Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to buy new boots.

I currently have a pair of Nordica GTS10 flex 80-90, this is my third season skiing, can ski pisted blacks confidentaily, moguled blacks okay ish!. ie Mont Fort/Tortin

Now I am skiing with a lot more weight on my shins, my feet are moving forward in the boot, I think the GTS10 are now too flexible as my skill level increases.

I am looking aat Nordica Speedmachine 10 they have a flex of 100 - 110, do you think this is to great a jump ???.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thunderer wrote:
I am looking to buy new boots.

I currently have a pair of Nordica GTS10 flex 80-90,

Now I am skiing with a lot more weight on my shins, my feet are moving forward in the boot

If you have weight on your shins, then logically, your foot would move back in the boot?

If the foot is moving forward in the boot, then perhaps the liner has packed down to be a little too roomy?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowbunny

Yes that has probably happened, the boots have now been used for approx 12 weeks skiing.

So on the basis the liners have packed down I definatly need new boots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thunderer, Well, if you go and see a good bootfitter, they might be able to adjust your boots, as long as they were the correct size when they were new. Of course, if you want new boots then that's different Toofy Grin 12 weeks is not nearly long enough for a properly fitted boot.

All roads lead to CEM or the Zookeepers Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowbunny,

I suspect when I bought the boots I was a a total beginner and the Ski shop man said "are they okay" I said " yes fine they are nice a comfy" !! (compared to rental boots they were) In my naivety I probably ended up buying boots that were a little too big .

So are Speedmachine 10 to advanced ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thunderer, Don't worry about flex and Marketed level of boots, get a Bootfitter to check your ankle flex to deduce flex index and foot shape.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
thunderer, Don't worry about flex and Marketed level of boots, get a Bootfitter to check your ankle flex to deduce flex index and foot shape.

Thanks for that, I will be buying through a ski shop, not mail order, but I just wanted to check if I was going in right direction of needing a more advanced boot than I have at present.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thunderer, Whether a more advanced boot is needed should be your bootfitters call. I have put many a beginner in expert boots because of their physiological needs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thunderer wrote:

I am looking aat Nordica Speedmachine 10 they have a flex of 100 - 110, do you think this is to great a jump ???.

Never go to the bootfitter with a pre-conceived idea about which specific make & model of boot you think might be good. The chances of it being the optimum boot for your specific foot are slim to non-existent. It's better to go in there completely open-minded and go with the bootfitter's recommendation. Obviously the end result will only be as good as the bootfitter you choose.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thunderer, there are ski shops and ski shops. I have never brought mail order, but have had poor fitting I would say 3 out of 5 times I bought boots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All advice taken, I will let the boot fitter advise.

But I am still not sure he can make the decision on my requirment for the amount of flex, he hasn't see me ski.

I am trying to get a handle if my present boots (Nordica GTS10 flex 80-90) which I have had since I was a beginner need now to be stiffer, at the end of the day I don't to walk away with the wrong boots.

I need guidance to now which way I need to go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The fore/aft flex of a boot should be a little less than the range of your ankle, to support you without restricting you. If you can flex too much, you'll strain your ankles, if you flex too little your skiing will suck so hard it blows. Flex is not relative to the ability of the skiier or their desire to have kit with big numbers on it, but to the range of motion in your ankle.

Having said that, you can always flex a 'stiffer' better fitting boot way more than you can flex a soft bucket of a boot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As Cunners says, matching the boot stiffness to your own individual ankle flex range is what counts. That's another job for the bootfitter and has nothing much to do with your skiing ability.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thunderer wrote:
All advice taken, I will let the boot fitter advise.

But I am still not sure he can make the decision on my requirment for the amount of flex, he hasn't see me ski.

Just remember, "flex" figures are completely meaningless except to compare differnt models from the same manufacturer.

So unless you are staying with the same brand, the bootfitter is much more likely to have a good idea of how different boots compare with each other in terms of flex.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
12 weeks is still a new pair of boots. I agree the liners would have packed down a bit by now. So long as those boots are a good fit for you, I would recommend looking into buying new liners such as Intuitions. Intuition liners are awesome, they have great warmth, yet breath ability. Also they don't pack down much, so they maintain a good fit for a long time. If you are worried they have packed down, then just re-heat them and re-mold them. I have had Intuition liners for around 4 seasons now (100+ day seasons). I won't buy anything else now (although they did come standard with my new Dalbello boots, which are in their 2nd season).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy