Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - question about run 42 schweigmatten

Poster: A snowHead
It may be a little early to be planning next year's trip but we are thinking of booking a place out of Zermatt near Furi village. What I'd love to know is how "red" is the Schweigmatten red run (42) (and 39/41) down from Riffelberg to Furi? Our kids coped easily with the reds in Wengen on their 2nd week of skiing but subsequently struggled with the La Plagne reds - seemed to be quite a difference in grading. As we'd be skiing home every day on this run, thought I'd better see if any snowHead could give me an idea about how taxing or otherwise this run is! Thanks. Am working my way through the 3182 Zermatt entries on snowHead Very Happy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hard to say as some SH have already pointed out that one slope can be easy but difficult for another.

What I can say is the grading in Switzerland is more consistent than others and there is tendency the red runs are slightly harder than those in France generally, but some French red can be more difficult especially with crowds.

The Run 39/41/42 does not appear to be difficult as the route has several restaurants. The upper part is also running parallel to the train so it is quite stunning. This route has snow cannons and so the condition should be well controlled but you do get bumpy rides if the artificial snow has been accumulated but not yet leveled off. It can of course be avoided if you take the Riffelberg gondola back to Furi.

I think if you take one kid at a time to ski down you should be able to manage it. It doesn't stand out to be a difficult red to me but it is a busy route so I recommend your attempt to take place while the piste isn't busy.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 1-03-08 12:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AW, I've skied in Zermatt for about 3 weeks but it's 4 years since I was last there so hopefully someone who's skied there recently and has a fresher memory will respond. However I don't recall any hairy bits on these runs down. They are ok. But they are red I would say and reason being there are a few sections which may be a bit steeper though wide enough and a few sections which would be a bit narrower but less steep. There's a narrow bit through a tunnel which can get a bit crowded at the end of the day. It is busy generally down this run at the end of the day and this makes it harder. But if this is where you want to go I wouldn't be put off by this factor because Zermatt is a fantastic place, my favourite, and staying at Furi whilst you'd be out of town you are right in the thick of some fantastic restaurants there....don't get me started on Zermatt's mountain restaurants Laughing And the other thing if you are out skiing the Gornergrat blues with the kids you can always come back down to Furi on the gondola (lift marked Q on the map) or the train down to Landtunnel and then you've only got a short ski back to Furi. So you could check it out and if you thought it wasn't ok for the kids that's your get out. There is only one truly hairy bit on a red in Zermatt that I recall and it is off one to the right of the Furgsattel chair looks like 71 but I am not certain, this is otherwise a great run but there was a section of maybe only less than 100m but it was steep, narrow, really churned up snow, icy patches and it's full of people standing or fallen on it trying to pick their way down. Wasn't my idea of fun this section!
HTH a bit snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AW, I don't remember it being particularly difficult - quite a nice run actually.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, sarah, laundryman, thanks very much for those replies - sounds as if we'd be OK. I remember Les crozats in la Plagne (now a black) being a bit challenging in parts - sounds like that 71 run - so thought I'd better check we weren't booking to be next to a scary run! sarah, our plan is to book an apartment on top of a restaurant! saikee, very good point about the restaurants - obviously they will do better business if the runs to them aren't tricky. Getting very excited by the prospect of Zermatt - only 11 1/2 months to go! Having skied France at half term for the last 2 years I wonder if Switzerland is as bad for half term crowds (not that we can do anything about it)? I see the schools have staggered "sport" holidays.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AW, In my view Zermatt in our half term does not seem to be overly busy, I guess it doesn't attract as many Brits as the french resorts. Also the 2 half terms I skied there did not clash with swiss holidays so it was really quite good. Best restaurant in Furi is Simi - go there and have the hot stone thing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AW, We went to Zermatt at half-term three years ago and we did very little queuing, so you should be ok. Don't miss the Zum See restaurant on your way back to the resort, the pastries are excellent and my son wanted to go there every day. You will have to book if you want lunch there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, geepee, it's sounding better and better! Looking forward to the food... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AW, I will be in Zermatt in 3 weeks, so we will make a point of skiing the Schweigmatten red run and report back to you. I can't remember it from three years ago. Anything else that you want us to check out ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing half term is a better bet in most Swiss, Austrian and even Italian (away from the French border) resorts.

The French tend to stick with their own resorts and so at least half the crowds disappears if they don't go outside France.

Also many Swiss children learn skiing at local small resorts which are cheaper and not crowdy. This leaves the big resorts relatively crowd-free.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee, that is so kind, thanks a lot. Can't think of anything else yet - Zermatt sounds and looks so wonderful that as long as we get our location right it will be great. It's good to hear half term shouldn't be as crowded as France. I really appreciate everyone's helpful replies - snowheads always comes up trumps.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AW, I've skied that run (and mountainbiked it in summer) countless times, having skied Zermatt since the 1960s. It's a true red, with a steepish stretch a few hundred metres down from Riffelalp. Snowmaking was installed down there about three years ago, so I guess that keeps it in better condition. It's not a particularly difficult run, but testing.

Personally I'd stay a lot closer to the resort, as you're really out of it near Furi (evenings could be tricky, as I don't think you'd have any public transport), but if seclusion appeals it's not bad. If you want to pitch any alternative locations I can advise further. The Steinmatte and Schluhmatten areas of Zermatt would probably give you well-priced accommodation but would be much more accessible, via ski buses etc. Winkelmatten is another area, but that's a bit less convenient and more hilly.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AW, Just back from Zermatt and we checked out the run a promised. Snow conditions were excellent hence the run did not pose any problems. I imagine that with icy conditions it could be a little hairy specially late in the day when it is busy as there are a few narrow sections to contend with. In summary it should not pose you too many problems in good skiing conditions, but you have the option of taking the Gondola down if conditions deteriorate. I would have to agree with David Goldsmith, regarding staying at Furi. There is not much there for evening entertainment
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee, thanks for that! Glad you had good snow - Zermatt looks lovely; can't wait to go there. As for evening entertainment, ours consists of cooking/eating and then sleeping - our younger son was unconscious by 7pm on the first day this year! He has fallen asleep in restaurants in the past - think he overdoes the skiing Smile . So that aspect of Furi wouldn't be a problem - only problem would be access to food shopping, though our elder son is a keen chef and a part-time skier so could do that job... We'll see. I do quite like the idea of being ski-in ski-out - been spoiled by France.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AW, I would agree with the general run of comments. That run is truly red, but not especially difficult. The top half I would say was easier than the bottom, especially if conditions deteriorate. If conditions are bad, there are a couple of (short and not steep) stretches of potentially icy path through the trees toward the bottom and the wider steeper sections can get very hard. I would also say that Furi would be very quiet place to stay; part of the joy of being in Zermatt for all ages is the buzz of the town, even if you are not going to indulge in the nightlife.

sarah, the tricky bit of the red off the Furgsattel has been regraded black this year - and a bypass stretch of truly red piste has been added to skirt round it for those who don't fancy it.
snow conditions
Whatever you do - don't go to Zermatt. What a load of rubbish. If you actually ski or snowboard, Zermatt is not for you. If you swank around in designer labels and ski 2 runs a day with a long expensive lunch in between then Zermatt is right up your street. I've been skiing for 20 years and have over 50 weeks of skiing under my belt and I've never been so disappointed in a resort. Zermatt is living on past glories - oh and the fact that there's a pointy mountain at the end of the valley!! It takes an age to get there and it's not even a pretty place - it's grey and dull. We had good snow while we were there but even that didn't make up for it. The lifts are incredibly slow to open and then close if there's the slightest puff of wind. All this means every tourist is skiing in about one quarter of the whole area. Finally if you do ignore my advice and still decide to go then please, please avoid Reihold Perren Sports - they have the most expensive ski hire prices in the world, and that was with 10% off becuase my wife was having ski lessons with the ski school down stairs. The place is one big rip-off. Use the Intersport shop instead. If you thnk this this a rant - you're right! L'Espace Killy is 1000 times better!!!!
latest report
philhitch, It's not just a rant, but it fails to have the courtesy of saying that it's your opinion and accepting that your experience may have been unfortunate, although I would have hoped that with your skiing years you may have been able to anticipate a few of the things that upset you:

it takes a long time to get there- well it's location isn't secret.
It's grey and dull - well the weather can account for that as well as its location nestled in a valley, which I don't think is secret either
You didn't ask how much ski hire would be before commiting to it?

When people are asking for objective advice, it seems a bit inconsiderate to be so dogmatic. Given that it is undeniably rated by many other people, do you think you may have been unlucky?
ski holidays
philhitch, putting the same post in different threads is basically spamming. Expect other people to think you are a plonker and your opinon worthless...
snow report
We didn't stay in Zermatt, but staying in Cervinia just before Easter we skied there quite a few days. We used the run down from Riffelberg to Furi several times in the afternoon on the way back towards Cervinia. The top half until the trees is quite easy, after that, when it was mild it was very cut and bumpy, with some steepish sections, and some narrow bits (not at the same time!), fairly tricky for a red. Later in the week when it was well below freezing it was a cruise! Other runs down to Furi are from Schwarzee, where the red has a a steep bit, and a long flat run through the trees, and direct from Furg there is a superb black, which in good conditions was pretty straightforward. In general we thought the skiing at Zermatt was excellent, lots of interesting pistes, good infrastructure, and despite what others have said about connections between areas we found no difficulty in going from one end to the other and back in a day, even starting and finishing in Cervinia.
snow conditions
I live and work in Zermatt so know the run intimately. The run isnt too bad but there are some very narrow path sections, they are very gentle gradient wise though. So if you don't mind skiing a few sections like that you'll be ok. The last pitch down to Furi is the best though, nice width and perfect gradient to let the skis go!
latest report
philhitch, Welcome to snowHead 's

It is a shame you did not have a good holiday. The pointy mountain makes up for a lot of the tedious things that Zermatt does indeed have. The ONLY gripe with the place I have is convenience. From leaving the hotel it can take a while (45 - 60 mins) to actually start skiing. That said it is a beautiful place and makes up for the morning hassle with the view.

The prices are on the higher side, I am suprised that a man of your "experience" did not know this! However the prices from my recollection are probably on a par with Val d'Isere (L'Espace Killy). Personally I prefer the skiing of L'Espace Killy, the resort of Zermatt has a magical appeal that can not be matched by La Daille! wink wink .

philhitch, Cheer up and have fun.
ski holidays
Bigmountain, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy