with availability seem to be Claviere & ADH. Claviere looks better in terms of proximity to slopes, & is considerably cheaper, but I have read that it's not brilliant for beginners. I'm really more concerned about the kids as it would be lovely to have some easy greens for them? Also is Claviere a snow sure resort? ADH is a little further from the lifts, but obviously high with a greater variety of runs.

The other option would be Flaine at Easter (3rd April), but am concerned that we may be disappointed with the snow.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Kate
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kate0,
Claviere at resort level is not a lot lower than A d'H is north facing and the col Montgenevre has a reputation for attracting snow so I would be suprised if the snow is likely to be worse. I can't remember what its nursery slopes are like. In feb half term with small children I would rather go for a small Italian resort than a major French one from the crowds factor but have no experience of A d'H at this time so may be wrong.

Flaine has a good reputation for late season skiing so I would not write it off on account of the snow. (Kids often do well in Easter warmth.) The aesthetics of the architecture are something else though. Toofy Grin

PS Welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claviere has brilliant snow even at the worst of times ie last year.

It is not a begginer resort I'm afraid. It has one drag with 1 begginer slope, there are not many pistes to progress onto for skiiers in their first week unless they progressed rather quickly.

I wouldnt reccomned it, Montgenevre is a much better begginers resort with about 6 nursery slopes and 2 runs from the top of the moutain suitable for complete begginers. if you can find accomodation there. If you want any help ask. Esf ski school at montgenevre is excellent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Claviere has brilliant snow even at the worst of times ie last year.

A rather sweeping statement! I don't believe there is any ski resort anywhere which always has brilliant snow. Sorry.

As you know you like Flaine it might be worth looking at other things there - other operators, maybe. I'd agree that Flaine might be fine in early April too - I've skied there in early April, just for a day, and had good snow, and it would probably be both cheaper and a lot less crowded. But snow is the luck of the draw, obviously. Or maybe Easter somewhere with higher skiing, such as Val Thorens?

Can't help with Claviere or ADH.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kate0, there are not a lot of greens and blues at Claviere. so you would have to go over to Montgenevre for some variety. There are blue runs there and back but it may take you a while with little ones. Once in Montgenevre there are plenty of easy wide greens and blues plus some reds running parallel. To be honest I would chose to be based in Montgenevre rather than Clavier in your situation.

Sorry don't know about ADH.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, stop being so pedantic! I was trying to prove a point.

There is normally always enough good snow to ski from halfway through December to the end of April. Last year (a very bad year for the whole of the alps) the majority of pistes were still open the last week of April.

I agree with MarkBe, Montgenevre is the place to base yourself with begginers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher,
As a matter of interest how many times have you skied there? I have driven passed on several occasions when the snow has looked pretty ropey, though I think the snow record is probably better than average.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, admitadly I have only been twice to Montgenevre. Ive been to the area 6 times before. But I look at the webcam everyday(geek alert). Ive learnt that the area gets weather systems funneled over the col and subsequently gets a good supply of snow. It normally always has better snow than Sauze or Sestriere, even though sestriere has better snow. This is because of the aspect of the slopes.

The south side can look ropey from the resort at times, but they are well mantained and the majority of pistes are on the north facing slopes side. At the moment like the rest of the alps a little snow wouldnt go a miss, but the area is in great condition.

evidence:

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/mtgenevre/interface.php?pk_interface=57&m=images&r=panoramique
http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/mtgenevre/interface.php?pk_interface=129&m=images&r=panoramique
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher,

When the weather systems are coming from the south west Montgenevre/Claviere benefit considerably and are indeed often in better shape than the resorts further into Italy which lie in a slight rain shadow.

In some years though the more northern French alps get more snow and Montgenevre can miss out and look fairly poor. In 2000 for instance the skiing was in very poor shape, with some of the worst conditions I have seen on piste in mid March. I have driven passed on many occasions as Serre Che is a favourite and have often had a days skiing up there. In my experience the snow record is pretty good but probably not one of the absolute top resorts. I like it a lot though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kate0, If you can hang on for 2 weeks I'm going to Claviere to the Club hotel!! for us our 4th week and our friends 1st time, I've had mixed reports regarding suitability for beginners and as far as I'm concerned all beginners are different, some of our friends spent their 1st 2 weeks on nursery slopes with drag lifts and progressed ever so slowly, we spent our 1st day ever skiing going up on a chair lift and coming down a very busy blue Shocked I'm a coward and I did it!!!
I will let you know how we get on!! fingers crossed it will be fine!! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whoops - I seem to have lost my last message

Thanks to everyone for the quick & informative replies!

Dpoes anyone know how long it would take to ski to Montegenevre & what type of runs you'd need to be capable of?

Feefee - I hope you have a great holiday in 2 weeks - please do post a report as I'm defintely leaning towards Claviere (it still has 1/2 term availability which is good). Know what you mean re beginners - my husband was on Italian reds after day 5, yet my sister still ski's mainly blues after many years of skiing!

Thanks again

Kate
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the issue with ADH is accomodation close to the slopes...if you can find that then youll be good to go.. you want to be as close as possible either to the main DMC lift "1er Troncon" on the piste map or the bottom of bergers. Its the bit in green on the piste maps.

ADH is a fab venue for mixed groups including beginners, intermediates as there are lots of easy greens in the bowl above the village, as well as an easy wide blue served by a big bubble (if you get off at the intermediate station). If you get off at the top then it is a bit narrower and can be a bit like the m25 on a friday afternoon.

As to kid friendliness - then the issue is the location of the accomodation as its a bit of a sprawler, with some of the accomodation being 10 minutes walk from the nearest lift or bus... which is pretty useless for kids I would imagine...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kate0, http://www.montgenevre.com/fileadmin/HIVER/photos_tn/2_station/domaine/monts_de_la_lune/FA_07_08/plan-mdl-optimise.jpg

To get to Montgenevre from Claviere you need to be able to ski red's. They are not particularly hard reds though, one bit is slightly narrow.

To get to the main area it requires 2 chairlifts Col Beouf and Tremplin. It only takes about 20 minutes to get to the top of Tremplin from Claviere. At the top of Tremplin your in the heart of the resort. You can then ski along a flatish green down to the gondola or ski down a short red to get to Le Brousset chairlift, then you can pretty much get to any part of the north facing slopes of Montgenevre.

To get back to Claviere requires going along the cross country run for less able skiiers from the bottom of Tremplin. The track has some gradient so it doesnt require excessive poll work.

or for more able skiiers, take the Rocher d'Aigle chairlift up and then ski down quite a difficult red or a black if your feeling adventorous at the top into Italy they are both piste 35. The red is steep, but very wide and it isnt very long.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy