Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slight ski buying dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, so last week I skied on Rossignol Zenith Z9 skis, and loved them, so I fancy buying a pair. Reading up they seem to be geared to advanced intermediate whilst the lesser Z5 is more for the intermediate... I've only done 3 weeks skiing so am definitely not advanced, but I seemed to do well on the Z9 skis... so should I buy those, or save 100 quid and go for the Z5 instead? What's likely to be the actual difference? Stiffness, for one thing - I'm guessing? Help!

Jon.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonm, ride wot U like . . . the ONLY difference (besides cost) between skis is how much effort is needed to make then perform in the manner the designer wants them to. That's down to you. A complete novice who's willing to work their nuts off to progress could learn to slide on a factory race ski. It's instruction and will to learn that's more important than the tool.

. . . of course, you could just want to schlep around the 'blues' . . . wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonm, When I bought my first skis I had completed 4 days on hire skis and 2 days demoing the Rossi B2s I then bought. They were described as 'expert' but were in actuality a softish ski that forgave a lot of mistakes. A total punter ski as described by a lot of folk. However, after 10 weeks skiing now I am desperate for a stiffer longer ski. If you feel at ease on the Z9s then go for it; everyone is different in how they respond to the feel of a ski.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 29-02-08 21:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup, the Z9s - even if they're a little above you, you'll grow into them, while you might find the lesser skis don't do it for you anymore in a year or so - so that saving of £100 would be a very false economy.

EDIT - because I was spelling like I came from Alabama!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know either ski but would warn against using a ski that is too much for you.. However, since you have tried the ski and like it, then this is the best way to approach it, rather than spec it and buy it from a review. Maybe marketing positions skis in the market place now rather than being a true advanced or expert's ski....

What do those terms mean anyway...?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you've tried them and you likey, then buy them, don't overthink it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the comments folks... will buy the Z9s I think Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jonm, did you demo the Z9s on anything that could be termed 'difficult snow': ice, frozen chunks, crust, porridge, moguled up, steeper than your usual wont?

I am mostly in the 'buy whatever you like' camp. Your penny, your pleasure.

I do, however, understand JT's caution, and that prompts my question above. The difference between the 'not quite right' ski and the 'just right ski' isn't very obvious on easy snow. That difference is tremendously magnified on difficult snow.

Here is the kicker: the person will not quite right skis may not realise it and thus we hear of blaming the snow condition, quests for conditions-related tips, and even going off to the bar unless that person has the determination Masque writes of.

Thus, I will say: buy the skis as you like, enjoy them well if you do. If the conditions get difficult for you a) take a lesson b) demo something else, something else including "less advanced skis" c) go off to the bar.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, Very true. If you cut onto the piste edge and find that the demo skis can cope with all the frozen crud and ruts then you should be onto a winner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy